Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old September 1st, 2012, 04:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Spring '12

The first day of Spring is over in my garden, it's now dark. Today was not just the first day of Spring here, it was also National Wattle Day. So, first photo has to be our National Emblem here in Oz, the Golden Wattle. Second one is some blossom on a young Manchurian Pear, and I wish I could recall the name of the red flower. Maybe I don't even know it seeing a friend gave it to me. LOL. It's been a nice day weather-wise, but getting warmer still over the next couple of days. They forecast 23C for Tuesday, yay!
Attached Images

Old September 1st, 2012, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
The first day of Spring is over in my garden, it's now dark. Today was not just the first day of Spring here, it was also National Wattle Day. So, first photo has to be our National Emblem here in Oz, the Golden Wattle. Second one is some blossom on a young Manchurian Pear, and I wish I could recall the name of the red flower. Maybe I don't even know it seeing a friend gave it to me. LOL. It's been a nice day weather-wise, but getting warmer still over the next couple of days. They forecast 23C for Tuesday, yay!
The Golden Wattle are very pretty but I think I am going sneeze looking at them!
Old September 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Their perfume is lovely, if you don't suffer from allergies.
Old September 1st, 2012, 10:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They sure are pretty!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

The bees must be very hungry here, I saw one valiantly trying to open a tulip bud today. This one found a poppy, it was lucky.
This little tulip, Tulipa Saxatius, did open, but it's a small species tulip the bee was after. I am impatient to see the colour seeing it was gifted to me.
Third photo is the new Hellebore I picked up when I went shopping. Looks like it will flower this year so might post a photo later.
Attached Images

Old September 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

The first photo shows it's Springtime I think. My pale blue Echium starting to flower, plus the white lilac putting on leaves.
Love Cerinthe Major, hope you don't get sick of seeing it.
I should know what the succulent is, but forget. It is so cold that I am amazed that it is going to flower.
Attached Images

Old September 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

There are a few wallflowers left from last year to add a splash of colour.
These Lucerne trees must be Heaven for the local wild bees.
Must say I do like pretty pastels.
Attached Images

Old September 6th, 2012, 11:58 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Awesome blooms, GF!! I never get tired of cerinthe! And the succulent is breathtaking, whatever it is!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 6th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

What beautiful flowers all of them! I'm awe struck. Of course I truly love your little honey bee.
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Must say that I like Candytuft, whether it be white or mauve.
Tulipa Saxatilis in full bloom.
Double white spotted Hellebore.
Attached Images

Old September 21st, 2012, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Veltheimia capensis.
Hellebore Yellow Picotee.
Poppy.
Attached Images

Old September 21st, 2012, 01:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That double hellebore is gorgeous!!! I like the Tulipa Saxatilis, too--I've never seen or heard of that one before!

Old September 21st, 2012, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

From memory that Tulipa Saxatilis may have come from the Digger's Club and they have some rare plants. It is supposed to tolerate heat and cold, which is why I bought it. This other species tulip seems to be tolerating the conditions here though too.
I agree on the Hellebore, very pleased that I bought it.
Attached Images

Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:43 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Wow! Love the triangular petals on that last tulip! Beautiful!

Old October 4th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

The roses are starting to flower, ditto for the irises - yay!! So, first rose is Pink Parfait. I'll mix it up by including a dainty little Moraea, then another rose, Black Beauty.
Attached Images

Old October 4th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

The first iris for the season is a fairly plain one, but others are coming soon.
Attached Images

Old October 5th, 2012, 09:27 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I love blue iris!! That little Moraea looks like it might be an iris of some sort, too?

Your roses are, as always, gorgeous!

Is your knee allowing you to get out gardening?

Old October 5th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Funnily enough, my Botanica of garden plants says , about Moraeas ...'These beautiful, iris-like cormous perrenials are native mainly to southern Africa.' I suppose that's why they appeal to anyone who likes irises, and speaking of which, the catalogue arrived from the Tempo Two Iris farm yesterday. WOW!!! Out of this world! Top price $75.(Yikes!) LOL. Reminder to self, MUST win Tattslotto tonight!
I cannot kneel (yet?) so all weeding and planting in the garden has to be done bending over. I'm not good at squatting . So, the knee gets sore, Hazel, but all in all, I'm doing more than I thought I might be able to.
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's good to hear, GF...about getting stuff done, I mean. The $75 iris I'm going to have to pass on!

Good luck with the lotto!!

Old October 6th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I won enough to buy one of their cheap ones only, Hazel . LOL. I might have a planting day today, I want to get some Bearded Irises out of pots seeing I saw what happens when you leave them too long in them ..... a big tangled mess of roots, I had to hose the dirt out of them then carefully tease them apart. Have some petunias to put in and maybe some roses.
Old October 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hey, a cheap one is better than none!! I never win anything at the lotto. I think I'm saving up all my luck for the Big Win! Yeah, right!

Old October 7th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

But someone, or was it 3 lucky people, won over $1,000,000. Not fair I reckon. LOL.

Here is a link to Tempo Two - enjoy! I am toying with the idea of getting into Dwarf Bearded Irises, have you ever grown them?
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nope. I've never even heard of them before this thread. Do they look like the full-sized flower only smaller? Or do they look more like Siberian iris?

They say you can't win if you don't play. And I fall for that and buy a lotto ticket every week!

Old October 7th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, forgot the link. This one is to the Dwarf irises, new this season. I love the one called Rock Goblin.

http://www.tempotwo.com.au/Tempo_Two/Dwarfs.html

From this page you can see the new Talls and Medians as well.

http://www.tempotwo.com.au/Tempo_Two/Welcome.html

Re the lotto. I only shop fortnightly, so one ticket per fortnight.
Old October 8th, 2012, 10:07 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ooooooo...pretty pretty!!!! Those dwarf irises are beautiful!

Old October 8th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

In the catalogue there is a large collection of them and a special deal, 10 of the $8 plants for $70. It'd be a nice introduction to them. I don't really want to order Tall Bearded Iris this year as I have 3 big pots full that have to be put into the ground after flowering, plus an order I put in last season still has to be collected. I am weeding a rose bed this morning that is very overgrown, then maybe doing some mowing. I'll see how my back holds out. We have appalling weather forecast for later this week. It's been a dismal Spring so far. Cold!
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:09 PM

Goldfields, you sound like your doing good since your surgery. Hows the pain in comparison to before the surgery?
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I was going to ask before but forgot--why do you pot your bearded iris, GF?

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I seem to get all sorts of pain with the knee now, lindapalm, if I do too much. Sometimes it can be too much bending down pulling weeds, too much walking, or just turning the wrong way, pivotting, so when I take Jarrah to Obedience on Sunday(hopefully) I will have to be careful. None of the excruciating pain that came if I rolled over while asleep, prior to the op. though. I don't limp either, just walk a bit slower.
Hazel, my garden had became a jungle, the rose beds were full of weeds, particularly out in what used to be a small sheep paddock, so I couldn't put the irises into the ground . It's taken till now to catch up after the op.. In this first photo, that big stump of a gum tree behind the mower has 20 roses in a circular bed around it and today I weeded all that, plus mowed in there, and in this second area I mowed it so I can lay a track there tomorrow for Jarrah. I feel good enough to want to weed some more beds tomorrow but the weather might be against me.
Attached Images

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh, the third photo there is the weeds I was up against, so tall I couldn't see some of the roses. LOL.