Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 20th, 2004, 11:54 PM

Question Why a PBT?

I see ALOT of PBT owners on this site...maybe b/c of all the crap that's going on in Ontario..By the way, best of luck to all you Ontarionions, hope the bill doesn't pass :sad:

But, excuse my ignorance, why did you guys get a PBT? Any reason in particular, or did you just come across one you fell for? I ask because so many responsible owner (judging by what I've read) have PBT, so I just wanted to know if there's something special about these guys that the rest of the world's missing out on?

Thanks,

Joelle
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

There a few people here that are owners. Many people are just loving pet owners that care about animals... it's nice nice to see that many people are willing to learn about the breed rather than believing everything that they read, and I for one am more that willing the share that information to educate more people.

We have a pit bull because my hubby grew up with them. I was never afraid, but never trusting of them. I investigated, read articles, visited websites and then when I was sure that it was something that I was willing to be involved in, and that we had enough time to dedicate to a dog (that goes with ANY breed) we looked for a year before we found Briggs. She was 8 weeks and sitting at a shleter with her littermates. It was fate.... those dogs went sooo fast... all her brothers and sisters found homes that day...

She's the best thing that has ever happened to us, and it's very difficult for people to understand the loyalty these dogs have to their "owners". These dogs, similar to others will do just about ANYTHING to please their "owner" because they are so heck bent on making you happy.
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:27 AM

yup..i grew up with them as well. the family pet and my best friend for most my childhood was a staffordshire bull terrier.
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I had never even remotely considered getting a pit bull until I got a computer a couple years ago. I wanted to do something to help animals - get involved with rescue, foster dogs/cats etc.

I started reading about the abuse and exploitation of this breed and even though I was fearful of them, contacted a rescue for info and to offer to foster.

When my first foster was brought to me, and I saw that sweet face, had my legs whipped by the wigglebutt tail, and got a tongue lashing I was hooked!

Even though this dog had only known starvation and neglect, she was still wagging her tail so hard she had difficulty walking. She was a 50lb lap dog - the most affectionate I had even known and I thought "This is what people are so scared of?"

When she went to her new home, I knew I needed another pit bull.
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't own one but love them they are real very sweet and all they want is to be loved give love and belly rubs. Funny that doen't sound like something you would want to ban.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:14 AM
banned user

Don't have a PB, but 3 friends have Rescue PB's.

They are very good family dogs, in spite of 2 of them being abused by former owners.

I have a bunch of reasons for getting into this situation. (anti-BSL) first, there are those 3 dogs, next there are the part-bred Staffys at my local shelter who are all nice dogs, not dog or human aggressive, & should not die because some idiot has a bee in his bonnet, flavour of the week idea. Third, there is the idea that OSPCA should pick up after Bryant. Why? They are Not funded on any Gov. level, why is it up to them to fund, & impliment somebody elses 'Plan'? People & companies who donate to their local SPCA shelter are now double taxed. We will pay for BSL directly in taxes, & we will see the donations we give shrink trying to do Bryant's work for him!

And last but not least: It's a StOO-pid idea! It hasn't worked anywhere else. It leads to an endless list of banned breeds, to no effect on over-all bite stats. The nitwit dog owners will continue to be nitwits. They will continue to not train, not spay or neuter, continue to allow their dogs to run at large, & continue to plonk babies, pre-schoolers & young children in the same area with family pets, & Walk Away..for as long as it takes for a bite to happen. Or they will continue to ignore signs that their dog is not in good health (thyroid problems, epilepsy, seizure activity, Lyme & related diseases) which can cause 'unprovoked' attacks.

My Bryant can pass laws against specific dogs, but he can't pass laws against unspecific human stupidity.
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Red face

My reason was we were looking for a dog. We found in the paper (I know its not a good idea to do that) but anyways we did, and my Boyfriend drove up just to take a look at them as they were a good hour drive away. HE ended up showing up to my work with this little bundle. Oh god my heart melted. Despite having throw up in my boyfriends lap because of the drive back he was so precious. We bought a couple books on this breed before hand beccause i knew he was going up there and I knew if like me he saw little puppies he wouldn't leave one there. Anyways his first picture was taken , the flash caused him to pee. Its my favourite picture now! Hes become such a part of the family that I couldnt imagine life without him. He is sweet, overly affectionate, loves people and follows us around likes hes attached at the knee. Hes goofy, silly and has a strong personality. I am glad that I got him and no matter what publicity there is Im still proud. I trust him, although I am always careful as with any dog. I trust him with my boyfriends 8 year in which he allows her to poke and prod at him which has made him a better dog. Hes very tolerable withchildren as this breed is known for.
I cross my fingers and Im hoping that if we all speak out, pit bull owner or just concerned citizen we can throw this ban out!!!!!!
Old October 21st, 2004, 05:19 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

I chose a Pit Bull because an ex-boyfriend of mine had one. When I first saw his dog I thought he was so ugly! His face was white and his body was white with brindle. As I got to know Jesse(dog), he totaly grew on me. He had a face only a mother could love. I met Jesse when he was about six months old. I told his owner(my ex) that I would help him train the dog as it was important for the dog to be trained properly(this is how we hooked up).

I was laid off from work quite a bit so I had plenty of time to spend with Jesse. His owner was always "out" so I took care of Jesse all of the time. He was the most affectionate and loving dog I had ever met. He was my buddy. My ex and I had split and I had to leave Jesse. I snuck back a few times to see him and was hoping one day he could be with me(dognapped!!). Most people knew I only stayed in the relationship for the dog. I was very concerned about him when I left. My ex opened the door one day and Jesse ran out and he hasn't been seen since. He was with a German Shepherd and the Shepherd came back but Jesse never did. We don't know what happened to him. To this day I still miss him and it's been over 4 years.

The loving personality of a Pit Bull is the reason why I got mine. I am ashamed that I did buy him from an ad I saw in the paper. I drove to London to see the pups and the mom. Copper was the first pup I held and the one I left with. He's my pride and joy and the best thing to happen in my life. I love him as much as a mother would love her child.
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hes goofy, silly and has a strong personality
I forgot that part! Yes, they are total clowns.

I got my Chloe at a very difficult and sad time and I can honestly say not a day goes by that she doesn't make me laugh out loud at her silliness!

Small example: Today I heard her YELP and ran out to find her under the kitchen table, and my Evil Stinkerbelle cat sitting there with a "Wasn't me!" look on her face. I wonder if the media would be interested that headline "Evil Kitty Drives Vicious Pit Bull Under Table!!"

Copper's mom - I'm so sorry about Jesse. I just love those "lightbulb" heads.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:35 PM

Thumbs up Thanks everyone!

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully some adopters will stumble across the thread and pick a bull instead!!!

Gotta love the wigglebutts!!!

Joelle
Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:20 PM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire

I wanted a pit bull, but when we went to the THS to pick one up that we had seen on the website, we were immediately rejected because we had cats. The adoption guy said that any pitbull would most likely attack and kill our cats. Interesting.

So instead he adopted out 2 chihuahua's to us, who were extremely aggressive and attacked our cats. We gave them away a while ago to a family who afterwards got a kitten, and one of the chihuahua's attacked and killed the kitten.

I find it interesting that THS seems to like adding fuel to the fire yet they don't support the BSL. And that they are adopting out such aggressive dogs as the two we had, and the poor pits are still sitting in there, waiting to die.

Sad.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I find it interesting that THS seems to like adding fuel to the fire yet they don't support the BSL
It seems aggression is o.k. in any other breed. A local rescue was trying to adopt out two dogs, who the rescue themselves called "Very aggressive" towards CHILDREN and other dogs. When they were unable to adopt them out, they sent them to the Kingston Humane society to find homes. I don't know if they informed Kingston about the aggression of these dogs.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:11 PM

I got my Magnum PI from an ad in the paper that advertised free terrier pups.
The guy who had him delivered him to me, and quickly left. I didn't know that he was a pit bull at first. He was smelly, underfed and whiny. He became the most amazing best friend any could ask for. Despite having horrible eczema and other skin problems, any of which would make a human insane, he was the most genlte, loving dog I have had, and I still miss him even though he's been gone for 10 years.

Also, about pitties and cats,Magnum loved "his" cats. He had one special kitten that we took in when he was about 5, and he spent most of his time trying to care for it. He even let her eat out of his dish with him. It's about teaching your pet to be gentle and loving, by showing them gentleness and love.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

It's definitely not at the THS, believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue

It seems aggression is o.k. in any other breed.
Kingston Humane is also a brutal place, they won't take in Pitbulls anymore, totally ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
A local rescue was trying to adopt out two dogs, who the rescue themselves called "Very aggressive" towards CHILDREN and other dogs. When they were unable to adopt them out, they sent them to the Kingston Humane society to find homes. I don't know if they informed Kingston about the aggression of these dogs.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Kingston Humane is also a brutal place, they won't take in Pitbulls anymore, totally ridiculous.
I had a contact there - nice guy, until I heard about the pit bull thing. Seems that new policy is based on ONE aggressive dog that came in.

When I emailed to ask this person how he felt about adopting out those two child-aggressive mixed breeds, and if he would now refuse all Labs (or collies or GSDs, etc) if ONE was aggressive, he never answered.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

And the dog was not actually aggressive - he peed on someone's foot and look at someone in a funny way. The shelter who sent him up there pleaded to get him back and he refused and euthanized him. Nice work Jason.
Old October 26th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Nice work Jason.
Yeah, it was Jason who I was in contact with. The dog "looked at him funny"?

He must be taking online lessons from Sue Sternberg.
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:22 AM

I would love all those posts about what loving pets you guys have to go to Bryant et al. Any way of gathering them together and sending them off?
Also, I was a dogwalker at our local shelter for many years. Several dogs that came in were pit bulls or mixes - and they were some of my favourites.
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

One of the moderators or Marko (admin) might be able to help you with that... there is a copyright law on this board, but other then that, your guss is as good as mine...but that's a FANTASTIC idea!
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:40 PM

why a pit-bull?

WHY NOT? I saved my First Pit from a guy who had her living in a house with mice, rats, cochroaches, and God only knows what else. I took her in, she weighed 27lbs @ 10 Months, and she was pregnant. I'd planned to look for a home for all of them once the pups were born. Whinnie and I bonded so much in only a week, that I knew I could never send her away. I saw in her eyes how much she needed me, and how happy she was with me. I don't have much money, and I work a lot, which is why I wanted to find them a home. But, really when you think about it, is sending them off to someone else really the answer? My husband and I decided to keep her, and one of her pups so, she wouldn't be lonely, since she suffered from severe seperation anxiety. With time she got better and more comfortable, and I grow more attached everyday. Its not a matter of what they are capable of, its what they give you each and everyday. I give them love, space, time & money I can spare, they give me everything they have.
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Exactly why not just like any breed they are what you make them. I say the samething about purse dogs Why? Now in general they are much more aggressive and nasty but they dont do the damage (when they bite and I know they do I have been bit) that pits and larger dogs do. Because if those bites were recorded they would be the ones under the gun now not the wigglebutts.
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:09 PM

wiggle-butts

I just wanted to say how much I love the term "WIGGLE_BUTTS" because thats what they are, most dogs wag their tails. Pit-bulls have so much love and affection in them, that litterally thier whole ass end wiggles when they're excited. Its making me want to leave wrok to go home to my girls!!
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't even own one and laugh whenever I see one of these maneaters wiggling there whole body around cuz they are just so darn happy
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

I met my neighbour's dogs and I said," what kind of dogs are those?" and she said pit bulls. I could not believe that the cutest and most sweet dogs I had ever seen were pit bulls!So I did lots of research on APBTs and was convinced I would get one for myself.Then we were robbed 3 months later and then I was determined to get a Pit Bull because we were robbed while we were sleeping and didn't know it until we woke up which scared me.( Our truck was stolen and all our belongings in the garage also stolen and my husband left a set of house keys in the truck :sad: .)So I got a pit bull because they are the cutest and the sweetest and I wanted one to be my protector, but now all I want to do is PROTECT MY PIT BULL! :love: :love:
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
I don't even own one and laugh whenever I see one of these maneaters wiggling there whole body around cuz they are just so darn happy
Our vet told us they've never seen a dog as happy as Daisy (warms our heart, the little dumb-ass ) I have to laugh, because sometimes one of us will be doing something, and when we turn around, we realise Daisy is just standing there staring at us, her tail slowly going back and forth in contentment.

That's why we love pitbulls. :love:
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's guys/girls for all those wonderful stories about your"Wiggle-butts".
I have met 3 pit-bulls personally and they were as good as can be..
Today I spoke to a young man across the street from us,because I know he's had trouble over his pittie...I just wanted to let him know I am not one of the people complaining. He has a beautiful brown Doberman and a Blue Pit-Bull with white paws.He had noticed that I always look at them,but I do because those two dogs are poetry in motion,so beautiful.
They walk side by side on a split leash,never pull or strain the leash.
When I spoke to him,the two dogs were sitting quietly just watching,but when I petted them they were all wiggly and happy.
The young man was happy to hear I just admired the way he interacts with his dogs.
He used to let the dogs out loose in the morning to do their stuff,but a visit from HS put a stop to that,which is good.
The young man is actually a dog-trainer,even goes to peoples houses.
He had another little blond female pit-bull and he gave it to his grandmother of all people and she is a great companion for the older woman.
Sorry for rambling,I just really love those two dogs :love:
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

My girlie is a true "wigglebutt" whose tail is dangerous! After having his shins bruised by that whipping tail, my brother said "You have to do something about that!"

My neighbours always invite Chloe to their house (I think they invite me just to see HER) and they are amazed at what a happy dog she is. They asked if her tail ever stops wagging and I told them only when she sleeps!

"Toys to tug, balls to chase, bones to chew - life is GOOD!!"
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Chloe is so cute and is she smiling
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:21 PM

The dog I had growing up was a pitbull mix named Hawkeye. His tail was deadly...broke the wood moulding on the kitchen cabinets more than once! He was the nicest dog I have ever met. We lived by an elementary school...every day at 3:00 when the school got out he would whine to go outside so he could lok over the short fence at all the kids. They all knew his name and would pet him...he loved it! Poor guy got mouth cancer when he was 10 and had to be put to sleep :sad: My best friend growing up.

My wife and I were going to adopt a rescue pit, but they are on the list of banned breeds from our homeowners insurance..along with Rotts, dobermans, Akitas, and a few others. We were really bummed, but then we got Gabby . We think she may be a pit/lab mix, but we only mention the lab part to our insurance .
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Your stories are all so interesting! So sorry to hear about Hawkeye and oh my LR, Cloe is such a cutie pie!!