Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old April 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorsMom View Post
The vinegar actually goes in the dogs water to control the acidity and stop the grass from turning yellow Vinegar on your grass will kill your grass as it is a natural weed killer when sprayed directly your weeds.
Oooohhhhh! I was confused

I thought the vinegar was sprayed onto the grass-- I'm such a

So Gryphon drinks the vinegar? Wouldn't that have some kind of affect on the acid in his stomach?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
You can call me DOG!

I think I would be a little concerned mixing vinegar in with fresh drinking water

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:42 AM

Actually it's gradually supposed to be worked up to a tbsp or 2 depending on the size of the water dish. I don't think that heavily diluted would affect his stomache, but it's suppose to control the acid in the urine it's just what is says in my vinegar book, you could always check with a vet to make sure it's safe. I know ppl that drink vinegar (apple cider tho) to reduce their cholesterol, and blood pressure and apparently it works, they don't have to take meds!
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I have a friend who uses apple cider vinegar for her GERD. Works great but tastes really bad Dogs don't seem to mind it, though. However, since it's so dilute in the water, I'd really not expect it to have much effect on the urine. So if it works, you for sure have to let us know, klm!

Dog urine has high pH, which makes it a base. It also contains nitrogen, which is a plant nutrient. So if you can bring the pH down to 7 (neutral), which is what I'm thinking the vinegar (an acid) is supposed to do, and eliminate other sources of nitrogen to Gryphon's 'pee place' (for instance, if you fertilize the rest of the lawn, don't fertilize that spot), you might be able to coax some sort of ground cover there, especially if you can find a way to keep it well watered without creating mud.

If you find something that works, let me know. In winter, the Packmembers all have their own favorite areas to pee in and it always takes us still about July to get the grass cover back to where it should be.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I have a friend who uses apple cider vinegar for her GERD. Works great but tastes really bad Dogs don't seem to mind it, though. However, since it's so dilute in the water, I'd really not expect it to have much effect on the urine. So if it works, you for sure have to let us know, klm!

Dog urine has high pH, which makes it a base. It also contains nitrogen, which is a plant nutrient. So if you can bring the pH down to 7 (neutral), which is what I'm thinking the vinegar (an acid) is supposed to do, and eliminate other sources of nitrogen to Gryphon's 'pee place' (for instance, if you fertilize the rest of the lawn, don't fertilize that spot), you might be able to coax some sort of ground cover there, especially if you can find a way to keep it well watered without creating mud.

If you find something that works, let me know. In winter, the Packmembers all have their own favorite areas to pee in and it always takes us still about July to get the grass cover back to where it should be.
I myself just having got Major, I am waiting to see if where he goes turns yellow, but he never had yellow snow like my female! I too have had to wait sometime to get my grass back. So I'm going to fertilize Roxys favorite spots and see what happens. But where Major prefers to pee seems to be holding green But will keep all informed.
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:46 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:

Well that kinda makes sense as fars as over amping on the nitrogen Perhaps I'll bring this up with our lawn service people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorsMom View Post
I myself just having got Major, I am waiting to see if where he goes turns yellow, but he never had yellow snow like my female! I too have had to wait sometime to get my grass back. So I'm going to fertilize Roxys favorite spots and see what happens. But where Major prefers to pee seems to be holding green But will keep all informed.
Well I can tell you...Gryphon's pee in snow is very yellow. Even more so then our GRD Bailey's and she was a female :sad:

All in all, I'm gonna go out and grab some soil samples and test the PH/Nitrogen levels to see what I'm dealing with first.

Old April 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
Well that kinda makes sense as fars as over amping on the nitrogen Perhaps I'll bring this up with our lawn service people.

Well I can tell you...Gryphon's pee in snow is very yellow. Even more so then our GRD Bailey's and she was a female :sad:

All in all, I'm gonna go out and grab some soil samples and test the PH/Nitrogen levels to see what I'm dealing with first.
Ok hopefully that's all it is. Good luck!!
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
You can call me DOG!

Plot thickens!!!

Quote:

I just sampled the soil

Gathered it early this afternoon and mixed everything up and made the brew

PH level is at 6.5 which is slightly Acid
Nitrogen went way off the rictor scale We have a surplus + , + of nitrates

So the vinegar would help bring down the acid and raise the PH to a 7.0 which is neutral, but I need to find out what to do with the extensive level of Nitrogen

I guess I need to google. :sad:

Old April 13th, 2009, 11:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Definitely won't need to fertilize for a while, eh? If I could think of a good marketing jingle, I'd collect the Pack's urine, dilute it, and sell it in pint bottles as a good nitrogen fertilizer! Only somehow I get this feeling that Dilute Dog Pee Fertilizer would not be a big seller!

Vinegar would lower the pH, I think...as an acid, it already has a pH of less than 7. So if the soil is already slightly acidic, lime would be a better bet to sweeten it up

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:21 AM

Thumbs up

Well I'm glad you found out it wasn't all Gryhon's fault!

I don't know much about fertilizing and neutralizing lawns, so I'll leave that to the more knowledgable folks!
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Swift Tribe

i think watering will really help reduce the nitrogen. ill ask a friend of mine (if i can hunt him down) what he thinks might also be out of wack if your nitrates are that high.

(being a fish geek, we say WATER CHANGES!! LOL!!)

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well here's the game plan:

I booked Thursday & Friday off of work to work around my yard

I'm going to take my rain barrel out of winter storage and set it up. Fortunately, where I set it up is close to this area. I then will attach my soaker hose to the rain barrel and coil it over this spot AFTER I strap on my aerating shoes and create some plugs
The neighbors see me in these shoes and they always get a chuckle Name:  happy0196.gif
Views: 1555
Size:  753 Bytes

My first priority though is to switch Gryphon's diet. He has had many issues (not only too much Nitrogen) with his dietary intake that it warrants a change in food.

Old April 14th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
Well here's the game plan:

I booked Thursday & Friday off of work to work around my yard

I'm going to take my rain barrel out of winter storage and set it up. Fortunately, where I set it up is close to this area. I then will attach my soaker hose to the rain barrel and coil it over this spot AFTER I strap on my aerating shoes and create some plugs
The neighbors see me in these shoes and they always get a chuckle Attachment 50761

My first priority though is to switch Gryphon's diet. He has had many issues (not only too much Nitrogen) with his dietary intake that it warrants a change in food.
Good Luck!!!!
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:55 PM
You can call me DOG!

Update

Well a month has passed and here's what the patch is looking like so far...

Name:  101_1117.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  101_1119.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  87.2 KB

It seems to have filled in nicely so far since last month. I watered the heck out of the spot and used my aerating sandals on 3 occassions. We also layed down extra seed and next week I'm gonna try a home remedy of beer, coke and ammonia

Old May 10th, 2009, 07:29 AM

That's funny, cuz we have a patch larger then that, and it's been under water so Major hasn't been able to pee there, and now the water had dried up the grass is a dead patch like that I wonder if it could be something else