Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old December 27th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Tantau's Bernstein Rose
Tipsy Imperial Concubine, hard to grow, but worth it if you succeed.
Cosmos.
Attached Images

Old December 27th, 2012, 10:55 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Very pretty, GF. I love that rose that you didn't like at first, too! Gorgeous color! Is it scented?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Strongly fragrant with blooms predominantly borne on single stems, Hazel
. I think it might have a better perfume than Firefighter, a similar red beauty.
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

This flower was a very pleasant surprise for me this morning, the first Spider Lily I've grown. The pot it is in was behind a garden chair so I hadn't noticed it getting ready to do its thing.
Spider Lily
Italian White sunflower.
Double Delite sunflower.
Attached Images

Old December 28th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

GF, the spider lily is spectacular!
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:10 PM

I agree, the spider lily is really unique.
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Those are all three pretty spectacular in my book!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I put the Spider Lily up there with Sprekelia, as you said, DD and Lindapalm, unique and spectacular. I'm glad I've tried some of the better bulbs, but then I'm in a garden forum where the other members inspire me with their knowledge and gardening expertise, and their love of the unusual. Glad there are not many Queenslanders because they really do have the most beautiful tropical plants that I could never grow down here in the south.
Here is an unusual little Geranium next. Just the occasional leaf on those funny stems and a different sort of flower.
A green and white Zinnia. Not a good year for these plants sad to say.
Finally, I think this sunflower is called Solar Flare, I need to check though tomorrow. Love all the sunflowers, Hazel.
Attached Images

Old December 29th, 2012, 01:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm a big fan of sunflowers, too! We have quite a few native varieties growing in the wild here. That geranium is really neat!!

Old December 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, I like the geranium, only trouble is it breaks easily, at those joins you can see in the stem. All it means I guess is that you end up with a few smaller plants, I just shove the broken bits straight into the potting mix.
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So the broken bits root?

Old December 30th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, any sort of geranium is easy to grow from broken bits.
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I never knew that! I'll have to try it. I've never had much luck propagating any plant by that method, though...

Old December 30th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm trying to get pelargoniums started right now from pieces a friend gave me and they are doing fairly well.
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:17 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Even though i dont have a green thumb and dont know squat about flowers only what i like about the look of them..i'm still really enjoying your pics.
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, there is another side of gardening in the summer down under, apart from pretty flowers. First another visit from this young fellow, I relocated him back to a garden bed that he'd left after I watered it. Later hubby tells me the cat, Ginger, has caught a young goanna. Apparently he presented himself at the gazebo to show off his prize, calling out to hubby to make sure he noticed. Then he took it off under the house. OK as long as he ate it, otherwise it'll really smell. Finally, the hat trick of 3, I asked hubby to get me a bird net out of the shed, to cover an apple tree, and this is what he found. A brown snake had got tangled in that black net and strangled itself. People actually lay pieces of that black net on the ground where they have seen snakes, once they get their head through it sadly they can't get out. I must find a box or trunk to store ours in, it's not a nice death for a snake.
Attached Images

Old December 31st, 2012, 10:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Love the lizard! Is that one of those blue-tongues?

That was a big brown snake! Aren't those venomous? So even if you'd found it in time, you wouldn't have been able to safely free it?

Old December 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

That is a nice looking lizard.To bad about the snake.what could you do for it if you did find it in time.
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't know whether you could free them, Hazel, it'd be a pretty nasty snake by the time you did and they are one of the world's deadliest snakes. They are very fast too. Seeing they continue to hang around buildings if there is a food source, e.g. mice, you either need to get them relocated, or kill them. Sometimes they are found with their heads caught in soft drink cans, which they can't back out of , but those nets must also catch a lot. We had a live snake in a net, at ground level, when I had my dogs out in the same area for exercise one time. Tammy spotted it just when I was going to take them back in and would not come away, I had to pick her up and carry her. Thankfully no dog got bitten. That's not a big Brown by the way, I saw a 7 footer a mile from here, and Ian has seen 2 big ones like that down at the hay shed. You just know you are going to die if something like that bites you.
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:03 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Is there a vaccine for a bite from one of them?.
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, but have to get it in time. Knew of a lad who got bitten on the ankle while sitting milking a cow, he thought it was just a grass seed at first, anyway although it'd be 20 miles at the most to the clinic, the Dr came out to meet them partway. The boy was okay. I guess it all depends on how many bites and how much venom you get.
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oy! Glad he survived!!

Old January 1st, 2013, 01:01 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Thats good that he lived.must be a real scary feeling
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, and another friend got bitten on the finger when picking up a rock to give to a friend for her garden rockery. How unlucky can you be, to pick up one with a snake under it. Anyway, her symptoms sounded really dreadful and scary, so even though she survived, it's obviously not a trip you want to take. I'd hate to imagine how many horses and cows etc. get killed after stepping on them, or dogs after they try to kill them. My friend Di lost one of her cats, a Siamese, she found it and the dead snake lying side by side. They are the worlds second most dangerous snake, the Taipan up in Queensland is the top of the list. Oh, and that one dead in the bird netting measured 4 foot 8 inches by the way.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Nice size snake not to big for lenght. my old female ball python was 4ft.but also not the worlds 2nd most deadliest snake. but big enough to have a quick strike range.
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Something other than roses for a start. Liatris starting to flower, Johnny Jump Ups, and Kangaroo Paw.
Attached Images

Old February 11th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful sunflowers again. Hope I am not posting these for a second time.
Attached Images

Old February 11th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Smooth Sunglow.
Unknown rose, tag got lost.
Raspberry Tiger.
Attached Images

Old February 11th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I loves Johnny jump up flowers . We might have fall down Barkingdog in my back yard if I am not careful.
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Smooth Swirl, which is not my favorite rose. It has very stiff petals, doesn't last long and I was disappointed with its colour. The next two, Queen Adelaide and Pope John Paul 2nd, have lovely fragrance and will always have a spot in my garden.
Attached Images