Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 4th, 2010, 02:00 AM

Black Liqid Poop???

I have 2 male German Shepherd puppies (6 months old). They are both on a very strict BARF Diet and have been for some time now. They love the food and have thrived on it. My only concern is that they both are pooping what looks like back thick ink. The dogs seem to be ok physically and mentally so I have not gone to my vet yet. Several people have told me that the color is from the dogs ingesting blood from the food, which they do. But shouldn't there be some substance to the stools? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

-Matt in Colorado
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Can you tell us more about what you feed -- how much bone vs. meat, what kind of meat, is there anythign else that you add, etc.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I think a visit to the vet is needed. I know there are several members that feed raw diets, and I've never read anything about their pets pooping like that. If anything, it should be well formed and from what I understand should have very little odor.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
If anything, it should be well formed and from what I understand should have very little odor.
You are right, thats exactly how it should be.

I am thinking maybe the OP is not feeding bone or enough bone.... some people think that raw feeding = raw meat. Lack of bone would lead to odd poo and deficiencies in nutrients.

Black thick ink sounds like poo that has old blood in it... A visit to a vet that understands raw feeding is a good idea.

Old May 4th, 2010, 10:34 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Tarry black stools are often a sign of bleeding in the upper digestive tract. Sometimes dogs can have allergic reactions to proteins--and it can cause inflammation and sloughing in the intestinal tract. So I think a visit to a vet would be a good idea, too, just to rule out certain things that could become serious problems in the future if left unaddressed.

I hope you can get the root of the problem soon, Bo and Spectre! Welcome to the board!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM

Talking

Funny you should ask....I just returned from the Vet for the exact same reason,
turns out my own prognosis was correct. After taking X rays we found that there were bone fragments still in the intestines that are a little too big to pass and they have caused some small punctures in the intestinal track.
The black tarry and runny poop which my own dog has been suffering from for the past few days is caused from the blood bleeding into the intestine.

Now he is on an antibiotic and another medication to stop any infection and help break down the bone still stuck in there.

Take your dogs to the Vet, ASAP!

I will feed only softer bones from now on and not until he is fully recovered.

Good luck!
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad you got your pup checked, black poop is never something to fool around with.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Geek Club CEO

My German Shepherd will get poop as you describe if I overdo it with the organ component of her meal, especially beef heart or liver. It took quite a few nights of black, liquid, stinky poop on the floor in the middle of the night to realize it was too rich for her to eat in large quantities. Since I dialed down the organ component a bit, she's been fine. That said, it can't hurt to have a checkup just in case.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:29 AM

Thank you to everyone who responded! We went to our vet today and she presribed extra fiber (Metamucil) and Panacur just to be extra protective. She gave them both fecal tests and they came back just fine as well. In regards to what I have been feeding them: a mix of raw chicken, pork, beef, fish, and organs, always with the bones included. I never remove the bones and I would say that 90% of what they get has bones in it. I have not been mixing in any other supplements, veggies, or fruits. From all of the literature I have read I have gotten mixed takes on whether or not to add these additional items. Any opinions? Thanks for all of the input!
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:44 AM

We don't mix in any veggies or fruit, although he does get it as a treat once in a while (apple, green/red peppers, pineapple, etc.)

We feed whole chicken/turkey parts (chicken quarters, turkey necks, chicken backs, etc), lamb ribs when they are on sale, fish, eggs and feed and paultry organs such as chicken/beef hearts and chicken gizzards and chicken liver.

Sample meals:

-- chicken leg quarter with the back attached, a few chicken hearts or gizzards (3-4) and a piece of fish (basa or whatever else is a decent price at the time).
-- turkey neck, an egg and a few chuncks beef heart
-- chicken carcass, a bit of chicken liver and piece of fish

We reached this balance after a while, we experimented in the begining untill we got the right 'poop'. Before we fed less organ/fish but his poo would be too crumbly and he strained. Adding more organs and fish to his meals made it better.

A very good author i like is Tom Lonsdale (australian vet) , google him, he has a lot of free info on his website.

Old May 6th, 2010, 03:52 PM

I give veggie's and fruit once in awhile, but certainly not on a regular basis. Whether you do or not is entirely up to you... there is no right or wrong way to do it. I don't add them on a regular basis, because I don't think they are necessary, but my dogs like them. I make up my own carrot, apple, broccoli, and celery mash for them.

As for supplements, I only give specific supplements that my dogs need. For example, I give my oldest gal a glucosamine supplement (Recovery SA). I do give all my dogs fish oil. I used to only give it to my boy as he has severe skin issues, but I've started giving it to all of them.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama