Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old November 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

For those who love the David Austins, Brother Cadfael(sorry, slightly nibbled by earwigs on the outer petal), Crocus Rose, and Charles Rennie McIntosh.
Attached Images

Old November 12th, 2010, 11:39 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Don't know what your mystery rose is, but it's very pretty. Maybe it's a new mutation on the regular red rose? So then you'd have a novelty variety to market

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, last year I hoped I had a new mutation, another sport of Mary Rose, when she had this rose below that was part pink, part white, but I haven't seen another like it this year. No, with Loving Memory, before I bought it probably someone has picked up the label to read it and put it back on the wrong pot. Never mind, it's a nice rose. So is the next David Austin, Lichfield Angel. (Hmmm, not really sure that this is Lichfield Angel. I've had misnamed ones before from the company I got this one from.) The third rose is the lovely single, Sally Holmes.
Attached Images

Old November 12th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm running out of roses because it is too wet to take photo's today. Here is Womans Day though. Then Foxgloves growing near the aviary, and another Salvia, this one named Hot Lips. The flowers can be red, white, or red and white.
Attached Images

Old November 13th, 2010, 07:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Very pretty! Love the two-tone rose--too bad it didn't repeat!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

We're into the last few days of Spring now but it's been great weather for some plants. First some Gerberas that actually survived a year for me. Then the DA rose I put at the head of Ben's grave, Glamis Castle. Next rose is New Duet. Have any of you grown it? Very strong thick petals so the buds take forever to open and it lasts well when cut.
Attached Images

Old November 24th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

First photo now is a sweet little rambling rose named Ghislande De Fergilende (sp? can't find the catalogue it's in.) Next is Lili Marlene which is grafted onto a stock with Iceberg, except that the Iceberg part is reluctant to flower. Third one is the very eye catching Shady Lady, which I bought to put at the head of Ch Goldfields Shady Lady's grave. She is now having two though , I often called her bright eyes and there is a rose named that. It is bright red single with a white centre and yellow stamens.
Attached Images

Old November 24th, 2010, 08:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Next rose is New Duet. Have any of you grown it?
hazel doesn't grow roses, she kills them! Sigh...really...I've never successfully grown a rose of any type, except for the wild roses that plant and grow themselves.

Lovely roses, GF!

Old November 24th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the lovely spring flowers..your Roses are beautiful. Love the Gerberas too. One of my favorite flowers. patti
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

A new DA that impressed me greatly is William Morris although at this stage he tends to hang his head a bit. Maybe when he's an older, stronger rose it won't happen. The pink single is named Roseromantic and the only thing I don't like about it is that hot weather tends to make the petals curl under. Final one in this trio is a change of pace, Queen Anne's Lace and Larkspurs(or are they Blue Butterfly delphiniums ) in the jungle that is the garden bed outside our kitchen window. I haven't weeded there for ages because I reckon I'll need a machete to get into it. LOL.
Attached Images

Old November 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

My pleasure, Patti, I love sharing my garden. Gerberas are great, aren't they? One of my latest addictions, and it's not dissimilar, is daisies. I want to build up a collection seeing they are tough and put on a great display.

@ you, Hazel. I used to think that way but listen, try potted roses. Buy a good quality potting mix and you'll be surprised what you get, and anyway, love wild roses!! A friend has some spectacular hybrid teas, all potted.

Now, (doesn't she ever run out of David Austins ), the superb Jude The Obscure. Can you believe, I rarely bend down to smell the roses. I did with JTO and WOWIE!, it's to die for. Where others might lack his perfume, they compensate by just flowering beautifully, like Grace and (put your sunglasses on) John Clare.
Attached Images

Old November 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I might add a shot of one of the beds in the orchard(where all the trees died in the drought) to show how it's just a wire fence away from being a sheep paddock, and was one before I took over and started planting madly. The Spring garden is finishing and all the paddocks have burnt off, it's depressing.
Next is one of those in your face type flowers(like Sprekelia) , the cup and saucer Canterbury Bell. And laast but not least - often seen in my garden, and perhaps the only ones with time to smell the roses, Silk and Gemma, inspecting the deadheaded roses.
Attached Images

Old November 24th, 2010, 09:44 PM
You can call me DOG!

Your DA's are stunning Goldfields. I like the one in the middle just above with the petals still cupped. What is the name of that one? Very pretty.

I just picked up a Kordes, Osiria and a new Freelander, Sweet Antique this past weekend and planted. Won't know the outcome until our spring.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

That would be Grace, klm. I just looked up Osiria and yikes!, it's highly susceptible to powdery mildew. But then so is Papa Meilland and I have a couple of those. If it gets it, my Papa Meillands just get a spray with a milk and water mix. That changes the pH on the leaves and that fixes it. Such roses are possibly best out in the open to get the sun and wind. Osiria is a beauty, it certainly has the Wow factor.
Sweet Antique is lovely. A bit like Bonica in colour and form, do you think, with bigger flowers? This is Bonica below of course.
Attached Images

Old November 24th, 2010, 10:30 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
I just looked up Osiria and yikes!, it's highly susceptible to powdery mildew. But then so is Papa Meilland and I have a couple of those. If it gets it, my Papa Meillands just get a spray with a milk and water mix. That changes the pH on the leaves and that fixes it.

Milk and water eh? Never heard of that. What is the ratio to use? I get powdery mildew on a couple of my climbers so maybe I'll give them a shot if it appears.

Sweet Antique is lovely. A bit like Bonica in colour and form, do you think, with bigger flowers? This is Bonica below of course.
Sweet Antique has a full, large petal count and is a repeat bloomer. 3' to 4' in height with an upright form. It does look quite alot like your Bonica and can't wait to see it perform next summer.

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Of Bonica, my Botanica of Roses says neat spreading plant of modest size, covered in abundant rich green foliage that is attractive even before flowering starts. Once it does start, there is hardly any time when the plant is out of bloom until the Winter frosts. Hey, woohoo, Hazel, they say this is a good one to recommend to people who say they can't grow roses.
klm, I will ask the friend who put us all onto the milk/water spray what the ratio is for you.
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:50 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
klm, I will ask the friend who put us all onto the milk/water spray what the ratio is for you.
Thanks a bunch Goldfields!

Old November 24th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Talk to you later. Have to duck into town now for sheed feed , potting mix etc..
Old November 25th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

GF,what nice pics to look at this blustery cold morning,thank's!
Your Roses are all stunning as is the rest of your garden.
My favorites are the furry ones smelling the dead-headed roses
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

They're the special garden ornaments, Chico2. The bad news is that when I went to town today I ran into my first band of locusts just 2 to 3 mile away from home. I was told by an agronomist that they're a native specie and prefer to eat grass, and heavens knows there is an alarming amount of grass around this year, a terrible fire risk, but get enough of them and they'll eat anything green. Still, the roses, on the whole , have had their first flush, I'd be more upset if they were only just starting to bloom. A lot of my Spring flowers are going to seed but I've quite a number of double hollyhocks about to bloom, and sunflowers coming on that I will hate to lose .
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Well, that the locusts really do prefer grass, then! Sounds like they're coming around just in time to lessen the fire danger.

Our wild roses look very similar to your roseromantic single variety! As far as Bonica goes, I've sorta given up on roses (except the wild natives)... I've had my heart broken too many times.

Think that milk and water trick would work for mildew on phlox, or would that be a different kind of mildew?

Old November 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

btw, I forgot to mention how much I love that shot of Silk and Gemma in the deadheads! Our dogs stop to smell the flowers sometimes, too. They just have to settle for something other than roses.

Old November 25th, 2010, 10:25 PM
You can call me DOG!

Good question on the Phlox Hazel! I get powdery mildew on my phlox too so that would be good to know.

Looking forward to seeing the summer crops popping up soon GF.

Make sure you give your special garden ornaments lots of love and attention.

Old November 26th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Seeing my Gerberas survived a year I bought another one yesterday, a nice cheery orange one.
The roses are the red Lili Marlene, and the cream is French Lace.
The last photo is pink Love in the Mist amongst the white petunias. I have seedlings on the go for an Ebony and Ivory Love in the Mist, which could be interesting.
klm and Hazel, they do say that milk and water spray is very good on crops.
Attached Images

Old November 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
You can call me DOG!

Your Gerberas are beautiful GF not to mention all your gardens.

Great to know about the milk & water on other crops. I'll be sure to use it for the yearly powdery mildew on my phlox plants.

Old November 27th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Some sunshine yellow now, a really cheery colour. Coreopsis. The two roses are Alfred Sisley and Ashram.
Attached Images