Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old April 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Talking Just curious... any other cats out there that do 'tricks'?

Hi there,

With all the food recall loss, confusion and general dis-spiriting going on, I wanted a fun post for a change Do any of your cats do tricks for treats?

Over the past few years - with great patience and careful consistancy - I've trained my fuzzy-biter to be much nicer and more affectionate that she used to be (she was a ferral kitten when I got her from the shelter at 8 weeks, and not too trusting).

She now allows me to cut all her nails before she gets wet food which took more than a year (she used to hiss and bite when I tried.) She also understands - and almost always obeys - 'come here'... 'sit'... 'off the table/counter'... 'get your mousey'... 'up-up' (for jumping up or looking up at something)... and even 'lie down'! She meows rarely, but will always respond when asked 'are you hungry?' or 'do you want grass?' (cat grass of course). My favorite trick is probably that she give kisses on command, touching her nose or lips to mine when I say "kiss kiss", and a second time for 'Kiss again!' - so cute.!

I have a few friends that wonder if perhaps I didn't really want a dog, the way I ask my cat to react, haha!

Any other fun cat-tales out there?
~Scary
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Hmm ... my cat Sam is definitely smarter than my other cat, Ella. Sam can play fetch- which she taught herself. Our favourite "trick" with her is to ask her "Sam, what do kitties say?" and she answers "Meow"!
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

My Seal Point Siamese does a neat high five, retries and a bunch of other stuff. The Sphynx Girls love to climb - they could join Le Cirque de Soleil, lol - and my other meezer is learning to do a high five. Three are trilingual and the newest member is learning French. The meezers are wonderful singers - at least they seem to think so, lol The Sphynx Girls love to show off their latest fashions and know where every blanket in the house is, lol
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Uh, mine will come when I call them... One of mine talks a lot in her sweet quiet voice, and the other one I rarely hear a peep from unless I ask 'are you hungry?' Then I get a big meow out of her! They both can fetch, but we rarely do that, as my dog would interfere. One cat I had growing up would sit up and beg for treats.
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:46 AM

hmmm, mine sound like they are saying mom, moooom, mooom, many times I went to check on the kids because they tricked me. lol.

Does tricking you into moving so they can steal your seat count? They call me into the kitchen to check on their food, and then race me to the living room for the seat, lol.

Oh, and a naughty trick they know, in the summer when someone might be careless with the back windows the cats will push the windows open.

Other than that, they like to leave the tricks to the dogs.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM
cat slave

my cat can eat a whole day's worth of food in one sitting
and my other cat comes to me when I call her

and my fat cat sits up like a human resting against the wall on her bum
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Helicopter Champion

Gracie has learned to beg (like the dogs), she is about 80% on 'sit' so long as there are treats in my hand, and she is well on her way to learning 'sit pretty'.

If she keeps watching and doing what the dogs do, she will soon be a kitty who barks at the neighbours.
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Talking

Thanks for the smiles all... some happy stories and visions of your cats doing these various antics made my (otherwise rather crappy) day!

Cram and Kristen7 - that's funny, my Luna is much like that... when I get home she's all quiet until I look at her and say "are you gonna say Hi?" and then "Meeeeeoooooooow!"

Cyber - holy, trilingual IS a great trick, I'm not even trilingual!!

Pappillonmomma - too funny about the moooom and seat stealing! Mine won't trick me on purpose, but sometimes when I vacate a warm spot she's right in there with a 'what? you left.' self-rightous look.... and she's right.

Jiorji - some cats vacuum up meals like dogs... A friend nick-named her cat 'hoover' because of that!

Dogastrophe - I have to fess up, there were a LOT of treats used to encourage the kisses I get... and 'lie down' usually still requires one. Mind you, now when I'm holding a treat I get about a dozen kisses, no matter what I'm actually asking of her! Pretty cute stuff.

THANKS again for the smiles!!
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Cats are so funny, I do really like the seat-stealing story. It also reminded me of my own 'hoover' kitty. She is such a 'food hound', but sneaky! On occasion I will leave things (edible) on the counters I shouldn't, usually while I'm eating in the other room. When my cat disappears and things get quiet, I go look to see what she is into in the kitchen. But I can never catch her! She hears me coming, jumps down from the counter, and lies on the floor, grooming herself, all casual, and looks at me like 'what, all I am doing is giving myself a bath!' Right! I have to laugh because it's my own fault and she is so funny about covering it up
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Now that my dog has passed away my cats greet me at the door (once solely dog duty).
If the weather is nice (and the window is left open - they know how to open windows too) they will come out and meet my car in the driveway - amazingly enough they only meet my car, somehow they know it's sound. I've come home with friends in another car and NO cats come to greet us.
If it's nice and they are out, my chickens also greet my car when it comes in the drive way. Quite the welcoming committee I have - two cats, two chickens! My neighbors get a real kick out of it.
(and yes, I do live in a rural area...)
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:13 PM
proud to be a cat slave

I've taught my oldest, Jake, to sit - and I didn't have to use treats to do it - he's a mama's boy, so praise and petting is all he needs - which, if you've seen him and all his plump glory you might be surprised! I actually use the hand signals I saw someone use for dogs on a dog training show I watched one Sunday morning, and it worked.

Of course, he's a cat, so he won't do it all the time, especially when there's a crowd around, so I of course look like a fool when I tell them my cat can sit and he doesn't do it. He probably does it on purpose.

He used to fetch and drop it right in my hand, but he's over that now.. He'll bring something vaguely close to me and then meow incessantly until I get up and throw it - I guess he's trying to get me to exercise too!

I was going to train him to use the toilet, but things came up and I didn't get a chance - I wonder if it's too late.. Anyone been successful with that one?
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Kitty pimp

i had trained a cat to use the toilet

i aslo had a bis meezer that if a guest sat in his spot on the couch he would put a paw on thier leg and slooowly extend her claws so the reaction was usually "oh how cute " turnign to "what the H&&& is he doing?

this same cat kew sic em!! and would stand up and growl which from a 18 lb siamise was a little scarey

I also has a little orange kitty called sherbet who learne to jump up and down like a rabbitt
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Aztec comes when called, but even better than that, he's learned to jump on my lap and assume "the position" for his blood glucose test and insulin shot.

But mostly, it's DH and I that are the trained ones.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

My YY does tricks for fun; she knows there are treats at some point, lol

She is not a dog so does not expect a treat for doing something (not sure Pavlov was thinking of cats, lol and I am not exactly a fan of behavior mod anyway tho it does seem to work well with doggies and sme kitties but you know that saying, dogs have owners, cats have staff, )

Here are some pix of YY doing a few of her tricks tho she would not want me calling them that - she is too much a Diva!
Attached Images

Old November 14th, 2007, 01:51 AM

My grrl Duffy comes when she's called & sits on command. She also has trained me to do a trick for her she taps on the sliding glass door when she doesn't want out onto the balcony - she wants me to follow her to the fridge for some cheese

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

:sad:My cats said they "don't do tricks" for anything. It is their job to lay around like royalty and to be waited on. Maybe I should threaten to turn them in exchange for dogs .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
Here are some pix of YY doing a few of her tricks tho she would not want me calling them that - she is too much a Diva!

Ohhhh and she does look like a diva,

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Are Cats Cleverer Than Dogs?

I have always assumed that they are but wondered whether any of you lovely people had some great stories showing true cat intelligence.
My cat Leo is definitely very smart and very manipulative!

Edited by ADMIN - No self promotion please
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I taught Ziglet to give me his paw when I say the word paw.

But he ONLY does it for treats and HE has ME trained really well....but he's 15 so I let him do what he wants.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Geek Club CEO

My old roommate's cat would fetch, sit, and close cupboard doors on command. I taught my cat to sit ages ago, but never kept up with it... Now my cats only know how to boss ME around!!!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:34 PM

Smile Awww ...

Cyberkitten, YY looks exactly like our Siamese (Tao)! That regal look and all ...

Tao can open cupboard doors ... who needs thumbs!? The other Siamese can arm wrestle ... he's good at it too for a 4-lb kitty!

The barn cats come when called; though its mostly because I feed them on a set schedule (unlike the house cats who get free choice kibble all the time) But they'll come because they know I give them extra ...

And the one talkative barn cat knows "shhh" She'll stop 'talking' and open her eyes wide as if to say "What, was that ME talking?!" So cute ...
Old December 30th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

zztop, YY has too many tricks for her own good, lol She too opens doors (handles are a cinch for her) - it is like we have to have a Siamese proof home, lol And the Sphynx Girls like to climb so we have to be careful where we put plants and glassware and those kinds of things. Siamese as you know also like to climb soooo we have a lot of stuff that is safe for cats on our shelving.

Marko, I bet Ziglet has lots of other tricks too - Siamese are sooo smart!! And sensitive.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:51 PM

Smile Wow! Theres another one out there?! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
zztop, YY has too many tricks for her own good, lol She too opens doors (handles are a cinch for her) - it is like we have to have a Siamese proof home, lol
Yes! And I thought I was crazy ... we too have to Siamese cat-proof our home. Flower arrangements can't have babys breath in them (Tao eats them!) nor can we leave our mugs of tea sitting around (Putty drinks them!), can't leave any presents under the tree that have ribbon on them (get dragged around the house, up and down stairs!), knick knacks mysteriously learn how to fly off of their secure shelves (you guess how!). And all of our furniture either has to go to the floor, or be tall enough that you can *see* when a cat is under it, or else they'll hide and wait for an unsuspecting dog to walk by and then pounce and attack!! Our siamese cats certainly hold their own against the JRT dog

Sigh ... Siamese cats are trouble for sure.

(Sorry for !!!)

<3 Owned by a very cute golden retriever; Kassie!! <3
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Devoted Kitty Slave :D

this was a great thread idea im loving it!!! my cat satis "boxes with my faiancee (what a guy thing to teach a cat haha ) when he says "put em up" . Cleo on the other hand just looks at me as if to say "are u crazy, U dont train ME , I train U!!" lol ... they both come running when i shake the treat jar and satis sits pretty on a kitchen chair for hers .. they both open the cupboard doors all by themselves and will tell us when they are hungry and my all time favourite thing they greet us when we come home

(and cats are definately at least equal to thier k9 counter-parts )