Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 1st, 2010, 11:34 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Help with GSD's joint care

As some of you know we have a small cottage on our property which is occupied by a long time tenant. He has two GSDs. Logan, the daddy, has been suffering with joint pain for about two months now. He is 12 years+. I know the leg he is limping on has a huge lump on the joint. The tenant did take him to the vet a while back and he was given a shot which helped the pain for a few weeks.
Our tenant phoned yesterday and asked hubby if he could dig a hole as he plans to have Logan put down at the end of January. He can't afford to take him to the vet again as he lives on disability. We are not in the position to offer to take him either. It is tearing our tenant up thinking about losing Logan.
My question is.. would glucosamine help at all at this point? I have about half a bottle of glucosamine sulfate which I could give him to try if anyone thinks it would be helpful. If so how many pills a day. They are 500 mg. If it helped Logan I would continue to supply him with the pills.
Or am I just being stupid and at this point nothing will help Logan? :sad:

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Really 14+ he likely needs another vet visit but it sounds like that is not really an option. I do know of someone who had a GSD with Bone cancer and that it appeared in a similar way. Having saig that the Glucosomine cant hurt either, I think the MG that should be given are in the neighbourhood of 1000MG. Poor Logan! Maybe it will help who knows?? Cant hurt to try? It can be purchased at Costco a little cheaper than some of the store but it also goes on sale too! Costco has a liquid form..I think I paid 20.00 for it bbut it is a large bottle.

I hate to ask this but if he isnt spending any more money how will Logan be euthanized??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So sad, 14+ :sad:

As Winston says, it couldn't hurt!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:44 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

14+ Lp explained to me that you need glucosamine(hydrachloride) not sulfate,, apparantly they don't absorb the sulfate as thoroughly as the hydrachloride...
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks ladies. I have no idea if the vet told him what was wrong or not. I would imagine he did. I don't think cancer was mentioned. All he has told me is that he can't afford the shots all the time. He hates seeing Logan in pain.
Wintson - he would take him to the vet to have him put down. Don't worry about that. The bottle of pills I have here is from Costco. I would think there is close to 200 left.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:51 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Aslan is right about the kind needed! Do the dogs stay outide in that kennel? Maybe he could bring them in on cold days just to alleviate some of the discomfort? Poor Logan..he is a beauty!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:08 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
14+ Lp explained to me that you need glucosamine(hydrachloride) not sulfate,, apparantly they don't absorb the sulfate as thoroughly as the hydrachloride...
Thanks aslan. I will have to wait for a store to open then tomorrow to get just the glucosamine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Aslan is right about the kind needed! Do the dogs stay outide in that kennel? Maybe he could bring them in on cold days just to alleviate some of the discomfort? Poor Logan..he is a beauty!
He lets them out long enough to do their thing and then normally calls them back into the house on cold days. Pearl is a little bugger. She takes off all the time on him. She is the one always down here stealing the cat food out of the greenhouse.

Old January 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like maybe the doggie could use some pain meds at this point. While the glucosamine certainly wouldn't hurt, it could take many weeks for it to help, and if there is considerable joint damage it may not help enough. Is there any way the guy can ask his vet for a prescription for something like Metacam? It's easy to administer and he won't have to keep going back to the vet constantly (although blood work should be done on occasion to monitor kidney sufficiency, I think right now the dog's quality of life is more important).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:49 PM
150% PRO S/N

Good thought SCM. I will see if I can talk to him and ask if he can do that without taking Logan in. I hope the vet will do that. If he can try that and I can talk him into starting him on the glucosimine then between the two hopefully it may help. He isn't home now so it will have to wait to talk to him.

Old January 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
-

I'm sorry to hear about Logan. :sad:

If he can't get any Metacam for Logan then I would supplement with the glucosamine but get it with chondroitin and MSM added as well. The MSM acts as an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.
Old January 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM
-

Here's some information on MSM ....

http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org...amine/MSM.html

http://home.ivillage.com/pets/dogs/0,,n49f,00.html
Old January 1st, 2010, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

When Akeija had arthitis, we gave her an arthric asprin 2 x a day. They vet reccomended it and it helped her a lot. I feel so sorry for Logan...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else

Last edited by Shaykeija; January 1st, 2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

14+,so sorry to hear about Logan,your tenants GSD's are really beautifulthat something will help with his pain
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, I hope your neighbor can find help for Logan.

I don't know if this will help, but maybe something here can ease his pain and help with his joints. Joint support
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:23 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
When Akeija had arthitis, we gave her an arthric asprin 2 x a day. They vet reccomended it and it helped her a lot. I feel so sorry for Logan...
Thanks Shaykeija. I will let him know when he gets home. I feel sorry for him too but I'm not his owner. I am probably overstepping my boundaries now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
14+,so sorry to hear about Logan,your tenants GSD's are really beautifulthat something will help with his pain
I'm hoping too chico. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
14+, I hope your neighbor can find help for Logan.

I don't know if this will help, but maybe something here can ease his pain and help with his joints. Joint support
Thanks ancient. I'm not even sure if he would be willing to try anything. He may have his mind made up already. Logan is 12+ years old so that would be the time when some GSDs are ready to go. He also really does not have any extra to spend on meds that may not help. I figured I could help out a little by giving him something I already had. I am willing to get him some aspirin and the proper glucosimine but other than that my purse strings are pretty tight feeding and vetting my gang.

Old January 1st, 2010, 08:38 PM

14+ how sad about Logan. I hope your tenant finds the best way for him to deal with this situation. One thing that strikes me about starting Glucosamine is that it takes weeks before it really starts to work. It won't hurt to start him on it, and may help, but it might take longer than the end of January before Logan shows any improvement. :sad:

You are wonderful to try to help your tenant with Logan but I know it is very hard to watch an animal in pain and not try to do something.
Old January 1st, 2010, 09:17 PM
Senior Contributor

try the medicalm, its not that expensive and will really help with the pain-- i swear by it, after dakota was parillzed thats all i used for bad days, he can get from the vets ,no name brand way cheaper, good luck brenda and the pins
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:20 PM
~Cat Servent~

Aw that's so sad. Poor guy. Hopefully something inexpensive will work. I know a lot of GSDs really suffer with joint problems. :sad:

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:39 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

14+ just occurred to me, the vet told us to give qman baby aspirin for his leg when it flairs up,,, and they're orange flavored and chewable...
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:45 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone! I knew I could count on you all. I have made a list of everything and will add the baby aspirin aslan. I told hubby to see if he can catch him tomorrow and give the list to him. We will go from there to see what he needs. I just hope he doesn't get ticked because I "interfered".

Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gang View Post
try the medicalm, its not that expensive and will really help with the pain-- i swear by it, after dakota was parillzed thats all i used for bad days, he can get from the vets ,no name brand way cheaper, good luck brenda and the pins
I don't know how much metacam is in Quebec but when I was using it for Blackie (labX/GS), it cost me about $75 a month for the 100ml bottle here in Ontario. I am not sure how much it costs now, but even if it's the same price it could get pricey for someone on a limited income. It is a fantastic medication though for joint pain, it really helped Blackie when she was 14 years old and I would recommend it too.

Good luck 14+ I hope he won't think you are interfering and realize you are trying to help him with Logan

Last edited by dbg10; January 2nd, 2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: addition