Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old February 14th, 2015, 09:00 AM

Vet in China refusing to spay my kitten!

So I'm living in China and bought my first ever kitten. Right now my kitten is four and half months old and she went through her first heat a few days ago! It happened MUCH earlier than I expected.

I've talked to three vets so far (and I actually can't communicate at all with them so usually need to take a 'translator). I've been less than impressed with the vets here in general. The current one I'm seeing is telling me 'the kitten is too small/thin' in body weight to spay. She is at least 4 pounds right now, although she is on the thinner side. I explained she's going through heat but he said I must wait until she's 7 or 8 months old! This seems ridiculous to me since my kitten now has to suffer through heat sessions for the next THREE months.

It would also be quite easy for her to escape from my apartment which worries me. I assume the vets here are not experienced with pediatric spaying and are worried about the anesthetic. The vet kept saying 'spaying her now will be risky!"...I really don't know what to do at the moment. I'm not sure they would have the proper hormonal drugs here either.
So any tips on things I can do to make sooth her when she's going through heat for the next two months? (Wow, sorry for the huge picture. Didn't know it would come out that big. But that is her current weight/body shape.)
Attached Images

Old February 14th, 2015, 09:15 AM

Normally, it's best practice to wait until the cat (or dog for that matter) is out of heat before spaying them. It is a riskier surgery to do while they are in heat.
Old February 14th, 2015, 11:16 AM

yes, I had heard that also. But regardless of whether she's is on heat or not, the vet won't spay her until she's 7 months old. So she will be in heat, maybe continuously now until she's 'large' enough for him to feel safe spaying her.