Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 14th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Cat started sneezing fits

We adopted our 3rd cat and she has been great for several months. All of a sudden she has started sneezing fits. She gets them when she's eating even. Then she is fine for awhile in the day and starts back up.

Our other 2 cats arent doing this and never have.

She eats fine and appears great in every way except for her sneezing bouts.

Our A/C has been on now for well over 2 weeks because of the 100's plus we are having here. Before at least in the morning I would have the door open and she would love to bask in the sunshine that came in. She would sleep right on the foyer sloor in the sunshine but with the A/C on she doesnt have that privledge now and we have no way for her to lay on the window sills to catch the rays. All our cats are inside cats and do not go out at all.

How long should I wait this out before taking her to the Vet? My husband is Military and money is tight and he's away alot so I dont want to jump the gun but then I dont want to jepordize my other babies.
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM

How long have the sneezing fits been going on? Sometimes our kitties get a little something in their noses (just like humans) that irritates them, and it generally resolves itself.

Has anything come out during her sneezes? Noting the color of any mucus can help you determine if there is an infection. If it is mostly clear, kitty is probably fine--if it is yellowy/cloudy there is likely an infection that can be medicated with amoxicillin or another antibiotic.

If it continues, you should certainly see the vet; a kitty cold (or upper respiratory infection) is common and usually easy and cheap to treat.

Good luck!!

PS. The AC pushes around a lot more dust than was in the air before; it could be an allergy or just irritation.
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:34 PM

She just started this about 5 days ago. And any spray from her sneezing is clear.

I dont think anything is cheap. Over the past few years I have had our other 2 kitties at the Vet. Our one older female has arthritus and bone spurs. She was on steroids and an anitibotic for a bladder infection and that total bill was close to $1000. Our other male was sick but to this day not one Vet in that office after extensive testing ever found out what made him sick, That bill for meds and staying at the Vets for monitoring cost us over $1000.00

I hope this clears up soon. Thanks for your input.
Old June 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneCatherine View Post
How long have the sneezing fits been going on? Sometimes our kitties get a little something in their noses (just like humans) that irritates them, and it generally resolves itself.

Has anything come out during her sneezes? Noting the color of any mucus can help you determine if there is an infection. If it is mostly clear, kitty is probably fine--if it is yellowy/cloudy there is likely an infection that can be medicated with amoxicillin or another antibiotic.

If it continues, you should certainly see the vet; a kitty cold (or upper respiratory infection) is common and usually easy and cheap to treat.

Good luck!!

PS. The AC pushes around a lot more dust than was in the air before; it could be an allergy or just irritation.

Just an update:

I started spraying Lysol spray in the air vents seeing the A/C runs 24/7

I think she had an allergy because since doing that she stopped sneezing and is fine again. So now at least every other day I give the air intake vent a light spray and it seems to be killing any airborne irritants that might have been causing her sneezing. I wish things were always this easy to fix. Thanks for this great forum.