Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Closed Thread

Old November 15th, 2008, 01:11 AM

Brandy's just trying to keep you on your toes

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Slave to Dogs and 1 Angel

update 16th November 2008

This was just a new picture that had been posted online, I didn't go in to the SPCA today.

Sitting pretty.

PS. Just in case people don't recognise her, this is Brandy.
Attached Images

Last edited by Scuba; November 17th, 2008 at 01:58 AM. Reason: added a post script
Old November 16th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Scuba,she's soo pretty,I she can live the remainder of her years in a loving home
Old November 16th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for keeping us updated, scuba. I don't repsond often, but do read all the posts and love doing so.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:48 AM

Monday evening update 17/11/2008

Bentley - He got adopted! I was actually fortunate enough to meet his new parents today. Bentley was a little anxious in the reception area, there were a lot of people moving about, he was yawning and licking his lips. He kept going to his new parents for reassurance, leaning up against them and generally sucking up to people so it wasn't all bad.

This was earlier in the afternoon, so much earlier that I decide to go grab something to eat before the dog walking actually starts. I was on my bicycle today so getting about was easy. Went to a little cafe that I go to occasionally. Ordered my tea and scone, paid for it. The nice lady behind the counter said "I'll bring it to your table for you.". So, I proceeded to find a table and sit down to do a bit of reading. It wasn't until I realised that people who had arrived after me were getting their orders brought to them that I noticed something wasn't right. I got up to ask them if my tea and scone were ready yet, her reply was "OMG, I totally forgot. Would you like to pick a baked good for free from the display.". I declined, but she gave me a free voucher for a cup of tea for my next visit anyways. Finally had my tea and scone, but got to the SPCA shelter at 10 minute after six. Luckily for me, there were still a lot of dogs about.

First up for me tonight was Brewster, pretty good tonight. Only a little mouthy with the leash tonight. The leash got a little frayed on the edges but I can always make another one if this one get totally chewed up. Brewster kept getting distracted by other dogs on our walk, even if they were across the street. I took him to the park near the SPCA, it was actually so that I could put the baggies of Brewster's poo in the big bins but Brewster took the opportunities to do some zoomies. It was kind of funny cause he could only go six feet then he had to change directions since he was on a leash with me holding on to the other end. My right arm sure got a good work out. Then it was back to the shelter for him.
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:03 AM

Next up for a walk was my old buddy Chance. It was pretty funny seeing the coordinator trying to wrestle a harness on the Chance, poor boy just gets too excited at the prospect of going out. Chance was such a clown tonight. At the Vancouver Community College (VCC) parking lot, there are large strips of grass surrounding it interspersed with trees. We were walking down one of these edges. Chance goes up to the first tree in the row, sniffs it, cocks his leg but then doesn't pee. Decides he would like another tree instead. So, we walk to the next tree, once again he sniffs it and cocks his leg. Still at the last moment he changes his mind and doesn't pee. Finally, after two false starts he pees on the next five trees in a row.

I noticed that tonight with the nice weather, there were more people walking around on the streets, not like the previous times when I have walked Chance, when the weather was wet or the temperature a lot colder. Chance was sometimes getting distracted if he saw people, especially people walking other dogs. He would want to look at what these people were doing or going. Sometimes at the intersections, when I ask him to "sit and wait" he would be staring across and street and not be paying attention. If there weren't any one else around though, then he was really good and sit right away went I asked him to.

When we got close to the shelter, there was another walker in front of me so instead of creating a pile up at the gate I held Chance back in the VCC parking lot and crouch down to play with him for a bit. Chance was more interested in getting some cuddles in however. Kept trying to climb on to my lap.
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:23 AM

It was 19:30 by the time I got Chance back into his kennel. There was still some time left and even though all the dogs had been out by then. The coordinator gave me Cleopatra to take out for a little bit since she was literally bouncing off the walls. She is a Mastiff cross, fawn in colour with a white chest. She isn't that tall but is very strong.

You can see her picture and get more info here.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...79620&result=9

Once we got a leash on her, she could hardly contain herself until we got outside. Once we got about two blocks from the shelter, she calmed right down and was fairly easy to walk. Only thing was that half way through out walk she saw a cat across the street and wanted to chase it. She actually stepped off the curb and tried to cross the street. Luckily I was able to hold her back since there was a truck coming down the street. After the cat ran off somewhere and we couldn't see it anymore Cleo was calm again and easy to walk.

It was good decision on the coordinator's part asking me to take Cleo out again, since near the end of our walk Cleo had some diarrhea. At least she sat still for me to clean it all up, unlike the boys earlier in the evening. Cleopatra was also very good at sitting and waiting at intersections for me. About a block away from the SPCA, we encounter a lady walking towards us, just as we got to each other on the sidewalk. She paused and said "hi" and then proceeded to stand there. I thought she wanted to say hello to Cleo since she is pretty cute. Cleo was under the same impression and walked up to sniff the lady's hand, very well behaved mind you. No jumping up or anything. It was then that the lady told me that she was afraid of dogs and then I realised that she was standing very tense. I apologised right away and pulled Cleo away. The lady said it was ok and that Cleo was a very nice dog. I felt terrible about the whole incident.

At least Cleopatra was able to go to the bathroom one more time and when we got back to the kennel, she was a lot calmer.

PS - This is going to be the last time that I post in this thread. Starting this Friday, 21st of November 2008, I will be starting another thread about the happenings at the Vancouver SPCA. Either in the On Topic forum or General Discussions.

Thank you
Scuba
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:03 AM

YAY for Bentley

Brewster's 6 foot zoomies would've been fun to watch, probably more so not being on the other end of the leash

Too funny about Chance changing his mind about his spots I've been out on a walk w/my boy & had him to that only to find a tree off the beaten path to pee on

Cleo is gorgeous what beautiful colouring on her & such good manners

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

for Bentley,he looks like a cutie
He looks like he has a little JRT mixed in with the pittie,but I am probably wrong
Got to go and check for your new site..
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Closed at the request of the OP.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread