Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 27th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Dog has sore on roof of mouth /Gums red

My 3 year old Boarder Collie has a sore about the size of a dime on the roof of her mouth. Her gums also look red. You can tell it hurts her. Ideas on what this could be? I don't see anything stuck in her mouth. She goes to the vet today.
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:32 AM

to hear that your furbaby isn't feeling well. Happy to hear that she will be seeing the vet. Please let us know how the vet visit goes.
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Hey Toney,
I had a border collie X growing up, and we found that if we gave her chew toys (especially raw hide bones) she would actually chew them until her mouth and gums would bleed, we knew it hurt her, but she just did not know when to stop!! :sad: . After that we would just give it to her for short periods of time and then take it away. (very difficult with a border collie X, as she would chew furniture, if she didn't have toys!! )
Does your dog have chew toys or raw hide toys, as this maybe your dogs problem as well.
I would still take her to a vet though.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:37 AM

rawhide chew toys

Thanks for the suggestions....we have had problems with other animals with the rawhide chews and we have never given them to Wilson. She does have the real bones but she is just not a chewer. The new puppy we have, I could see this happening with her! Wilson's other symptoms are vomiting a yellow vile that has the consistency of runny scrambled eggs (sorry if anyone has just had breakfast). She is sluggish and unresponsive to us when we call her. She won't bark at the dogs who are outside (like she always does). She won't eat (2 days now). She has a yellow discharge in her eyes every morning and even if I wipe her eyes in the morning, it comes back all day. She is on her way to the vet right now so we will see what is wrong. Will post results of the vet visit when we return home......
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Good luck to you and Wilson, hope all goes well at the Vet .

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Just read...any word yet?
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:28 PM

long day....

Home from the 2 hour visit to the vet this morning with Wilson. She was so dyhydrated that the vet could not draw blood from either of her legs and had to go into the vain in her neck today. He also got a urine sample. He ran alot of tests and came to the conclusion that she must have contracted some sort of virus that has caused her to vomit and not hold down food. ( the scrambled egg vomit was mucus and vial) She became dyhydrated.(and grumpy). The sore in her mouth (and several other small ones he found today) are actually ulcers caused by the vomiting and stomach upset. He said they were a symptom not the cause of her illness. He said her kidneys were beginning to shut down and this is why she became so ill this morning and last night. He injected her with water under the skin (it swelled up in a big pocket and went into her system within an hour). He gave her an antibiotic shot and put her on oral antibiotics for the next two weeks as well. He gave her Tagament to control the vomiting. He also recommended Gatorade for fluids. He checked her glucouse level and it was down due to not eating and the Gatorade will help with increase the glucouse level quickly. (however, I believe the sores in her mouth are causing her too much pain to drink the "juice" drink) She will barely lick at it. She will however eat ice. This has worked well so far today. The vet also put her on a boiled chicken and white rice diet for the next two days. I made almost a soup mixture by adding alot of water to the rice and chicken so I did get a good amount of water into her today. Not enough but better then the last two days have been. $224.00 later, we are home and trying to pay some attention to our 6 month old puppy who is here and wanting to know why Wikson doesn't want to play with her right now!

My husband says I need to explain that Wilson is a girl. She is black and white like a soccer ball or volleyball. We watched the movie with Tom Hanks, Castaway, and he had that ball he called Wilson as his buddy. The name just sorta stuck and Wilson started coming to it!!! We tell her "I love you Wilson! "Just like Tom Hanks did when the ball floated away from him!!! People just look at us when we tell them it's a girl! We love her to death and sure hope she mends quickly.....Thanks for the advice and listening to me explain the whole situation. It is my hope this might help someone else. If we would have waited much longer she could have gone into kidney failure and we could have lost her.....that's scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:34 PM

Glad to hear that she is on the mend. One of the best examples of why it is important to have vets look at furbabies when they get sick. I am so happy for you that you didn't wait.
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:37 PM
banned user

I'm glad to hear that Wilson will be okay!
I love the Wilson story, sounds like something my husband and I would do... I love you Wilson!!!!!... I can hear Tom now... :love: Very cool name!
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:42 PM

Wilson update

Wanted to post some important info for everyone. Things have not been great with Wilson since our last post. When we brought her home from the vet last week we had high hopes that his thoughts of what was wrong with her would cure her and all would mend. Today I dropped her off at the vet and we thought she would have exploratory surgery by noon. She has not been eating or drinking anything all weekend. She spent yesterday on IV fluids and antibiodics at his office. I was able to pick her up and bring her home last night but this morning things were no better. I left her there thinking he was going ahead with the surgery. However he called me and changed his mind. He said he had a gut feeling that the knife was not the way to go just yet. He thinks, and he is not sure, that she may have a disease called Addison's. She has all the symptoms of it. So today they did the test to see and we should have the results by tomorrow night or first thing on thursday. I am happy that our vet thought this thing out and didn't just put her under the knife to come up with a quick (and expensive) diagnosis. He seems very concerned about how he is caring for her and I think he wants to explore every avenue. I can't believe at this point that we are hoping for a diagnosis of a disease!!! How crazy have things gotten? But when you watch her just sit there all depressed like and not eating you just hope they can tell you what is wrong and go from there. At least I am understanding that this is treatable and she can live a good life. I will post our test results and try to help some other pet....thanks for listening again!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh, I just read this, I'm sorry. Poor Wilson! (Love the name.)
I don't know anything about Addison's disease & dogs....your vet sounds very caring and careful too. I hope you can find a way to manage it? I know humans can live long normal lives with Addisons.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for Wilson & your family.

I just did a search, to educate myself on Addisons. You may have found this site already, but just in case - it's very comprehensive.
http://www.addisondogs.com/
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:08 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

If Wilson does have Addison's it's a good thing your vet did not do Sx. The stress of Sx on a dog with Addisons can be dangerous. It is recommended to double up on prednisone a few days prior too & after any stressful situation like Sx. My dog Ciara was treated for Addisons for 3 years...turns out she never had it.
The test being done is an ACTH stimulation...it takes only a few hours. The blood samples are read by an endocrinologist and takes a few days...good luck!
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:54 PM

Wilson update again

Yes according to the test Wilson does have Addison's disease. She is responding well to the prednisone and she is at last eating (P/D special food) and today she actually drank from her bowl!!! Oh the joy we had today!!!

We made another visit to the vet this morning but he opted to not give fluids since she is making an attempt to hydrate herself. We will assess her situation again tomorrow. Each day she improves but is far from well.

I am so glad to hear that someone took the time to research Addison's. If one person can benefit I am happy. Let's save our animal friends!!

We are hangin in there and will keep all posted. Thank you.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:58 PM

Addison's web site

Thank you for the link on the Addison's dogs. I had not fiound that link and it is great. I am off to read it! Thanks.....
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Happy News

Thanks for updating on Wilson. I am sure it must be a relief to know what is wrong and to be seeing some improvements. Your vet's one of the good one's which is very fortunate for all of you. Thanks for sharing and giving us more knowledge.