Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Garden nut

The Lily show has begun!

They are just starting... many more to come up until late August.

1. "Lollypop" Asiatic
2. unk red Asiatic
3. unk dwarf yellow Asiatic
Attached Images

Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper

Last edited by CearaQC; July 16th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Molly's mama

wow! Love the Lollipop!
beautiful!
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Molly's mama

forgot to ask- how long to lily blooms usually last? Do they only bloom once a summer?
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Garden nut

1. Stella d' Oro daylily
2. unk pink annual flower that self seeds
3. more of unk pink annual flower
Attached Images

Old July 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Garden nut

Some more fuller blooms of the wild Malva type.

And Lamb's Ears flower. Correction - Rose Campion. lol Thanks 14+!
Attached Images

Last edited by CearaQC; July 16th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Garden nut

Hope you all don't mind so many pics!

Finally for today, one of my new Zebrina type Malvas that I got in a trade from last year.
Attached Images

Old July 16th, 2009, 11:28 AM

I loove Malva alcea...are the non-wild ones Malva sylvestris? (sp?)

And your lollipop Asiatic lilies are gorgeous! I have dwarf Asiatics...how tall do the "regular" varieties grow?
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
forgot to ask- how long to lily blooms usually last? Do they only bloom once a summer?
Yep just once a year. :sad:

It all depends on how many blooms per stalk. If it's a mature bulb, you're going to get 12-15 blooms each. Bottom ones open before the top ones. About 2-3 weeks total usually.

But there are soooo many types and colors of bulb Lilies. You can start in the spring with Martagon types, head into June and July with Asiatics and Asiatic hybrids, then move on to Trumpet (Easter type with nice scent) and then finally Oriental with the spicy fragrance that is strong in the evening breezes. There are also Trumpet/Oriental (Orienpet) crosses, Asiatic/Trumpet crosses (LA Hybrid) and Asiatic/Oriental crosses that are scattered throughout the blooming season. Some Orienpet types can reach up to 8 feet tall!!

Those funky crosses are created by a method called "embryo rescue." Because they don't hybridize naturally, they take polllen from one parent and apply to the mother, wait for embryos to form, then they basically do like a c-section of the seed pod and "rescue" the embryos and grow in test tubes with plant agar medium in a highly sterilized laboratory environment. If they don't do the rescue, the embryos will not mature, die in the pod and only leave chaff.

But unfortunately I don't have any Martagons, no species types and no funky hybrids except for a few Trumpet/Asiatics called LA Hybrids (which are short lived but are heavy baby bulb producers). Majority are Asiatics, with about 4 bulbs of Trumpets and about 10 bulbs of Orientals.

Orientals are slow to make babies.

I also do a "Save the Easter Lily" campaign every year because sooo many people buy Easter lilies, only to toss them in the garbage when blooming is finished. These naturally bloom in late June/early July and they are forced in greenhouses to bloom early for the Easter season. They don't need "saving" but I hate to see the waste and encourage people to replant the bulbs outdoors to enjoy year after year.

If you want to trade lily bits, I have all these mixed varieties in the freezer bag. I don't know what colors they are so it will be a surprise to you! We want to do a Pets.ca trade in Sept/Oct so that can be tossed in the mail with anything else you want to trade with others, and get something in return. Will save you some extra postage anyhow. I'll put mine in the fridge to keep longer in time for the trade. There's probably over 50 babies in there but I can get more for anyone that wants.

I think there's about another 20 yet to bloom all the way through until early September. Many will need to be separated this fall so it will be an ideal time for me to share. Each mature stalk will have between 10-20 babies attached to it.

Sorry for the wordy post!
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfFashion View Post
I loove Malva alcea...are the non-wild ones Malva sylvestris? (sp?)

And your lollipop Asiatic lilies are gorgeous! I have dwarf Asiatics...how tall do the "regular" varieties grow?
The label on the trade packet said Zebrina Malva, so I think it's a sylvestris. First time growing them, so don't know much about them. These are almost 20 inches tall. I have 6 plants, so will have lots of seed to share!

Well, so many types of lilies. Some are as short as 6 inches and others can get as tall as 8 feet. Asiatics normally around 3-4 feet.

Check out the Himalyan Lily (Cardiocrinum giganteum) for a giant specimen. Those can get up to 10 feet tall, but are only hardy to zones 7-10. :sad:
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:41 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Love all the lilies! My yellow and orange are out too. I just wish they lasted longer.
The Zebrina Malva was the one I had last year. It didn't come back this year. :sad:
The Lambs Ear is actually a Rose Campion. Lamb's Ear is much woolier and larger leafed. I have both growing in my beds. I thought they were Lamb's Ear as well when I first started growing them. My mom soon set me straight.
Love that little pink flower! I keep finding it growing in different areas of my yard. First time I saw them I tried to transplant them. It didn't work. :sad:
Beautiful show!! Keep em coming!!
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Love all the lilies! My yellow and orange are out too. I just wish they lasted longer.
The Zebrina Malva was the one I had last year. It didn't come back this year. :sad:
The Lambs Ear is actually a Rose Campion. Lamb's Ear is much woolier and larger leafed. I have both growing in my beds. I thought they were Lamb's Ear as well when I first started growing them. My mom soon set me straight.
Love that little pink flower! I keep finding it growing in different areas of my yard. First time I saw them I tried to transplant them. It didn't work. :sad:
Beautiful show!! Keep em coming!!
Then Veseys lied on the seed package.

Thanks for the ID!

I'll be saving a ton of seeds. Feel free to say gimme!
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
The label on the trade packet said Zebrina Malva, so I think it's a sylvestris. First time growing them, so don't know much about them. These are almost 20 inches tall. I have 6 plants, so will have lots of seed to share!

the pictures you posted of these, look like the ones I have out front, but they measure about 46 inches tall, I don't know about the seeds I just left them last year ( someone told me to cut them back first frost)and they came back, only half of them though.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

This is what lamb's ear looks like. This is not from my gardens. I googled it. Have to work soon so don't have time to go take a pic of mine.
Name:  Lambs_ears_sunflower_lirope[1].jpg
Views: 186
Size:  74.4 KB
It doesn't do any good to google either. I noticed they have rose campion in with lamb's ear too. I don't think they are even in the same family. Might be wrong though. Rose campion is a Lynchis. Lamb's ear is a Stachys. Will check my encyclopedia later as well.
I hate when seed companies mislabel seeds. It's happened to me as well from Stokes.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Garden nut

Oh wow 14+ thanks for posting the pic.

I had some of that too!! But I had so much silvery furry stuff that I yanked some and tossed it because I had to make room for the broccoli. All I'm left with is the Rose Campion. It all looked the same in early spring. :sad:

I had no idea. The type in the picture is the type that the hummingbirds went nuts over last summer.

Thank you very much for the info!
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM
150% PRO S/N

Glad to help. Just watch the rose campion. They tend to take over everything. If you don't get to the seeds before the pod bursts they spread like wildfire!! I love them and have the room so I let them go but if you have a small area be careful. They do tend to pop!
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Garden nut

Um, I think I have some room to spare. (2007 pic)

Old July 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
150% PRO S/N

I would say you do! Very nice! But you had mentioned ripping out some of the silver to make room for the broccoli so I thought maybe you didn't have room in your beds.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Garden nut

Yes but I didn't have any more dirt prepared to stick them in. :sad: At the time the other planting spots were still covered with snow and frozen. It's mostly rocks, rocks and more rocks under the sod and takes a long time to prepare. Like a whole afternoon just for a 4 ft x 2 foot section. But eventually I'd like to see one massive border all the way across. May take 5 years or more to propagate enough stuff. And that's why I trade. Would take a fortune to buy stuff to fill it all out. About 80% of the flowers were from trades or rescued from someone else's garbage.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Molly's mama

ok- deal, we will do a Pets.ca trade in the fall! In the meantime I will get some of those bulbils before they fall off, and put them in dirt in the fridge
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Garden nut

Yay! *happy dance* Wait until they are nice and ripe first and starting to fall off on their own.

Just keep watch for new pics to come and see if there's anything special you want. Otherwise you'll get a surprise pack.
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Your pink unknown looks a lot like the catchfly that comes up here....not sure exactly what variety ours is, though.

Love that darker malva variety!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Kitty pimp

all i can say is wow
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Garden nut

Hazel thank you so much! I believe you are 100% correct. I did some image searches and came up with a Latin name of Silene armeria.

I read they are also called "None So Pretty." But I've tended to call them annoying. They reseed so much I have to yank some to prevent them from overdoing it.
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree - wow! What beautiful flowers you have. All the technical names though, too much for my little brain. I did find a couple more stalks of the double hollyhocks though, so if I am able to figure out when to catch the seeds I will certainly donate them to the seed exchange. I don't think I want any seeds personally as my flower beds are limited. Like I said, my neighbour "donated" these to us... How come your lawn is so nice and green and not all dog spotty??? Lucky you.
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
I agree - wow! What beautiful flowers you have. All the technical names though, too much for my little brain. I did find a couple more stalks of the double hollyhocks though, so if I am able to figure out when to catch the seeds I will certainly donate them to the seed exchange. I don't think I want any seeds personally as my flower beds are limited. Like I said, my neighbour "donated" these to us... How come your lawn is so nice and green and not all dog spotty??? Lucky you.
That yard pic was taken before we got the girls. Near the front sliding glass door, lots of bare spots. In the back too, lots of burnt spots.

If you want to donate that's great! I'm sure we will all take just about anything. I will take anything perennial, tall and showy.
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Well that explains a lot! My front lawn is nice because the dogs aren't allowed out there (except when dad's not looking...)
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I love lilies they are my fav flower!

I have a question for you. I use to get quite a few seeds? bulblets? along the stem of my lilies. And my lilies use to spread like crazy. I have been dead heading the flowers and can't rmemeber if I always dead headed them or not. The reason why I'm asking, is because I haven't seen those bulblet things on the lilies for a very long time. I didn't know if it was just the new lilies I had bought and maybe they don't multiply by the stem?

Does your lollipop get bulblets along it stems? I have those but I don't remember mine getting bulblets.

We had major renovations 5 or 6 years ago and my gardens got dug up and messed up so I was thinking maybe the lilies just got stressed?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Ceara,beautiful flowers,all of them
I am no great fan of Lillies,they are beautiful but I wish they bloomed longer,but that's unfortunaly the case with many plants.
The Lolly-Pop is stunning..
I have to look in to the Malva,never seen one of those before.
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
I love lilies they are my fav flower!

I have a question for you. I use to get quite a few seeds? bulblets? along the stem of my lilies. And my lilies use to spread like crazy. I have been dead heading the flowers and can't rmemeber if I always dead headed them or not. The reason why I'm asking, is because I haven't seen those bulblet things on the lilies for a very long time. I didn't know if it was just the new lilies I had bought and maybe they don't multiply by the stem?

Does your lollipop get bulblets along it stems? I have those but I don't remember mine getting bulblets.

We had major renovations 5 or 6 years ago and my gardens got dug up and messed up so I was thinking maybe the lilies just got stressed?

Debbie
Hi, I'll do the best I can.

This is the terminology I use

Seeds are the brown papery things inside the large ovary that's left at the top of the stalk after the flower is gone. It starts off small and green and then balloons up, slowly turns brown and begins to crack open.

Bulbils are the brown/black knob things all along the stem at the leaf axis.

Bulblets are baby bulbs, self cloned underground naturally along the stem roots. Lilies are interesting. They have fleshy roots on the bottom of the bulb and they act like fingers, literally. If the bulb isn't happy at the depth planted, it has the ability to dig itself a bit deeper. Sounds strange but true. I have one, but can't remember which one, that was planted at the standard 6 inches deep. But when I dug up the clump one fall they were 12 deep.

http://www.northstarlilysociety.com/...g%20lilies.htm

Then there are offsets. These are more mature bulbs split from the main bulb you planted. One bulb divides into two but they stay kind of stuck to each other if not disturbed. Then those two will divide again. So if digging up a mature clump there can be expected many large bulbs all stuck together. They easily pry apart by hand though.

Ok. Now without seeing pictures, I can't really say for sure what happened with yours. If a lily is stressed, it may sulk the following year but will bounce back right away the year after. If a bulb is heavily damaged and splits apart, it won't flower for a few years, but will regrow new bulbs from the bits left behind. First year it grows a tiny stem appearing like grass. 2nd year it's a teeny tiny version of a larger stem. 3rd year normally it may attempt to flower with a single flower at the top. (Sadly this is the size bulb that many large seed companies ship out.) 4th year it may have 3 flowers. When mature, 12-15 blooms per stalk. Martagon lilies are a bit different. Since they are smaller flowers each stalk may have up to 20.

So a stem bubils type lily should recover like what I said above. I have never known one to not put out bulbils after being damaged. But I don't even have a bulbil-making lily so not 100% sure on that. Was duped in a mail order once, thinking it would be included in the pack. But it was a tiger fake. Then I bought two potted lily at the local nursery which was labeled "tiger." So now I have 3 tiger fakes in 3 different colors and no stem bulbils.

Maybe yours was damaged beyond self repair. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment. What I call a "true" tiger has dark orange petals that recurve back towards the base of the flower and have black specks on the petals.

No my Lollypops don't make bulbils. I wish they did! Lollypop was the very first lily bulb we bought for $1 locally when we got the house and wanted to start a flower garden. It was also the very first lily I used to test out the scale propagation.

There are other plants that people call tiger lilies but they aren't even lilies at all! But have the name lily because the flowers look so similar. They are actually Daylily, which in Latin are Hemerocallis. They grow from a tiny yellow tuber, not a big round bulb like the Lilium.

Daylilies grow from tubers and create "fans" of leaves. Then at flowering time it sends up a stalk called a scape. Now this is the interesting part: some daylily types produce a baby plant on the scape below the flowers which is called "proliferation." Daylily flowers typically last only 12-24 hours then wilt away, thus the name. Daylily seeds are also totally different. The pods could have 10-20 black shiny round seeds whereas the Lilium has papery thin brown seeds.

Some Daylily have the ability to rebloom a 2nd flush whereas Liliums send up only one stalk per bulb per year.

Whew that was long! I hope nobody's brain hurts after all that. Maybe you all will regret asking me questions.
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Ceara,beautiful flowers,all of them
I am no great fan of Lillies,they are beautiful but I wish they bloomed longer,but that's unfortunaly the case with many plants.
The Lolly-Pop is stunning..
I have to look in to the Malva,never seen one of those before.
I will have seeds to share!

Yes lilies don't last long but there are ways around that. Like getting a whole seasons worth of lilies from spring to fall and then careful placement of other flowers that hide the lily demise. I haven't figured that part out yet.

I feel the same way about bearded iris too. But find the siberian iris flowers last longer.