Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old October 26th, 2010, 12:41 PM

4 month old kitten! 2 vets and no answers!

Basically a few months ago i got a kitten. He had his shots and this past week he had his booster shot on Wednesday, the saturday later he threw(no big deal), but then he stopped eating pretty much, but was still energetic. Sunday comes along and he is eating a tiny bit and still drinking and using the litter. This cat was eating like a horse for 2 straight months, and then bam out of blue, not eating all that much.

So after not eating really all that much on saturday night and throughout sunday, i bring him to the vet. She examines him and can't find anything wrong and he is playing in the office, jumping from the counter to the chair, etc. She gives me an appetite stimulant for him after they gave him a feeding with a syringe in his back. He comes home and eats a little, and then starts pawing at his face(his gums are a bit inflamed due to teething). Anyway he still lethargic compared to what he was, so i bring him to another vet and that was this morning. They ran a general xray, and a full blood test workup. Xray they couldn't see anything, and the bloodtest was completely within the norm. She gave me some painkiller medication with a syringe to dull his dental pain. He comes home and immediately starts to eat, and then like 2 mins later i think he threw up all the food, but i think because maybe he ate fast. Im at a loss right now as to what to do.

She told me the next step is to keep him overnight and inject barium into him and see if there are any blockages. Obviously thats big money as i just spent 400 bucks in the past 2 days in vet bills trying to figure out whats wrong. I hope its just the teething pain, but i think if he had any type of blockage, he would keep throwing up and he isn't. Also his blood tests came back perfect, so no signs of infection or higher enzymes from his organs.

Anyone else have any ideas? Does dental pain really make them depressed and loss of appetite?
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

What do you feed your kitten? Have you tried offering anything else, like maybe some stinky canned Fancy Feast or plain meat baby food (no onions)?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM

Offered him everything. When he does eat, he eats like he used to, but just not for that long. Wouldn't a blood test show elevated levels of enzymes if he had any type of blockage especially after 3 days of symptoms?
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

The xray would show a blockage as it does show feces.

Yes, dental pain can cause a cat to stop eating, but normally they would be drooling too.

What are you feeding your cat? I highly recommend Kitten Wellness, canned, it is an excellent, palatable food that is easy for your kitten to digest.

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/produ...?pet=cat&pid=1.

And since you are a new kitty owner, here is about the best website for nutritional info on your cat. Please take the time to go through it, it is amazing what you will learn .

http://www.catinfo.org/

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:07 PM

See you can't find kitten wellness here (Montreal, Canada). I used to live in Philadelphia and in the US you can get pretty much anything and everything and Petsmart carries all the decent brands. I don't have any chain stores like that here, so when i go back home i bring a decent amount of catfood back. Theres a few places that sell wellness, but just the regular one that i buy for my older cat.

She gave him a general xray and not an abdominal one. She told me the only real way is through the barium dye test, but im hesistant since its big money.

I was feeding him Before Grain wetfood, with some kitten kibble and he ate it like a horse and before that it was holistic by eaglepack he was eating.

The troubling thing is i have read up so much, and i don't want to overly worry because he exhibits symptoms like more lethargic and loss of appetite, but it stops there and internally they couldn't find anything without digging deeper. He does have bad gas though and it only comes out when he uses the litter, thats new and happend as soon as he got his loss of appetite.
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2000z28 View Post
See you can't find kitten wellness here (Montreal, Canada).
You could try the Wellness Store Locator: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/store-locator.aspx and then call around to see if someone will order it in for you. But really, you don't have to feed Wellness Kitten, you could feed most of the Wellness flavours. Chicken in particular has a very similar nutritional profile to the Kitten one.

Quote:
I don't have any chain stores like that here,
Look for independant retailers that specialize in quality food. I'm sure some of our Montreal members can help you out with that.

Quote:
I was feeding him Before Grain wetfood,
BG canned isn't balanced for everyday feeding, that last time I checked. I would only give this once or twice a week to a growing kitten.

Quote:
He does have bad gas though and it only comes out when he uses the litter, thats new and happend as soon as he got his loss of appetite.
Does sound like something's going on with his digestive system. Perhaps adding a pinch of probiotics to his wet food would help.

In the meantime, he's gotta eat! Try the baby food with added warm water for a day and see how he does.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
See you can't find kitten wellness here (Montreal, Canada). I used to live in Philadelphia and in the US you can get pretty much anything and everything and Petsmart carries all the decent brands. I don't have any chain stores like that here, so when i go back home i bring a decent amount of catfood back. Theres a few places that sell wellness, but just the regular one that i buy for my older cat.
As SCM stated, any Wellness, grainfree will do, I have found the that Kitten brand seemed to be preferred by the more finicky kitties.

She gave him a general xray and not an abdominal one. She told me the only real way is through the barium dye test, but im hesistant since its big money.

I was feeding him Before Grain wetfood, with some kitten kibble and he ate it like a horse and before that it was holistic by eaglepack he was eating.
BG is NOT nutritionally complete for a cat and cat's have a very exact nutritional requirements

The troubling thing is i have read up so much, and i don't want to overly worry because he exhibits symptoms like more lethargic and loss of appetite, but it stops there and internally they couldn't find anything without digging deeper. He does have bad gas though and it only comes out when he uses the litter, thats new and happend as soon as he got his loss of appetite.
A kitten should not stop eating, if they do, then you have to take it serious. Is he pooping? Peeing?. The bad gas sounds like a food issue. Jasper gets that if he eats ANY grains, or if he eats more than a few treats of kibble. He actually does best on a raw diet.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Yeah he will use the litterbox and pee. Its hard to tell if he is pooping since both cats use the same box. I don't think its a food issue for the simple fact he was eating wetfood for quite awhile before this happend all the sudden. Hes curled up sleeping in the cat carrier and has been like that after he came home from the vet. Is this a wait and see approach until more symptoms show themselves or can i clear up by itself?
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Yeah he will use the litterbox and pee. Its hard to tell if he is pooping since both cats use the same box. I don't think its a food issue for the simple fact he was eating wetfood for quite awhile before this happend all the sudden. Hes curled up sleeping in the cat carrier and has been like that after he came home from the vet. Is this a wait and see approach until more symptoms show themselves or can i clear up by itself?
Sorry, I didn't realize that you had another cat. Can you separate them for a while. I think the "output" may tell you something such as some mucous, blood, runny or rock hard or pencil thin. I stand corrected BG is NOW nutritionally complete for cats. I must have been looking at an old can last week when I was looking for new cat foods. Can you check yours to make sure?

Bloodwork would normally tell the vet whether there is an infection that the cat is fighting and how the organs are functioning, won't tell the vet WHAT virus or bacteria, just that the immune system is fighting something.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

He got his booster shot on Wed? Sometimes it takes a while for the results of a needle to get out of their system. He is possibly having a bad reaction to the shot.
Maybe this will help......
http://www.ehow.com/list_6788726_kit...e-effects.html

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I stand corrected BG is NOW nutritionally complete for cats.
Yay!! Glad to hear that. I haven't bought any in a while, but maybe now I'll pick up a few cans here and there.

Old October 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Basically, im thinking its a tiny partial blockage that won't show up on an xray or even a barium study. Im almost at the point to say exploratory surgery on the small intestine to visual see it. He has lost around 1lb, and 1/4 pound from yesterday. He was probably closer to around 5lbs before this and gaining at a healthy pace. Now he is 3.75 pounds. Either way if it doesn't eat even though i took care of the dental pain, i know it must be a tiny blockage.

Remember the blood tests show he isn't fighting anything and everything is completly inline with a healthy kitten.
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:45 PM

Also, thanks for the quick replies guys/girls. Its appreciated very much, as i like to hear as many opinions as i can.
Old October 26th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Basically, im thinking its a tiny partial blockage that won't show up on an xray or even a barium study. Im almost at the point to say exploratory surgery on the small intestine to visual see it. He has lost around 1lb, and 1/4 pound from yesterday. He was probably closer to around 5lbs before this and gaining at a healthy pace. Now he is 3.75 pounds. Either way if it doesn't eat even though i took care of the dental pain, i know it must be a tiny blockage.

Remember the blood tests show he isn't fighting anything and everything is completly inline with a healthy kitten.
If he is not eating, then he will need fluids daily otherwise he will become dehydrated. Kittens go downhill very quickly. You can also try force feeding your kitten. I find Wellness, grain free is the best for watering down. You can get large syringes from your vet or at your pharmacy.

Did you look at the x-rays with your vet? I have looked at mine when there were issues and were always able to see feces. A partial blockage will produce pencil thin stools a full blockage of course will not produce any stools.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM

He is drinking a whole bunch of water so he isn't dehydrated. We are seperating the cats tonight to see whether it is his dental pain and we will know if he poops and eats by tommorow afternoon. He will have a bowl of food, his painkiller shot and his own litter. The vet said if the food is still there by tommorow afternoon, its not the dental pain. Basically a barium study is gonna run at least 300 to see where/if theres a block, but exploratory surgery is 400. Im leaning straight towards the surgery for the simple fact that you will see a blockage hopefully and correct it at the same time.

I didn't see the xrays, i just have a copy of his bloodwork, but the vet said she didn't see anything wrong from xray, however it wasn't the more expensive abdominal xray so im not sure the difference except maybe the abdominal is more magnified?
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Kitties can certainly get into things (string especially) that can cause blockages. I am glad you are separating your kitties, I think it will give you some idea of what is going on.

14+kitties mentioned the vaccine. It is quite possible your kitty may have a reaction to the needle. It take Sweet Pea and Snowball , a couple of days to get over a vaccine.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 27th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Well, last night i came home and the little one ate about maybe a 1/4 can, and we locked him up overnight, and he didn't eat anything else all night, but he drinks a decent amount of water. He has been playing around with the lysine treats i try to give them, but he just paws them and chases them around the apartment. Im going to see how this day goes, before i take him back.

He still isn't really playing with the big cat at all and they used to play all the time, but im just looking for tiny improvements. Also he does have loose stools, kinda like balls of poops, but since its clumping, it could be liquid,soft crap combined together.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:13 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

So maybe the teething is particularily hard on him. As for the pooping - nothing going in, nothing coming out. If he isn't eating enough for him to process through his system then there would not be much coming out the other end.
Have you tried different foods with him? Maybe he is tired of what you are feeding him. Petsmart isn't the greatest store for a good variety of foods. At least not in this area they aren't. I find much more success at Pet Valu or Global. Global with order foods in for you. Pet Valu probably won't but they have a good variety of foods. Try to stay with the grain free, by product free foods if you can. As sugarcatmom stated earlier in the thread you don't have to feed him kitten food. Any good quality food will work at this age.
I found some of my kitties at 4/5 months got a little pickier with their foods too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:54 AM

At this point. We know its not the food. He has been noticeably more active after we gave him the painkiller and has nibbled on and off at his food, but i haven't seen him use the litter in awhile.
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What are the painkillers you are giving him?

Is his stool soft or hard balls clumped together, I am just a bit confused.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 27th, 2010, 11:34 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
What are the painkillers you are giving him?

Is his stool soft or hard balls clumped together, I am just a bit confused.
Me too L4. The painkillers themselves could be making him a little constipated.

Here's a list of Global Pet Food stores in Quebec. Maybe one is close enough for you to check out. If they don't carry Wellness kitten they do Wellness and other great foods.
http://www.globalpetfoods.ca/cgi-bin...ay/display.cgi

Old October 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM
150% PRO S/N

Also, what house plants do you have? Is it possible he munched on one or two or them? A ton of plants are toxic to cats and dogs. Some even just a bite or two on the leaves introduces enough toxins into the system to throw it out of whack.

Old October 27th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Hey guys, i don't have any houseplants. I already buy wellness at a speciality store here, but the variety sucks and they don't carry nearly the full Wellness line of food. I believe its Buprenorphine and we squirt it under his tongue or try.

The wife came home with some whiskies kitten milk and he laped it up a couple times and then walked away and also some kitten food in a pouch for teething kittens and he had about 3 bites of that and walked off. He gets his second dose of the painkiller in about a half hour.

When he does eat, he chews weird and off to the side of his mouth like he won't chew straight with all of his teeth, and sometimes the food falls back out and he has to pick it back up.

Oh and about his poop, im not sure since my wife told me, it was more balled up crap than normal logs, so maybe some liquid poop since it clumped up?
The real problem for me is that he is getting skinny. He was probably closer to 4.5 maybe 5 lbs and now he is 3.75 pounds. How much weight is to much to lose before i have to take him back? I rather keep him at home if i can and not stress him out anymore.
Old October 27th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Doggie Wench

Hi Mike . During the veterinary check-up, did the vet take a good look in your kitties mouth? Does the vet feel your kitten is underweight? Have you used the same scale to weigh your kitten? The vet's scale or a regular scale at home? By any chance, did your kitten get dewormed before you noticed this weight loss?

Quote:
Theres a few places that sell wellness, but just the regular one that i buy for my older cat.
Have you asked the store owners to order in the Kitten Wellness? Most are more than happy to do so if they already carry the Wellness brand.
Old October 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Yeah she checked his mouth. He has some inflammation of the gums. I took him to the vet on Monday of this week, he was 4lbs, took him the next day, he was 3.75lbs, but two different vets and two different scales. She didn't say he was underweight and im pretty sure he doesn't have worms, but i think we gave him pills for that awhile back just in case. I don't think he has worms since he was normal since we had him. It has been only since saturday his behavior changed. Im hoping its a virus or his teeth and not a blockage.
Old October 27th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey Mike...I think I would be a bit worried about the weight loss honestly. That weight is pretty tiny. How old is your kitten? My cat has been really tiny all her life at 6lbs so I cant imagine having one that small.

Mine was pretty fussy with the food for a very long time but what I suggest is try finding a can of food that is more of a liquid type. Mine took a very long time to adapt to the pate type food. She does eat it now but in the beginning all I could get her to eat or try was the liquidy type or gravy type food. I think the one I was giving her was Merricks ?? Chicken Pot Pie. It had a lot of juice and it was sort of shredded meat and some veggies.

It does almost sound like something with her mouth? have you had a good look inside?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Well 4lbs for a 4 month kitten isn't to low apparently from what im reading. Its definitely not a food thing as we have fed him everything from dry/wet/kitten milk/liquid type pooch food. He just nibbles and leaves, then might come back and nibble again in a few hrs and repeat! It just seems like he is eating and drinking enough to stay alive, but not to grow if you know what i mean.

Heres the funny thing. He was sneezing all the time since we took him in, and the vet said its normal for kittens to sneeze since their immune systems are learning and growing and adapting. The moment he changed on saturday and stopped eating and stuff, he hasn't sneezed at all.

I have looked at his mouth, but i just see some reddish gums as im not a Vet, but 2 Vets just told me he had some inflammed gums.
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Doggie Wench

You might want to bring in a stool sample to test for intestinal parasites. Most are not visible to the eye. Kittens and puppies usually need repeat treatments to cover all life stages of parasites. You don't have to bring your kitten in for this if it's at the same clinic you've already been to.

It's also not unusual for different scales to be off by even 1lb or more. Just a thought in case you want to re-weigh your kitty.
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Good point LP! he doesnt need to bring kitty in for that...

Have you done a urinalysis and bloodwork? sorry I dont remember if you mentioned that. I would think if there was a blockage say crystals that it would be indicated in the blood or urine workup? I have had mine checked for that before??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 27th, 2010, 09:32 PM

He doesn't feel underweight, but i can tell there is less plump to him than a few weeks ago. I don't think they did a urine analysis, but they did xray and full blood workup. Both came back totally normal including his crea and urea. Basically the blood test indicated he isn't fighting anything since his white blood cells were normal and not elevated and his internal organs seem to be working fine.

He is being more active since Monday when he was pretty lethargic. I don't where he is getting the energy, but i guess his nibbling habit are keeping him sustained. He is definitely drinking plenty of water to keep hydrated, but he still has nasty room clearing gas when he urinates and he got this gas as soon as he got his current ailment. He only passes the gas when he goes pee or poop though.