Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Garden nut

What is that monster vine?

Molly looks like she's having fun with the water.

One lily that has a dark center on the top of the bud will either be red or orange and the lighter color one could be almost anything except the darker colors. It could be yellow, pink, white or bi color. Can't wait to see them bloom!
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
What is that monster vine?

no idea... but we don't like it!!

Molly looks like she's having fun with the water.

One lily that has a dark center on the top of the bud will either be red or orange and the lighter color one could be almost anything except the darker colors. It could be yellow, pink, white or bi color. Can't wait to see them bloom!
Me too! Hopefully it doesn't happen when I am away on vacation! Do Lilies like to be watered often? Thanks for your knowledge!!
I am glad so many Pets members are avid gardeners! Should be called PetsGardens.ca
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Garden nut

Looks to me it will be about a couple of weeks before they open.

Lilies appreciate water, to be sure, but they don't like to have their "feet" wet for an extended amount of time and prefer well drained sandy soil. They benefit from an annual application of fish and bone meal for bulb development but I've never fed mine regular plant nitrogen food and they seem happy.

Don't remove stalks at all until they turn yellow, as that's the food for next year's blooms. Other than that, dig them up every 3-4 years when they've become crowded and you'll have massive bulbs to separate (with lots of baby bulbs along the underground part of the stem and next to the bigger bulbs) and replant with a bit of bonemeal mixed in the planting hole.

This link below explains a lot with drawings. But you shouldn't have to mess with yours for a couple of years yet.

http://www.lilies.org/view-nals-arti...ng-lilies.html

Oh and "true" Tiger lilies make little black knobbies all along the stem at the base of the leaves. If they don't have these bulbils, it's not a true tiger type and just a plain spotted type of Asiatic lily.

Hope this helps! Lilies are really carefree plants for the most part, as long as you don't get the dreaded Red Lily Beetle or a fungus infection called Botrytis (which is easily remedied just by ensuring proper air circulation).

http://www.beetle.lilies.org/
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:02 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I think your vine is a wild grape vine. They are actually grown here on purpose by some people to hide an ugly pole. If that's what it is and you want to get rid of it make sure you get all of the root or you will have it back again next year.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:21 AM

the one with the leaves with the sand on aren't they strawberries
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara1 View Post
the one with the leaves with the sand on aren't they strawberries
no, the leaves are quite large, too big to be strawberry. I am almost certain it is Lady's Mantle.
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I took a couple of pics of my Lady's Mantle this morning. The first one is a baby that has of course come up where it isn't supposed to. I will transplant it to a different area I am working on.
Name:  100_5419.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  70.8 KB
This is part of my big one. The rain this week has flattened it and the Yarrow that grew beside it :sad: but you can still see the leaf shape. It grows quite big. Mine probably covers an area of 2 feet square.
Name:  100_5421.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  72.7 KB
This one is a green Coral Bell. The leaf is quite a bit different from the Lady's Mantle. Hope this helps.
Name:  100_5422.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  62.4 KB

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Molly's mama

thanks so much 14+! I am quite certain it's Lady's Mantle, as the leaves aren't as "waxy" as the Coral Bell. Does your Lady's Mantle have flowers???
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Molly's mama

oh wait... I didn't realize, are those yellow flowers attached to your Lady's Mantle??
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
oh wait... I didn't realize, are those yellow flowers attached to your Lady's Mantle??
Yep. Lady's Mantle isn't grown for it's gorgeous flower as you can see. It's grown for the wonderful leaf and it's mounding habit and colour. It's pretty neat. Make sure once the flowers start going to seed you cut them back or you will be like me and have them popping all over the place.

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

Mollywog - Was doing some checking in my books for the purple flower. Closest I got was the Michaelmas Daisy.
Check them out and see what you think......

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en...gbv=2&aq=f&oq=
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

It may even be a fleabane.....???
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
It may even be a fleabane.....???
I wondered at that myself Winston. But when you put the pics together the fleabane's petals are not as thick as the one mollywog has.
The wonders of nature. Always fooling us.
The best thing you can do mollywog is to take your picture to a nursery/flower center in your area. I am sure they will be able to tell you what it is. I took another look at the Michaelmas and now I am not sure at all.
Mollywog's flower
Name:  purple[1].JPG
Views: 305
Size:  30.6 KB
Fleabane
Name:  ESPE[1].jpg
Views: 298
Size:  39.4 KB
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Molly's mama

thanks for your investigative skills, 14+!! It's amazing how similar some flowers can be yet there are so many types. I guess they are kind of like dogs that way!
I Googled Purple Aster again, and although the petals are the same, the yellow 'centre' is different (sorry- don't know the proper terminology!)
I will ask my mom- she is some what of an expert when it comes to gardening!
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I love that wild meadow pic. The red plant there looks like devils paintbrush. A plant I haven't seen since my parents sold their cottage. I would keep that as a wildflower meadow and like someone else said, just cut it once it stops flowering. No reason why you can't just mow it or use a weed whacker once the flowers have stopped. It's too pretty to cut now.

Cindy
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I love that wild meadow pic. The red plant there looks like devils paintbrush. A plant I haven't seen since my parents sold their cottage. I would keep that as a wildflower meadow and like someone else said, just cut it once it stops flowering. No reason why you can't just mow it or use a weed whacker once the flowers have stopped. It's too pretty to cut now.

Cindy
DH mowed it down the other night! oh well...

there is one more mystery plant that I know the garden sleuths here can solve!
Name:  mysteryplant.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  42.4 KB
what do you think it is??

And as for the Ladys Mantle- it looks like it is just starting to bloom (we are slow up here!)
Name:  ladysmantle.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  45.2 KB

And lastly- the Purple Astrid is really blooming- such a pretty deep purple colour!
Name:  prettypurple.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  37.7 KB
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a huge Ladys Mantle(did not know what it was,as usual)it's just about to bloom.
The first one,looks a bit like a Bee-Balm,but of course I could be wrong.
I don't know half of what I have..and I've been gardening for years,as long as they are pretty that's ok with me.
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I have a huge Ladys Mantle(did not know what it was,as usual)it's just about to bloom.
The first one,looks a bit like a Bee-Balm,but of course I could be wrong.
I don't know half of what I have..and I've been gardening for years,as long as they are pretty that's ok with me.
I love your attitude! That's pretty much how I work as a gardener too!
I only know it's a Ladys Mantle because of 14+ and other gardeners on Pets!
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That first one looks a bit like a bee balm to me, too, mollywog. I've been trying to get some started in the hummingbird garden but it kept rotting out (too wet and shady in there). So this year, I planted some in the well garden. A few days after I planted it, I was clearing another section of well garden out (it's been terribly neglected ) and came across some wild bee balm (or perhaps purple bergamot):

Name:  100_7147.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  77.8 KB

So after all this time, it turns out I had exactly what I wanted after all! It was just hidden in the weeds.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Garden nut

Hazel please post a pic for me of that when it's blooming. I've never seen a wild one and with that kind of coloring in the leaves.

I'm not sure mollywog if your mystery plant is a bee balm. It seems to have smooth leaves and all my bee balm has slightly fuzzy leaves. It also has a very distinctive perfumy scent when rubbed. Young leaves of the Monarda are supposed to be edible and good in salads or tea. I ate a leaf a couple of months ago and frankly it was like eating perfume, it was that strong. Probably an acquired taste.

Hard to tell until it blooms. But if it's not heavily scented, chances are it's not Mondarda (Bee Balm).

Keep us posted with new pics as your garden develops!
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:35 PM
150% PRO S/N

There is a chance it may be a Rudbeckia. The leaf shape is about the same I think. It should be forming a bud at the top.
Name:  RudbeckiaTriloba040723[1].jpg
Views: 240
Size:  26.8 KB
Bee Balm has a rounder, shorter leaf. But there are many cultivars of them too.
Name:  bee_balm2[1].jpg
Views: 246
Size:  50.2 KB
I guess the only way to find out is to wait till the flower blooms.
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Molly's mama

Thanks Hazel and Ceara, it's fun watching it bloom, and I don't even have many plants! I could only imagine how fun it is for you two and everyone else with big, full gardens!
The Bee Balm type plant is actually kinda furry and sticky, even though you can't tell in the picture. I will have to go out there and give it a good sniff then get back to you!
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Check the stems, too, mollywog. Mondarda has squarish stems...but then the whole mint family has squarish stems.

I'll try to remember to post when it's fully blown, Ceara. I have another from today, but it's not much further along.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Mollywog,I still get excited watching my flowers bud and bloom,check their progress every morning,like a kid in a Toy-Store
I did not know the Bee-Balm attracts Hummers,but I don't have any Hummers:sad:
Hopefully we'll see some Butterflies soon at least,all I've seen so far is a Yellow Swallowtail and a few little yellow/white butterflies:sad:
I'll get really excited when I see my first Monarch,maybe the below normal temps is what keeping Bees and Butterflies away,or maybe it's too early
Hazel,that wild flower,whatever it is,looks beautiful!
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM
-

Exciting eh Mollywog, you remind me of me when we moved into our first house, just moseying around discovering the different plants growing with no idea what they were............I still don't know half of them

Quote:

Oh and "true" Tiger lilies make little black knobbies all along the stem at the base of the leaves. If they don't have these bulbils, it's not a true tiger type and just a plain spotted type of Asiatic lily.

I have oodles of orange Tiger Lillies, those little bulblets take root all over the place, unfortunately I have to pull a lot of them out

Hope this helps! Lilies are really carefree plants for the most part, as long as you don't get the dreaded Red Lily Beetle or a fungus infection called Botrytis (which is easily remedied just by ensuring proper air circulation)

That little buggar is my bane, some years they are really bad, this year at the beginning of the so called summer we are having I squished lots, but for the last few weeks I haven't seen one thank dawg

http://www.beetle.lilies.org/
CearaQC - when are you gonna post pics
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM
150% PRO S/N

Ok so, the mighty gardener has been made to feel foolish! I went out to my gardens this morning and checked my Bee Balm (monarda). Of course it's leaves are nothing like the one I showed in your thread last night. They look pretty close to yours.
Maybe this will help you decide what yours are. Mine are pink. There are also reds.
Attached Images

Old July 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Check the stems, too, mollywog. Mondarda has squarish stems...but then the whole mint family has squarish stems.

I'll try to remember to post when it's fully blown, Ceara. I have another from today, but it's not much further along.
Yay I can't wait Hazel! I'll bug you in a week.

Yes I've noticed that many of the most useful plants have square stems. There's Nettles, Ground Ivy (that purple flower ground cover and lawn "weed" which was once used to flavor beer before hops came along and is high in Vit C), Mint and Monarda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
CearaQC - when are you gonna post pics
When I have more blooms. We had a solid two weeks of rain with almost no sun so everything was held back. All there is to bloom from now until fall is the rest of the Siberian Iris, Lilies, Daylilies, Monarda and Echinacea. The amount of different species of flowers is really small in my garden and there are many gaps of time where there are no blooms. Majority of blooms are in later July and throughout August. Am trying to get some new ones, mostly in blue. Hoping that the new Blue Flax seeds I started this spring take off, and the Nora Barlow Columbine from seed (free from trades). I also purchased a 2 inch pot of dark blue Delphinium in late May but it doesn't look as if it will bloom this year. I need serious help in garden design and plant placement. I want an English style cottage garden with the beds chock full of plants, blooming from spring til fall.

I'd love some of those tiger bulbils! Always wanted to play with the bulbils because I like learning how plants propagate.
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM
-

Quote:
Yay I can't wait Hazel! I'll bug you in a week.

Me too, I'm curious about that one .

Hoping that the new Blue Flax seeds I started this spring take off, and the Nora Barlow Columbine from seed (free from trades)

I have a really dark blue one, I gave one to 14k when I was there a couple of weeks ago, I can send more seed to you if you need more.......I don't know if it is a Nora Barlow though.

I need serious help in garden design and plant placement. I want an English style cottage garden with the beds chock full of plants, blooming from spring til fall.

Me too, trouble is I have a lot of shade

I'd love some of those tiger bulbils! Always wanted to play with the bulbils because I like learning how plants propagate.
How many hundreds do you want ....the bulbils drop on the ground and root themselves...just pm me your addy and I'll send some...also I remember reading last year you wanted Orange Echinea, do you still? I'm waiting for mine to flower now

SORRY TO HI-JACK MOLLYWOG
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
How many hundreds do you want ....the bulbils drop on the ground and root themselves...just pm me your addy and I'll send some...also I remember reading last year you wanted Orange Echinea, do you still? I'm waiting for mine to flower now

SORRY TO HI-JACK MOLLYWOG
Oh yes any orange, yellow or red Echinacea. *drool* I already have two types of the purple (Magnus and plain), and one white. Thought it would look nice in a rainbow array of many colors. I'm not sure their seeds come true to type though. It's worth trying in any case!

The Nora Barlow is a large showy double flowered pink or purple variety of Columbine.

Blue Flax looks like it has ferny foliage with dainty flowers. My sad little plant is only about 4 inches tall right now. Have to keep an eye on hubby so that he doesn't think it's a weed and yanks it. You wouldn't believe what he yanked this year. I planted new seedlings of hot peppers in a bare spot and he comes along and yanks one thinking it was a weed and said it looked like the bind weed. How he got that notion I'll never know!

I tried getting some Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella) going from seed but that never panned out.:sad:

Anyway once all my other stuff starts to take off and I post pics, feel free to pick and choose. I'm more than happy to trade.

I feel so bad for hijacking!

Actually I have an idea, will make a new post in the garden section about trading.
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:10 AM
-

Quote:
Oh yes any orange, yellow or red Echinacea. *drool* I already have two types of the purple (Magnus and plain), and one white. Thought it would look nice in a rainbow array of many colors. I'm not sure their seeds come true to type though. It's worth trying in any case!

I have some of the pink ones that seeded themselves.

The Nora Barlow is a large showy double flowered pink or purple variety of Columbine.

Mine are not double.

I planted new seedlings of hot peppers in a bare spot and he comes along and yanks one thinking it was a weed and said it looked like the bind weed. How he got that notion I'll never know!

Mine is not allowed to touch NOTHING

I tried getting some Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella) going from seed but that never panned out.:sad:

I love those

Actually I have an idea, will make a new post in the garden section about trading.
GOOD IDEA - Once again Mollywog