Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Mickey, my angel

Confused about raw foods for cats

I have decided to take the plunge and switch my 13 year old "foster" kitty, Punky, almost exclusively to raw. He is getting fussier about the canned food but loves real meat. I hesitated to make the switch before because I didn't want him to get used to it if his original owners took him back (I know they would not continue to feed it) but it doesn't seem that he will be going anywhere any time soon.

The two younger ones are not interested in raw.

I did buy Urban Carnivore (Carnivora) whole ground chicken once. Is anyone familiar with this brand? Here in Winnipeg it comes in dog size 8 oz. patties but I have found it can easily be cut, while still frozen, with a large sharp knife into kitty size portions. Punky likes it.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of ready made raw pet food here in Winnipeg that is strictly meat. The only other one I have found here in Winnipeg is Natures Variety frozen raw but it also contains some fruits and vegetables which I understand are unnecessary for cats.

It's funny that when I went to buy it, the lady at the store told me I should get the Natures Variety because the Urban Carnivore didn't contain any vegetables and was not nutritionally complete for cats. I thought it was the other way around.

What do you think of my feeding this particular brand to him as a regular diet? Am I on the right track? Does it contain everything he needs? What about things like taurine? I might still give him a little canned now and then if he will eat it but he is getting fussier and fussier. Are some varieties better for cats than others. For example, bison and elk are not something a cat would eat in the wild but there are things like chicken, duck, lamb, beef and rabbit.

Here is some information from their website.

http://www.carnivora.ca/html/feature...ucts/index.cfm

I know a lot of you make your own homemade raw diet but I don't have a grinder and besides to feed just one cat the readymade would be easier and more convenient and actually less expensive than the better quality canned.

I am also a little concerned about him getting too much bone but if I supplemented it with a little muscle meat like chicken or beef I might throw off the nutritional balance.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; June 13th, 2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Added something.