Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Doggie Wench

I think bleeding hearts and dark green/blue hostas would look awfully nice in that bed .

http://www.perennials.com/seeplant.html?item=1.187.050
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:53 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The only problem with Bleeding Hearts is that by mid summer a lot of the time it is completely dormat. It disappears until the next spring when it pops out of the ground and does it's show again.
rainbow - If you want some shrubs to anchor the ends you could look for dwarf conifers. You can get some slow growers that don't need a lot of maintenance. Junipers are a good choice and there are many around. I know Canadian Tire usually has a good variety of them and they aren't too costly.
I know you are overwhelmed by all the info but remember, it may take a little work to figure out what you want but, once the plants are in and established, you really don't have to worry about them. You want to make sure the perennials you get are ones that are long lived. Most of the ones we have mentioned are.
Do you have a friend who knows a little about gardening that can go with you to the nursery or Can Tire to help? That's always a good start. Write down some of the plants you are interested in and go from there.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; May 11th, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow 14+,I did not know there are that many Coral-Bells variety..I have quiet a few of the ordinary ones,they are a good filler for nice colour.

Rainbow,I have an Alberta Spruce in my back garden,I've had it for years and so far only has grown to 3 1/2 feet in 5 years and is really pretty,no maintenance needed.

Believe me,I too am not a gardener,lived in apartments my whole life,but it's very gratifying to look at what you can do.
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:18 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Something else you can do is to plant some vinca vine (periwinkle) and forget about them once established. There are a ton of variety with them too. Purple blooms early in the spring and last a long time. Mine are still blooming. Then you have the really nice looking foliage afterwards that will fill in your garden quickly.

http://www.flowers.vg/flowers/vines-vinca.htm

Ooops, never mind. Vinca can cause stomach upset if ingested. Kitties won't like it.

Please stay away from Trumpet Vine. They are beautiful but if not contained in pots underground they are not a good plant to have. It has the ability to send out shoots up to 30 feet away from the original plants and can cause major structural damage to homes. If you google it you can read horror stories of the vines coming up through bathroom floors (in the States), breaking through foundations, etc.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

14+,the Phlox-seeds you gave me to plant,will have blooms this year,lots of buds
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Raibow,if you like Lillies,the Stella d'Oro,blooms all summer,unlike my other Lillies.
Sorry,the second one is not a Lily,but the first one is a Stella.
Attached Images

Old May 11th, 2010, 11:05 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
14+,the Phlox-seeds you gave me to plant,will have blooms this year,lots of buds
That is great!! I still need to find time to go uncover my beds from under all the weeds.

Old May 12th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I can send you some purple iris in August for next year. After they bloom, the leave a nice green plant.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else