Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 27th, 2009, 09:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
The strawberry-looking plant is Dewberry, in the raspberry/blackberry family Rubus. Some people use them to make homemade wine. Food for lots of forest critters too.

http://www.planthardiness.gc.ca/ph_s...ciesid=1005057
Cool! Wish I could open the link but the phone lines are too crackly. What do dewberries look like when they're ripe? Black with big segments? I've only ever seen berries once or twice--they get eaten pretty quickly. They must be good!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Garden nut

Well, I don't really know to tell you the truth! I spotted some last year but was too afraid to pick any, because I did not know what berries were good or if there were any poisonous ones. And I only learned about the Dewberry a couple of weeks ago and recognized it as one of the berries I saw last year.

I copied these pictures from the links on that website I posted earlier. Hope you will be able to see them OK Hazel. It looks very much like what I saw last year in our woods. Whether it changes to a darker color,

The website says

Quote:
The Dwarf Raspberry (aka Dewberry) may be confused with the Woodland Strawberry and Common Strawberry, but the strawberries lack a trailing, woody stem. The berries are edible but are smaller and less succulent than those of the Wild Red Raspberry.
Attached Images

Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper

Last edited by CearaQC; June 27th, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

One picture downloaded The berries we get looked very similar, only much darker--almost black. And longer--more oblong than round like the red one in the pic.

I know ours are edible because there was a big patch in a park I used to birdwatch at when we lived in the city--I was young and immortal then--I'd eat wild berries all the time there... Now I yell at the dogs when they do the same thing

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Garden nut

LP if you ever want to get a positive ID, feel free to contact the folks over at the Montreal Botanical Gardens. I've emailed them back and forth a few times discussing rare wild plants/conservation in Quebec, and they are really nice and helpful. And I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you positively ID any mystery plant.

Gosh I feel so bad for post hacking.

Hazel I checked a botany website on wild plants for your state, and there are listed probably over 40 types of Rubus family berry plants around where you live. Most all are the three leaf ragged edge types like you photographed and others look more like the Currant/Gooseberry type leaf which kind of reminds me of a maple tree leaf, but more rounded on the edges. This makes it awfully confusing for me to ID certain plants because we have a Highbush Cranberry plant that also has the mapley type leaves that the French call "Pembina" pronounced "pem-in-awe."

http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/Se...sp?Genus=Rubus

So chances are what you have is indeed Blackberry family and comes out more oblong like the cultivated Blackberry and may be crossed by bees, eaten and deposited by animal poo, and grew into a new cultivar! Rubus genus is part of the Rose group and that's probably why the flowers are so attractive.

I don't think any Rubus family are poisonous, but most have that 3 leaf thing going on which can be confused with Poison Ivy/Oak and sometimes the poisonous Hawthorne, as you probably already know. But if you ever get in contact with the poison plants, you should have another plant nearby that will take away the itch and stop the spread. Actually two plants - one is the Stinging Nettle and the other is Jewelweed, which is in the Impatiens family. Both nettles and Jewelweed can be crushed to let the plant juices flow and apply that to the affected area. Don't worry the sting gets rendered inactive after crushing, but the Jewelweed doesn't stink at all, and is a really pretty flower! When I first saw it I thought it looked like a funky wild orange Orchid or something.

Dewberry is more of a ground cover type Rubus and stays low, whereas some of the other Blackberry types are more shrubby and long. Dewberry also doesn't have thorns as far as I know.

The Blackberry/Raspberry type group have the multi-berry, whereas the cranberry, currant, gooseberry are single berries. Raspberries leave behind a "cone" type thing on the plant once the berry is picked and Blackberry usually retains the cone thing when picked. Hope I got that last part right! So much to remember.

The Cherry family is just as confusing.
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:20 AM
Doggie Wench

Some more recent blooms of my non garden .

Frenchy, what you thought was rhubarb is actually one of those burr bushes . I've never seen them bloom, they're soooo pretty .
Attached Images

Old July 31st, 2009, 12:31 AM
Doggie Wench

These tend to overgrow what were once paths through the woods. I don't know what they're called either .

Nor the third flower but, I have several growing deep in the shade of trees to one side of the side. They get no sun but are blooming so pretty nevertheless.
Attached Images

Old July 31st, 2009, 12:33 AM
Doggie Wench

Btw, Ceara, your posts are so informative...thanks for sharing all your knowledge .
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:48 AM
Garden nut

Well shucks.

The orange flower is Jewelweed! Very useful plant for skin irritations.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Pla...Jewelweed.html

White flower with fern-like foliage is Yarrow. Also medicinal and helpful. Can be used as a dye, was used long ago to flavor gruit beer before anyone learned about hops, and dried root I think is used like cornstarch to thicken sauces. Grows wild in many places and produces runners underground. But commercially they also flower in different colors like yellow, pink and red.

The burr plant I think is called Burdock and the entire plant is edible but different parts are best eaten at certain parts of the plant's life, according to what I have read.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Pla...r/Burdock.html

It's got a giant tap root like a carrot and the root can be peeled and chopped, boiled and eaten like root veg. The root is also considered medicinal and the Japanese eat it but in N America it's sold in capsule form like a supplement.

Last edited by CearaQC; July 31st, 2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The jewelweed is also called spotted touch-me-not, because the seed pods pop open explosively when you touch them.

I think the blue one is chicory--are the stems almost bare with very few leaves on them? Sure are pretty flowers.

The purple spire one you should probably try to identify through an ag agent or county extension (if you have such a thing in Canada ) because it looks similar to purple loosestrife, a very invasive garden escapee that is a real problem near wetlands. There are a lot of wildflowers that look similar, though, so don't rip it out till you know for sure.