Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old April 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM
You can call me DOG!

Exclamation Dead Grass from Dog Urine

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum

Gryphon always pees in the exact spot all year round. It's about 10' x 5" in area. He has a wide open range to urinate however, he chooses this particular locale over the rest of the yard.

We have tried to turn soil, rope off, re-plant grass seed and while the later part of summer/early fall looks great, every spring we have to tackle this particular area.

So my question is...does anyone know if there is something that we should be laying down on the grass yet harmless for Gryphon or if it's some kind of chemical inbalance with his urine? I attached a couple of pictures below for your kind review.

Hubby and I are thinking....Oh Great! Here we go again!

Name:  Dead Grass 1.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  Dead Grass 2.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  99.5 KB

Any suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated and well received

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Swift Tribe

you think you can put a sprinkler on the area???

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
you think you can put a sprinkler on the area???

-ash

Well the sad thing is want4rain is, that this picture was just taken this afternoon! We've had plenty of unpleasant wet weather and what has happened in the past is that this particular spot soon becomes a blob of muck :sad:

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM

My lawn is like that too, I have 2 dogs that use the same area. Every year I always go out when we have a good day and rake it to loosen the dead grass and I usually find the green grass coming up underneath and I also sprinkle extra grass seed down mixed with soil.
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Rake it up and start again..I found as Winston got older it his urine wasnt as strong I guess and the spots were alot less. I say over seed the area. You can cover it with burlap so that the grass isnt as harmed as it would be walking on it. Or you could put a walkway in with some slate or rocks? easy to hose down!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:50 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy1 View Post
My lawn is like that too, I have 2 dogs that use the same area. Every year I always go out when we have a good day and rake it to loosen the dead grass and I usually find the green grass coming up underneath and I also sprinkle extra grass seed down mixed with soil.
I raked today however I haven't laid down extra grass seed yet. Wouldn't that (over seeding) make the grass to thick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Rake it up and start again..I found as Winston got older it his urine wasnt as strong I guess and the spots were alot less. I say over seed the area. You can cover it with burlap so that the grass isnt as harmed as it would be walking on it. Or you could put a walkway in with some slate or rocks? easy to hose down!
Humph...never thought about burlap? We almost considered a walkway but this particular spot is on a down slope towards the rest of our backyard. Maybe over seeding and protecting with burlap?

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
I raked today however I haven't laid down extra grass seed yet. Wouldn't that (over seeding) make the grass to thick?
I haven't had any problem with the grass being too thick. If I didn't seed, it would be nothing but dirt or mud in that area.
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The problem is that urine is so basic that it burns out the grass. Sometimes, if you add lime to your grass, it helps neutralize the urine. It looks like Gryphon is really hittin' that spot pretty exclusively, though...so you might have to give up on the grass entirely. Have you ever thought about outlining the area in timber, digging away some of the thatch, lining it with landscaper's cloth (lets the liquid through but won't allow mud up) and filling it with rock? If you one-and-two-inch stone, you don't twist your ankles when you walk on it. And you can hose the area off it gets too stinky.

Only problem is that if Gryphon will only pee on grass, and is put off by the rocks, he'll just pick a new place to pee.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
The problem is that urine is so basic that it burns out the grass. Sometimes, if you add lime to your grass, it helps neutralize the urine. It looks like Gryphon is really hittin' that spot pretty exclusively, though...so you might have to give up on the grass entirely. Have you ever thought about outlining the area in timber, digging away some of the thatch, lining it with landscaper's cloth (lets the liquid through but won't allow mud up) and filling it with rock? If you one-and-two-inch stone, you don't twist your ankles when you walk on it. And you can hose the area off it gets too stinky.

Only problem is that if Gryphon will only pee on grass, and is put off by the rocks, he'll just pick a new place to pee.
Every year, we've tried the lime and never worked

I think I have a visual on the timber lining--not a bad idea Hazel

Gryphon is a plain and simple pee'r. If this spot ended up covered in rocks, he would never know the difference. When we let him out, he leaps from the step onto this area and just gets the job done He's a simple boy

Old April 10th, 2009, 11:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I love a man with a simple and straightforward character!

Just make sure you test him with the size of rock you intend to use, first...in case he turns out to be a rock chewer. We brought in 1-inch, 2-inch, 4-inch and 6-inch samples and put them on a coffee table. The two smallest disappeared almost immediately in the mouths of dogs....the 4-inch one got carried off a few minutes later. So we settled for 6-inch rock as the one least able to be eaten.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Swift Tribe

mulch would prevent splash back. worked well for us anyway.

my only other thought is for you to water it once a day to dilute his pee on the ground though that might breed some grass diseases.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:26 PM
You can call me DOG!

Thanks for all the suggestions forum friends

Hubby wants to keep it grass for now. So after showing him everyone's wonderfull suggestions, we may very well apply a good raking, re-seed, try the burlap covering and give it plenty of water

Hopefully we won't have to resort to re-digging it all up AGAIN

Old April 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Half Way To Crazy

what about raking, then putting in low growing thyme (living grass) I have read that it is very hardy to dog pee, and it smells great if the dogs roll around in it.
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
what about raking, then putting in low growing thyme (living grass) I have read that it is very hardy to dog pee, and it smells great if the dogs roll around in it.
Wow now that's a thought, I'll have to look into thyme. Does it actually look like grass breeze?

Old April 11th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Wow now that's a thought, I'll have to look into thyme. Does it actually look like grass breeze?

it's very compact, great for high traffic areas..

I used it between stepping stones looks great, smells great. does not need cutting as often

does it look like real grass, depends on how good your eyes are I guess it could like a patch of weeds
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
it's very compact, great for high traffic areas..

I used it between stepping stones looks great, smells great. does not need cutting as often

does it look like real grass, depends on how good your eyes are I guess it could like a patch of weeds
I was just googling low growing thyme. I may plant some this around the step (kinda bordering the step). There's a little pee damage around this step but the thyme might be an attractive alternative then dead grass.

Old April 11th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Half Way To Crazy

just make sure that it is the "LOW" growing kind not the regular kind..
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:10 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
just make sure that it is the "LOW" growing kind not the regular kind..
I'll make sure it's low Besides, if hubby saw it was too long--he'd take the weed wacker to it

Old April 11th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
I'll make sure it's low Besides, if hubby saw it was too long--he'd take the weed wacker to it
it still needs cutting but not as often. when you cut it the scent is to die for I usually use scissors near the stepping stones

o and pictures are a must lol
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:23 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
it still needs cutting but not as often. when you cut it the scent is to die for I usually use scissors near the stepping stones

o and pictures are a must lol
Well I have already established the "before" pictures so once this project gets underway, I'll do some aftershots

Although with it being so close to Gryphons pee---I probably won't use it for cooking

Old April 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:

Although with it being so close to Gryphons pee---I probably won't use it for cooking

I think you should plant some in another place if you want to use it for cooking

I don't know if you can use the low one for cooking never looked into that.. hmmmmmmmmmm maybe not if your walking on it either

yup saw the before, now just need the during and after ones..
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
I think you should plant some in another place if you want to use it for cooking

I don't know if you can use the low one for cooking never looked into that.. hmmmmmmmmmm maybe not if your walking on it either

yup saw the before, now just need the during and after ones..
I use to have thyme in my vegetable garden but it never took. I do have Terragon that grows like a weed along with chives, garlic and oregano. Nothing better than home grown tomatoes soaked in olive oil, garlic and oregano then placed on a bed of garlic bread.

Old April 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Only use the burlap to get the seebdlings going...once a fair amount have sprouted I would remove it! lots of water..The thyme sounds like a wonderful idea and I was thinking clover! clover is really tough!

Oh and after pics are a must! I wouldnt try rocks or gravel for winston cause her would just move to another spot on the grass!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Only use the burlap to get the seebdlings going...once a fair amount have sprouted I would remove it! lots of water..The thyme sounds like a wonderful idea and I was thinking clover! clover is really tough!

Oh and after pics are a must! I wouldnt try rocks or gravel for winston cause her would just move to another spot on the grass!
Hi Winston -- So after we seed and cover the area in burlap--do I water right over the burlap everyday?

I think I may have a special spot for the thyme and already told hubby what I was going to do

With Gryphon being so simple....he would just up-root every single rock and find them all new homes scattered all over my yard

Old April 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

yep! just water right over it! and once it get growing fairly decent I would keep seeding and seeding until its nice and think. What I do to make it easy for seeding is getting a pail mixed with my soil and I add my seed to the soil and then spread it out...keeps it from blowing in the wind!

I forgot to mention that I have heard you could by pills that help with the urine burns on the grass. I have also tried those patch kits they sell and they are also a waste of money!

They say if you keeo the grass nice and thick it keeps the weeds out! Careful buying cheap seed cause it will likely be full of weeds. I like a Kentucky Bluegrass but its really hard to find a back that is 100% K Blue..

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:32 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
yep! just water right over it! and once it get growing fairly decent I would keep seeding and seeding until its nice and think. What I do to make it easy for seeding is getting a pail mixed with my soil and I add my seed to the soil and then spread it out...keeps it from blowing in the wind!

I forgot to mention that I have heard you could by pills that help with the urine burns on the grass. I have also tried those patch kits they sell and they are also a waste of money!

They say if you keeo the grass nice and thick it keeps the weeds out! Careful buying cheap seed cause it will likely be full of weeds. I like a Kentucky Bluegrass but its really hard to find a back that is 100% K Blue..

Cindy
We also tried those patch kit things and that was a total waste of time & money

Well I think its gonna be the seeding, re-seeding, seeding etc., I like the idea of adding the seed to the soil then spreading it

Hoping for a nice Easter Sunday tomorrow to get out there and prep it up!

Old April 12th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Just a thought, I have a book for 101 uses for vinegar, and it suggest putting a couple of tbsps of vinegar in the water. However they suggest you start gradually with a tsp 1 wk, then 2tsp, then a tbsp etc... This balances out the acidity in the urine and saves the grass. I also heard that only female urine burns the grass. But this time of year it's hard to tell if it's actuallty dead too. You could try thatching the grass, and it may come back. We had to thatch everyyear when roxy was alive (rest in peace), and generally aside from isolated little spots that were her ALL time favorite, the grass came back. Hope this helps.
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Wink

Just another thought I wrote my last response and then went out the front of the house for a smoke and looked at my own grass it looks very much like yours as it does every year, and no animals pee out there! The reason our grass looks like this pretty much over the entire acre and a half is becuase this town is basically built on sand, so my other thought to you is that maybe just MAYBE the PH balance in your soil is not high enough or too high, and watering with some miracle grow might help!

Last edited by MajorsMom; April 12th, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old April 12th, 2009, 03:39 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorsMom View Post
Just a thought, I have a book for 101 uses for vinegar, and it suggest putting a couple of tbsps of vinegar in the water. However they suggest you start gradually with a tsp 1 wk, then 2tsp, then a tbsp etc... This balances out the acidity in the urine and saves the grass. I also heard that only female urine burns the grass. But this time of year it's hard to tell if it's actuallty dead too. You could try thatching the grass, and it may come back. We had to thatch everyyear when roxy was alive (rest in peace), and generally aside from isolated little spots that were her ALL time favorite, the grass came back. Hope this helps.
WOW vinegar---go figure I wonder if it would be safe to mix the vinegar with miracle grow in the same container while watering - humph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorsMom View Post
Just another thought I wrote my last response and then went out the front of the house for a smoke and looked at my own grass it looks very much like yours as it does every year, and no animals pee out there! The reason our grass looks like this pretty much over the entire acre and a half is becuase this town is basically built on sand, so my other thought to you is that maybe just MAYBE the PH balance in your soil is not high enough or too high, and watering with some miracle grow might help!
I have a soil testing kit that I always use in my rose beds. I think I will sample the soil in this area to see what it comes up with before adding vinegar or more lime

Thanks MajorsMom and everyone else at that for these great ideas--it has really helped with tackling this area and will post after shots if all turns out well.

Old April 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM

The vinegar actually goes in the dogs water to control the acidity and stop the grass from turning yellow Vinegar on your grass will kill your grass as it is a natural weed killer when sprayed directly your weeds.

Last edited by MajorsMom; April 12th, 2009 at 07:35 PM.