Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old October 25th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Its official, Pit bulls are not good guard dogs

So I come home yesterday, Jingling the keys in the lock I open the door expecting to be jumped on. Not a sound. I call out capone a million times. I am hesitant to take my shoes off as I feel something has to be wrong. I bang the front door to make it sound like knocking. I stand there afraid to explore so as to avoid any unpleasant sites. Capone capone capone. Nothing. So I walk to the kitchen, nothing, up the stairs, I hear a whiney rumble (capones talking voice). Oh God hes hurt I think. In my room on the bed is my dog wagging his tail fiercefully.
He didn't even bother to get up.

I wonder now how efficient if only for his looks would he scare a robber away.

What are your dogs or cats way of greeting you at the door? Or do they just not care like my lazy guy. HOnestly usually hes at the door when I open it, sometimes I catch him coming from down the stairs or around the corner but never has he not shown up at the door.
Old October 25th, 2005, 02:31 PM

That is so funny...what a lazy guy.LOL.

I must say, may pitti loves to sleep too. Most times he is at the door with Daisy (border collie cross), both with tails wagging and clambering to be the first one patted.

Sometimes, though, he will stay cuddled up on his chair instead of coming to the door, but he can see both the driveway and the door from "his chair", so it's not like he doesn't know it is me. When he does this, he just kind of looks over at me and lifts his eye brows.
Old October 25th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Rottie owner and lover

My rottweiler did, and does the exact same thing...So funny for the 2 most scarriest breeds as some people say. But I really think they make a judgement call. They can sense danger, and if they are not threatened, or their master is not threatened, why wake up from a beauty sleep. LOL
Old October 25th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I also own a very aggressive watch dog. Yes when I get home Buddy does not even get up to greet me he rolls over on his back and waits for me to give him belly rubs. I knock on the door no barking nada nothing. But if I am home and someone knocks he barks I guess he figures I am worth protecting I am the supplier of food, pigs ears and lovin oh and walks.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 25th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Arf! Arf!

My malamute licks first, asks questions later.

As soon as the door opens he sticks his head out and jumps on the person smelling their face and licking them if he has to.

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]
Old October 25th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

If Tucker can't see that it's me, he lets out his big tough guy bark, and comes towards the door cautiously... once he knows it's me, it's a jumping, licking, tail wagging, butt wiggling excitement-fest.
Old October 25th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I usually get that too, the jumping and wiggle bums but this time it was just so unlike him.

My first thought was he was locked in a room and from past experience with a mutt (we think a lab/pit cross) that when locked in a room all day accidently would rip up my moms newly installed carpet and rip a first layer through the door. Bloody paws and all. I had the vision when I walked up the stairs.

Thank god hes just lazy!
Old October 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Kitty Consort

That is funny, luvmypit! Maybe he was just feeling a bit out of sorts..

My little guy goes into a frenzy of excitement - he's a dancing dog..
Old October 25th, 2005, 03:31 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Well, it was a cold rainy day yesterday...............I would have stayed in bed all day if I could too!
Old October 25th, 2005, 08:05 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

If I leave my bedroom door open, there's not a chance either of my 2 will get out of my bed to see who's coming in the door. But I agree with Mastifflover, when I'm home, my shepherd/chow acts like she's the last stand between me and whoever's outside (Simon Pointer is a different story :P) Must be the food/walk/treat/loads o lovin thing!
Old October 25th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

My pit bull is the worst watch dog in the world.

Quote:
He didn't even bother to get up.
When I come home, I enter by a side door in the basement. Chloe doesn't even bother to come down and greet me.

She sits at the top of the stairs and peeks to check if I brought someone home with me. If I did, she will charge down the stairs and nearly knock me down to get to the person. I'm a second class citizen in my own home. :sad:
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Any dogs in my family (me and my extended family) would have failed guard dog 101 in grand style. They are all too friendly! The chocolate lab wags his tail at almost anyone. He does not even bark - tho he has been trained not to bark at every noise of course. But he was not a barker even as a puppy.Now my poodle used to bark when someone he did not know came to the door, but one command to stop and he did. He never barked when he greeted us at the door tho.

(One sad note - when my grandfather - who had Hodgkin's lymphoma - came home from hospital - he did not recognize him (He'd been hospitalized for a considerable period and and certainly did not smell like he once did) my poor grandpa was sooo upset! )

Our fox terrier prob would pass a watch dog course quite well. That breed seems to like to to "guard" people - like the baby (my brother) after she got over being jealous and decided the baby needed protection. She parked herself in front of the crib, effectively nominating herself as gatekeeper.

My beagle would never have passed the first question on a guard dog test, lol He always greeted me at the door tho and if I was in bed and my then bf (or visiting friends) let themselves in b/c I was asleep, he would whine to be let out so he could greet them or not miss anything.
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Joey always greets me at the door when I come home before any else does.
If a stranger knocks on the door Joey will bark exactly three times, then go lay on the couch.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

That sounds a lot like our pit-lab mix. She is usually spread out on the bed, belly up, snoring when I come home. When she finally realizes I'm there all you can see is a tail flapping on the bed. Pathetic huh? Here is her baby picture (newer pictures are on the other computer)
Attached Images

Old October 26th, 2005, 01:23 AM

You're sure he can hear right? I ask because my friend's bichon did that and turns out he's totally deaf... He was just really good at hiding it (for 2 years)..
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh he sure can hear from all the way upstairs when I open any plastic packaging. Boom hes right beside you! So hes definatley not deaf. Only when its convinient for him to be.
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Den-Den can hear my car several blocks away, so he's always at the kitchen door (entrance from garage) waiting for me. Hubby says he's there a full minute before my car turns into the driveway. As for watch-dog? When we're home (as in he's got back-up) he'll bark at strangers or greet friends. He's excited when my housekeeper comes in because he knows she'll get a piece of cheese for him out of the refrigerator. But . . . . when she comes in and I'm not home, he heads out the doggie door into the backyard and won't come back in until she leaves. He won't touch the cheese if she takes it out to him.
Old October 26th, 2005, 12:20 PM

i agree even though there are some amazing pit bulls out there that can protect better then the most driven protection dogs in general most of them are not like that at all. But when you find those individuals that are they really have most breeds beat when it comes to being the real thing. Its so sad though because pit bulls can do some amazing things and could been an amazing working dog yet because of all those horrible breeders they distoryed its temperment and made many of those high gameness pit bulls ill tempered animals. I am looking for another dog that i can work in protection sport (shutzund perosnal protection) If i ever found a pit bull with the perfect personality I would of loved to own one. They are smaller then the other protection breeds and usually even hardier with a higher pain threshold. Less shedding as well and god they are so cute lol But they are not legal here anymore so i think my next sport protection dog will be either a german shepherd or a mal.
Old October 26th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

When I come home, sometimes Maggie comes to greet me. She comes yawning and stretching to the door. When you pet her, she's all nice and warm where she's cuddled up to her blanket while she's sleeping. Other times, she doesn't bother getting up, she automatically lies down on her back for a bellyrub.
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not familiar with "sport protection dog". My immediate thought was K9 police competition?
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypit
Oh he sure can hear from all the way upstairs when I open any plastic packaging. Boom hes right beside you! So hes definatley not deaf. Only when its convinient for him to be.
Daisy can hear a shoe lace tie at a thousand paces from a dead sleep. I know this, because no matter where she is in the house, as soon as I start, she's all, "Where ya going? Can I come, can I come? huh, huh?"

I remember one time I got home at around 2 or 3 in the morning, and as I was taking my shoes off, I could hear something. As I listened REALLY HARD, I realized it was Daisy, doing a super quiet "uff! uff!". She was on the bed with Cheryl who was asleep. It was like my big bad pitbull was saying, "Hey! Wake up! I think someone just came in the house! You better go check who it is!" She's a great watch dog if you want to know if someone is breaking in, you just have to go down the stairs first.

Usually around my regular home time, Daisy will lie by the front door, and then when I'm coming up the walk, she'll run to the window to check if it was my truck she hear. Then she's back to the door, and the longer I take to walk, the more she whines, until she finally is bouncing off the door until I come in. Then when I walk in, I get mugged. She'll lean against me until I give her a butt rub with a belly pat, then she tears off down the hall to where Cheryl usually is, either the back living room or the kitchen, look at her as if to say, "HE'S HOME!!" then come running back to me. I find the whole thing quite amusing. And if I don't acknowlege her while I'm going through my coming-home routine (take of jacket, turn off cell phone, put away wallet), she'll sit beside me staring, tail wagging like 90 doing a tiny whine. I usually pet her when she does that because I'm afraid if I don't, she'll explode.
Old October 30th, 2005, 01:33 PM

My 2 cats know when we get home and will run to the door and wait. The older one will wait until we get in the door, look at us and go "plop!" onto her side, waiting for a belly rub.

The younger one we can hear from outside the door. He's so happy we're home he'll start rubbing the door and head butting it so as we're getting our keys out we'll hear a lot of *bump*... *bump bump*. It's a wonder he doesn't get headaches all the time from head butting things (bathtub, walls, ankles, etc...)