Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 10th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Naughty, naughty kitten!!!

I have a very naughty little kitten whom I love to death. She (Jetta) has developed a nasty habit of scaling the molding on our bedroom door as she feels necessary...usually when she's leaving. She literally jumps four feet and just hangs on the side molding of the door and then when she can't hold on any longer, she slides down...which makes the noise of fingernails on a chalkboard which at 4am is not too pleasant! She is ruining our woodwork and I don't know how to make her stop. I refuse to get her declawed and she is wearing soft claws nail caps (purple ) on her front paws. I tried a squirt gun, which doesn't work because she absolutely loves water and sits in the shower while the water is running. I've tried the "no"s and have even put a scratching post by the door. Does anyone have any suggestions or know why she may be doing this?
Old October 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

CyberKitten

Hi,

Just wondering if you have tried other alternatives if your cat likes water. What about a loud noise? The worst thing I think would be to give the kitty attention because that just shows that the behavour brings attention.

Does s/he have a scratching post? I realize confinement will not work so well where this is the bedroom and you obviously want the kitty here. But is there are section of the bedroom you can section off - one that has a scratching post and other toys for him/her? She should associate pleasant thoughts and attention with the scratching post andnot so pleasant ones (as in loud noises) with your wall.

I hope this helps. Here is a good site on how cats learn:

Learn http://www.perfectpaws.com/train.html

Good Luck!
Old October 10th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Double sided sticky tape often works to make cats leave things alone. They hate having anything sticking to the their paws. Also, unlike spraying or yelling, they do not connect this with YOU, which is good.
Old October 10th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi TC,welcome back I still remember little Lucy and her ordeal.
This is obviously another kitten...I can't give you any real advice,I just wanted to tell you,when we sell our house,most of the door-moldings will have to be replaced Now,when my cats are older,a firm NO stops them,but the damage is already done.The two-sided tape idea sounds good,as long as it does not take the paint off..
Old October 10th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I'm off to walmart right now to buy some double-sided sticky tape ...thanks LR, I will try it tonight. I've never had such a naughty kitten before...I don't think I ever really realized how different their personalities can be! Jetta plays non-stop with my dog, Stella, all day but still runs around like a wild woman at night.

He he he, as I'm typing, my female dog, Stella, is "humping" (for lack of a better word) her stuffed cat. Geesh, why does she do that?
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I've never had such a naughty kitten before..
Ha! I'd like to introduce you to my Stinkerbell, and then you'll know what naughty is! Wanna trade?

Reprimanding a cat or kitten will only teach it not to do whatever deed when you are not looking.

You need to booby trap things, or make whatever the cat is doing is unpleasant. This is the only way they will stop.

Cats really hate anything sticky and they also dislike aluminum foil. As well, you can get a repellent spray that usually works. It smells pleasantly of citrus and cats seem to hate it.