Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 31st, 2009, 01:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Is it safe for us to wash pet dishes with ours?

Hi
Is it safe for us to wash cat and dog dishes with ours?

I wash them in our dishwasher and I was just wondering if doing that would make us sick? I do put bleach in with them too.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 31st, 2009, 01:04 AM

I don't have a dishwasher, I don't use bleach, I feed raw & wash Duffy's dishes with mine, I'm fine

I don't see any reason it would make you sick.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 31st, 2009, 01:20 AM
Live well, laugh often

I run ours through the dishwasher with our regular stuff .
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:25 AM

I put the dog dishes in the dishwasher with my dishes and run together using the sanitize function. And to add to the grossness.... I use Corningware for my dog dishes and sometimes eat out of Cassie's clean bowls. She bolts her food, so I feed her in my flat bottomed soup bowls. So if you ever come to visit and I serve soup.... I love the sanitize function!
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:48 AM
Catlover2

Is it safe? I suppose so as most dishwashing detergent already has bleach included. I think it's a personal preference. I've always washed my pet dishes separately with separate scrubber only used for the pets.
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

What are the pet dishes made of? I've read you should not put some plastic, synthetic types of materials in the dishwasher (or the microwave) and definitely not on the top rack (which is often the only safe place for the dish) because chemicals can leach out of them and onto your other dishes. This applies to any dish, pet or human. I use china fruit nappies for the cats and wash them in the dishwasher. The dog's dish is stainless steel and I do it in the sink after the rest of my own pots and pans are done.
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:59 PM
-

I don't have a dishwasher either and wash my dogs/cats dishes/bowls with ours and don't use bleach and, like Growler, we're fine here too.
Old October 31st, 2009, 01:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hand wash the eight dog bowls plus the four water bowls (all stainless steel) with our dishes, too--and, except for having sprouted a few extra personalities and a third ear, we've noticed no ill effects!

Seriously, though--I do wash all the dishes together, even if the dogs are sick, and we haven't caught anything.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 31st, 2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Why would it be unsafe?

Their dishes aren't going to be any worse than dishes you've chopped up raw meat on or something. And domestic dogs don't have any special pathogens that can be passed to people that people can't already pass to each other as far as I know .
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I just googled "dog pathogens humans" and got several hits. Of course there are several illnesses than can pass to humans from dogs but the likliehood of it happening is low if you and the dog are healthy and you wash your hands and the critters' dishes. Soap is actually pretty scary stuff when you read what it does. We had Work Place Health and Safety Sheets on the soap in the washrooms. Rinsing is important after you wash, dishes or hands.
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I just googled "dog pathogens humans" and got several hits. Of course there are several illnesses than can pass to humans from dogs but the likliehood of it happening is low if you and the dog are healthy and you wash your hands and the critters' dishes. Soap is actually pretty scary stuff when you read what it does. We had Work Place Health and Safety Sheets on the soap in the washrooms. Rinsing is important after you wash, dishes or hands.
How many of those hits are pathogens that aren't already going to be passed to you from your dog just by contact, or can't be passed from human to human already? Or are worse than what you can already get from normal dishes that aren't cleaned sufficiently?

That's my point. You're probably at no greater risk than from your own dirty dishes.
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Most were not likely to be human to human (rabies and the worms, etc.) but I think you and I agree. The risk is low if both dog and human are healthy. If the human is immune compromised, like my friend with kidney disease, you might want to be more careful. The hospital study of therapy dogs was very interesting. It advises "cautious consideration." http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retri...96655305001914

Heck, I once let the dog "wash" my dutch oven, put it up on the countertop and the next time I used it thought, Oh, oh. Well darn it, I wasn't about to throw out beef stew. But I didn't tell the OH. Shsssh.
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't use plastic for our pet dishes. Cats get china dishes like we use except a different colour, dog uses stainless steel dishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
I put the dog dishes in the dishwasher with my dishes and run together using the sanitize function. And to add to the grossness.... I use Corningware for my dog dishes and sometimes eat out of Cassie's clean bowls. She bolts her food, so I feed her in my flat bottomed soup bowls. So if you ever come to visit and I serve soup.... I love the sanitize function!
Interesting, I don't eat soup much anyways... LOL

I have an old dishwasher..what is the sanatize function? Is that when u turn on the heat to dry them?

Quote:
What are the pet dishes made of? I've read you should not put some plastic, synthetic types of materials in the dishwasher (or the microwave) and definitely not on the top rack (which is often the only safe place for the dish) because chemicals can leach out of them and onto your other dishes. This applies to any dish, pet or human. I use china fruit nappies for the cats and wash them in the dishwasher. The dog's dish is stainless steel and I do it in the sink after the rest of my own pots and pans are done.
cats are china, dog's are stainless steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I hand wash the eight dog bowls plus the four water bowls (all stainless steel) with our dishes, too--and, except for having sprouted a few extra personalities and a third ear, we've noticed no ill effects!

Seriously, though--I do wash all the dishes together, even if the dogs are sick, and we haven't caught anything.
Hazel I like that 3rd ear of yours, I find it makes your face very slimming!

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I handwash my cat-dishes,but seeing I let my cats lick my ice-cream,butter off my toast and Rocky loves any coffecake I eat,if I did not get sick from that,I could probably eat off their dishes,not that I want to
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Most were not likely to be human to human (rabies and the worms, etc.) but I think you and I agree. The risk is low if both dog and human are healthy. If the human is immune compromised, like my friend with kidney disease, you might want to be more careful. The hospital study of therapy dogs was very interesting. It advises "cautious consideration." http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retri...96655305001914

Heck, I once let the dog "wash" my dutch oven, put it up on the countertop and the next time I used it thought, Oh, oh. Well darn it, I wasn't about to throw out beef stew. But I didn't tell the OH. Shsssh.
Thanks longblades. I have been diabetic for 47 years and have a bad heart. The last 6 days I have been fighting off that flu/cough cold that has closed down a few of our schools and breathing has been difficult at times. I guess that is what got me to thinking about the pet dishes. I was just curious if there was anything that could be passed from the pet dishes to ours.
After reading that link that u posted about dogs visiting hospitals I think I will keep adding the bleach to the dishwasher.

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I handwash my cat-dishes,but seeing I let my cats lick my ice-cream,butter off my toast and Rocky loves any coffecake I eat,if I did not get sick from that,I could probably eat off their dishes,not that I want to

Thanks Chico...that's good to know.

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am like Growler, my cats eat raw and there is no problem washing their dishes with mine.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks L4H. That's good to know, u don't have a 3rd ear too do ya?

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
I have a "don't ask, don't tell policy", too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
I have an old dishwasher..what is the sanatize function? Is that when u turn on the heat to dry them?

I think any time you dry the dishes thoroughly, it kills off most of the germs. But yes, drying them under heat would likely do the best job... Not that I have a dishwasher, 'cept for hubby, of course, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Hazel I like that 3rd ear of yours, I find it makes your face very slimming!
I think it just distracts people so they don't notice that I've gained weight!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:38 PM
Doggie Wench

Y'all have separate dishes for your pets ??

I use a different sponge but only because it sometimes gets dog hair in it. Dh doesn't like to see that. For some reason he notices it in the sponge but not in his food .
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:49 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Same here....and most of my cooking does end up with a few stray furs in it....no one's died or got sick yet! I do use the dishwasher now, and everything goes in together.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:53 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

****note to self, don't eat at longblades.****, we hand wash them too and the only time i make sure i wash them last is if they have had greentripe in their supper.
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Husky Addict

i handwash titus's bowls, with a antibachterial soap, job done !

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:17 PM

washing pet dishes with ours

I wash my pet dishes with my dishes by hand and rinse then well from the soap and never through anything of it.

I sometime end up with a little cat hair in my food.

Its just part of living with a pet.

Last edited by ascott89; October 31st, 2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:46 PM

The sanitize function just super heats the water or drying cycle to kill all germs. I got this on a dishwasher I've had less than 2 years. It wasn't a function on my original dishwasher. At that time, I washed the dog dishes by hand with paper towels I would toss away.

I can see where a person with an immune system compromise would need to use extra caution.

When I grow my third ear, I'll let you all know.

My dog dishes are either stainless or Corningware. I did use plastic for a while, but noticed that it turned Mac's beard red. I also had the cutest Mickey Mouse/Pluto dishes that I put away when all the lead paint scares happened. Cass eats so darned fast that I need a special bowl for her, but everytime I get ready to buy special dishes for her, I realize I don't have any shelf space for them so I keep using my dishes for her. I have one shelf in the cabinet for dog dishes, vitamins, medications. It is overkill now with only one dog.
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I use a different sponge but only because it sometimes gets dog hair in it. Dh doesn't like to see that. For some reason he notices it in the sponge but not in his food .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascott89 View Post
Its just part of living with a pet.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
Please post pics too.
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I have a "don't ask, don't tell policy", too!

I think it just distracts people so they don't notice that I've gained weight!
Especially when u wear that HUGE gypsy earring you know, the one u can wear as a bracelet too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Y'all have separate dishes for your pets ??

EWWWW I don't like it on my sponge either. LOL

And yes I have different dishes from my cats, as their taste in china is different from mine. willie especially likes the ones with flowers on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
****note to self, don't eat at longblades.****, we hand wash them too and the only time i make sure i wash them last is if they have had greentripe in their supper.
Ok, I think I'm gonna regret asking this,,,but what is greentripe?

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtoreth View Post
i handwash titus's bowls, with a antibachterial soap, job done !
I thought all soap was antibacterial?

Originally Posted by ScottieDog

Rainbow said...

Please post pics too.
Rainbow....

If everyone with a third ear would let us take pics of them, we could make a calander and all money raised could help spay and neuter stray cats!!

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:02 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Ok, I think I'm gonna regret asking this,,,but what is greentripe?
http://www.greentripe.com/

Frozen is best but not always available in small towns like where we live. :sad:

You can get the canned stuff though and Tripett is the best imo ....

http://www.tripett.com/
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:04 AM
-

Don't buy the Merrick brand though .....even though their label says 100% tripe it is NOT 100% green tripe.