Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old August 1st, 2009, 12:35 AM

The harebell are my favorite

So many purty flowers Hazel

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:41 AM
-

I seemed to have missed this thread the first time around.

You sure so have some pretty wildflowers down there .....but you know, of course, that the Honor Guard is my absolute favourite.

Is your knapweed the invasive kind?
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:23 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Love your last bunch of pics! It seems like we share quite a few. Love them as long as they stay out of my yards. Beautiful pics as usual.
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

WOW Hazel,all those beautiful wild-flowers Mother Nature is definitely the best gardener of all and you don't need to do anything,just enjoy
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:47 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
WOW Hazel,all those beautiful wild-flowers Mother Nature is definitely the best gardener of all and you don't need to do anything,just enjoy
Agree 100%

Nature also is a superb artist, providing color and beauty in all the right spots.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
The harebell are my favorite

So many purty flowers Hazel
I love the harebell, too. I'm thinking of buying a flat of them to put out in my front yard...I gotta find out if deer like them, though. The local herd will be taste-testing anything I put out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
.....but you know, of course, that the Honor Guard is my absolute favourite.

Is your knapweed the invasive kind?
I'm kinda partial to the 4-footed Honor Guard, too.

Not sure if the knapweed is invasive or not. It's scattered out along the road but doesn't seem exceptionally overwhelming. I never knew what it was before I finally identified it the night I took the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Love your last bunch of pics! It seems like we share quite a few. Love them as long as they stay out of my yards. Beautiful pics as usual.
I don't mind if they're in my yard...in fact, some of them are in my gardens. But then, we aren't very fussy about the lawn, either. There's a whole bunch of it that we don't even mow--and I'm moving wildflowers out there year by year...trying to figure out what will grow...and is deer-resistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
My favorite kind of gardening! Hands-off!

I can't take any credit for all the pretty flowers...they grow much better without hazel's moldy thumb, than with it!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Here ya' go hazel. Knapweed seems to be deer resistant.

http://www.gardenerscorner.org/subject051644.htm

My copy of the _Gardener's Desk Reference_ list the following as being deer
resistant: yarrow, baneberry, monkshood, agave, flossflower, alliums, aloe,
anemone, snapdragon, artemesia, butterfly weed, false indigo, marigold,
knapweed, lily of the valley, datura, chrysanthemum, foxglove, globe thistle,
joe-pie weed, spurge, ferns, blanketflower, heliotrope, lantana, lavender,
snowflake, lupine, mints, bee balm, forget-me-not, daffodil, primrose, poppy,
russian sage, flax, feverfew, yucca, hardy fuschia, zinnia, goutweed,
bugleweed, strawberry tree, barberry, boxwood, Mexican orange, rock rose,
smokebush, hawthorn, Russian olive, beech, inkberry, jasmine, mountain
laurel, Japanese kerria, bayberry, oleander, spruce, pine, rosemary,
germander, and periwinkle.

It also has a list of plants deer like.
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:28 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I don't mind if they're in my yard...in fact, some of them are in my gardens. But then, we aren't very fussy about the lawn, either. There's a whole bunch of it that we don't even mow--and I'm moving wildflowers out there year by year...trying to figure out what will grow...and is deer-resistent.
Guess I should have said I don't mind if some get into my flower beds. Just don't really want them on the parts of the lawn where there is actually grass growing. Hubby has a habit of not mowing for a couple of weeks and it gets pretty decorative when he doesn't. Believe me, there's still lots of weeds to enjoy.
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The only knapweed I've seen growing here is alien. I'm looking for natives.

Butterfly weed, false indigo, Joe-Pye-weed, lupine, bee balm, and primrose! I can get those! Harebell is also supposed to be untasty to deer. I've heard that coneflowers are only occasionally nibbled by deer. Anyone know if that's true? I'm hoping to transfer some seed from the kennel garden coneflowers to the front yard this fall

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:03 PM
150% PRO S/N

I am looking at my encyclopedia right now. It doesn't say coneflower at all in the deer resistant plants. But I have had mine planted for three or four years and the deer have never touched them. In fact they haven't touched any of the plants I have. They love the apple trees though. Maybe that's what you need to plant. They come right onto the side yard and eat the apples off the ground.
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Our deer love to munch mushrooms and eat acorns while watching the dogs carry on on the other side of the fence. You know: the whole "dinner and a movie" thing...

Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM

Your mystery plant here:

Quote:
Attachment 55846
...and these beauties are in full swing.
looks like a variation of Spiraea aka meadowsweet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiraea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Spiraea_japonica.jpg

This is one from my mum's yard:
Attached Images

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
-

This is the invasive knapweed we get in B.C. ......

http://www.invasiveplantcouncilbc.ca...otted-knapweed
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
-

Quote:
My favorite stretch! The bird song here in the early morning will knock your socks off--this time of year it's inhabited by multiple species of thrush :

Attachment 54119
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I][/CENTER]
omg this is what I want , a road like this to get home , but with an enormous gate so no one could get through

it's beautiful Hazel
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, crap! You're right! That's spotted knapweed, so I'll have to give the county a call. They seem to have missed that stretch of road. Spotted knapweed is an invasive variety that they poison to preserve the Karner Blue Butterfly habitat--that and the leafy spurge are the two main invasives that they come out to treat each year. I should have recognized it by the leaves... My bad...

And growler, I think you nailed the mystery plant. I just looked up meadowsweet in my book and it's spot on! Thanks!

Frenchy, I've thought about that gate...and armed guardsmen...many times! Oh, to win a huge lottery and buy a township!