Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
nope aslan... but I am sure we won't have to look too far for some butts... can you just imagine me walking down Main St peeling butts off the sidewalk, "It's for my slugs! The beer didn't work!"

personally i always needed a smoke when i was drinking beer, the slugs might too. jeesh...
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Garden nut

Quote:
I VERY pro-beer conservation! Thanks for the "alternative" method!
Well I mixed some up and it's out now, with a little roof of plain cardboard creased in half, so it's straddling the container in the dirt. Will see if it captures anything in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Mollywog, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread for a sec, since Cearaq knows alot more than me about plants...Is it possible for a Daylily to cross with a rose, i have a very pale yellow rose, it's three years old, last year i planted a yellow and orange striped daylily behind it, this year two rose buds came out the pale yellow, and the rest are coming out with the orange stripe...Only other rose in that garden is my " Love" rose, petals are red inside, and white outside.
First of all, pictures or it didn't happen! Just kidding.

I will vote no, that it isn't possible, because the rose and daylily belong to two different classifications. Was your rose a grafted type? Sometimes grafted roses can start to flower from the root part of the graft instead of the top that was added. That's the only thing I can think of right now.

But if someone knows more, I love to learn! Feel free to chime in. My "specialty" is really only Lilies. The rest, I only know a little bit about.

Quote:
oh oh and if you're a delphinium fan, do you like Gladeolas(sp?), i find their leaves are much more attractive. If so Mine are getting to the bulb splitting age. I have several different colors, when they bloom i'll post pics for you.
Glads are nice, but I don't personally like them because I'd have to dig them up every year and store the corms somewhere.

Quote:
do you or dh smoke by anychance, put a couple of cigarettes in a jug, or jar or some container and fill with warm water, let it steep into a tea substance, and pour around the plants. Wont hurt your plants and helps get rid of the slugs, also works on aphids and other evil little critters.
I didn't know the tobacco stuff would deter slugs. I wonder if the rhubarb leaf tea would work for them too?
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:14 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

if my spouse shows up before it gets dark i'll take a pic. i knew they were seperate families, just very odd. No idea about the other tea. And nope rose isn't grafted wasn't even a hybrid. my other rose out front is a hybrid and it's behaving normally. silly things.

i've never pulled my glad bulbs, i cut them right back then seriously cover them with leaves and they are fine.
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Garden nut

Quote:
i've never pulled my glad bulbs, i cut them right back then seriously cover them with leaves and they are fine.
Wow lucky!! You must have the hardy to zone 5 type? I did a web search on hardy gladiolus and it said zone 5 and only needed mulching, and no lifting! But I'm in zone 4. :sad:

Post pics!
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

WOW,lots of info,thank's girls
Aslan,cannot wait for your pics,hurry up!!!

I see Glads everywhere lately(while walking Bailey)I never had any luck with them and storing bulbs over the winter,naaah,I always forget where I put them,find them 3 yrs later.

Molly,I thought those little round thingys were buds

I used beer for my slugs,but I like beer too much,so I'll try Aslans method.

I have a bigger problem with Earwigs and for them I put out pieces of garden-hose,they will go in there and in the morning I"rehome"them by flushing them out in my neighbors weedy backyard

You girls must all be young,I do not have the time or patience for seeds,usually I buy the plant and springbulbs,stick them in the ground and it works.
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
WOW,lots of info,thank's girls
Aslan,cannot wait for your pics,hurry up!!!
I have a bigger problem with Earwigs and for them I put out pieces of garden-hose,they will go in there and in the morning I"rehome"them by flushing them out in my neighbors weedy backyard

You girls must all be young,I do not have the time or patience for seeds,usually I buy the plant and springbulbs,stick them in the ground and it works.
Seeds are fun. Watching a teeny tiny seed turn into a big plant is so fascinating to me. But they can be a royal pain, especially if a rare plant. Essential for most veggies. I didn't take any pics this spring but we had seed trays just about all over the house.

I at your earwig solution! Genius!

My bread yeast/sugar/water mix only caught two slugs, but they were BIG slugs. And we've been hand picking for a while now.
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Molly's mama

any more luck with the slug traps? Luckily I don't have slugs (yet ) but I will file that one in my memory for future reference.
Its been rainy and cold here this past week so that hasn't been good for growing much, but my lilies are slowly opening up and I have added some to my kitchen .. they match the paint pretty well, eh!?
Name:  lilies.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  93.4 KB
I was just visiting a friend (playdate for Molly with their dog in their fenced yard ) and was checking out her gardens, she just bought the house last year and it came with a TON of perennials and she has offered to give me any I want! so I am gonna have to head over there soon and do a raid!
I want to give her something in return- I don't have much, but I was thinking of giving her a couple tiger lilies- can you just dig them up and transplant them or do you have to propegate the bulbils??

Last edited by mollywog; July 18th, 2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: picture
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Garden nut

Quote:
any more luck with the slug traps? Luckily I don't have slugs (yet ) but I will file that one in my memory for future reference.
Its been rainy and cold here this past week so that hasn't been good for growing much, but my lilies are slowly opening up and I have added some to my kitchen .. they match the paint pretty well, eh!?
Attachment 55205
I was just visiting a friend (playdate for Molly with their dog in their fenced yard ) and was checking out her gardens, she just bought the house last year and it came with a TON of perennials and she has offered to give me any I want! so I am gonna have to head over there soon and do a raid!
I want to give her something in return- I don't have much, but I was thinking of giving her a couple tiger lilies- can you just dig them up and transplant them or do you have to propegate the bulbils??
If you don't have a garden fork, buy the best you can. I had a cheap one and snapped it right off early this year and had to get another one. But once you get used to a fork you won't go back to a shovel.

Yes you can dig up the whole thing, just make sure you get way down there, about 10 inches deep for a mature bulb so you get the whole thing. Lilies have extra roots around soil level as well as the bulb. Don't do like hubby did and judge the distance wrong and only get the stalks and not the bulb! But you might be better off waiting until blooming is finished. It's up to you. I've done it either way. But sometimes accidents happen when toting around one in bloom.

The flowers really match the kitchen.

I find most perennials transplant well "in the green" as long as you get enough root ball. The only things I found that don't transplant well are the ones with tap roots that look like carrots or parsnips. Those wild malva type flowers here had really big yellowish tap roots and not all survived the move. Sea Holly also has a tap root but I haven't found anyone that has any of that. I got seeds in a trade but they were all bum seeds and never germinated.

Hope that helps!
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Very pretty Mollywog,I always like to have flowers on my table,something my mom always had,if not from my garden,then I buy some.

I found my Lillies to be very tough,I've dug up and replanted many.
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Beautiful!

I've been wanting Delphiniums for a long time. Tried to germinate seeds I got in trades for 2 years in a row and none germinated so I broke down and purchased a 2 inch pot this year of a dark royal blue but it's still teeny tiny.

I grew Delphiums from seeds many years ago. This may help u.

seeds need to be put into the freezer for 24 hours to break dormancy
germination in 20 days
cover seeds lightly

I eventually pulled mine out though cause they kept blowing over in every rain storm whether I had them tied or not.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
I grew Delphiums from seeds many years ago. This may help u.

seeds need to be put into the freezer for 24 hours to break dormancy
germination in 20 days
cover seeds lightly

I eventually pulled mine out though cause they kept blowing over in every rain storm whether I had them tied or not.

Debbie
Yes I tried that. Actually I had enough seeds to attempt several different methods in early spring. None of them worked. I'm going to deal with basal plate cutting propagation from now on. But I will try another one and sow in the fall, leave outside and see what happens in the spring.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Mollywog, was your mom able to identify your purple flower for you? If not, could it possibly be from a bulb? It's pretty easy to check if so. When they are finished flowering dig one up gently. Actually you can do it while they are flowering as long as you don't disturb the roots too much. That might help identifying it.