Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Goldfields, YES! A crab... that's exactly what he looks like when he's walking! Poor guy

But he does seem to be feeling a bit better. He's still a bit twisted, but he's moving easier than he was an isn't as twisted as yesterday, so hopefully he will make a full recovery

The vet said they get about a half dozen dogs a year with an actual stroke, so not many at all compared to the amount they see. Hopefully Thorins is just muscle/spine

Nookie, on the other hand, had another seizure last night. It just doesn't seem to end. I just hope one day we will be able to enjoy them without wondering what's going to happen to who next. The vet tech told me yesterday that we need to give up on having dogs and maybe consider a cat
I have to say I get so very envious whenever we go to the vet, or daycare (or anyplace where there are a lot of dogs). Hubby and I see all the people with the happy, healthy babies who obviously take it for granted, and we tend to get a little sad for our boys (and ourselves, on occasion ). But on the upside, they're both still happy, loving babies and still enjoy their food, and being with us, so I guess that's the most important thing

I have pm'd you with my email address

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Mickey, my angel

So glad to hear Thorin seems to be a bit better. More for continued improvements and a full recovery.

Sorry to hear Nookie had another seizure. I agree it doesn't seem to end for you guys. Hoping for better tomorrows for you and hubby and the furkids.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

More good vibes for Thorin's full recovery
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, no! Nookie, too!

Evan was our problem child...he taught us to never take our babies for granted and reminded us that our time together is limited and therefore very precious. So I can relate to how you're feeling Just keep in mind that you've done more for your boys than a lot of people would--and I think that's why they were sent to you. They know they're in good hands!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Rgeurts, big hugs to you and yours. If you ever search my threads you'll see what we went through with my little Tommy; trust me when I say that I really understand what you're going through with your boys. I agree with Hazel - there are reasons sometimes we get the dogs we do. I know that feeling of almost being angry at other doggy owners who have healthy pets as you sit and wonder what will happen next. You're doing such a wonderful job with your boys, and you can tell how much you love them... that means so very much, and I really believe that our babies feel that and know how much we are doing for them. Best of luck and I really hope you get a bit of a break soon from all of the trying times.
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:15 PM

Sending prayers for Thorin and Nookie and strength for you and your husband.

We had an episode of vestibular disease with our oldest dog and it honestly didn't sound like what you described. My vet also said strokes are not common in dogs. My sweet rescue Scottie had a year of declining and critical health so I don't take good health for granted. When dealing with an ill pet, you realize that each day spent together is a precious gift.

for a full recovery.
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oh, no! Nookie, too!

Evan was our problem child...he taught us to never take our babies for granted and reminded us that our time together is limited and therefore very precious. So I can relate to how you're feeling Just keep in mind that you've done more for your boys than a lot of people would--and I think that's why they were sent to you. They know they're in good hands!
Thank you so much Hazel
I know you have been through a lot with yours as well. Hubby and I do the best we can, but sometimes I just wish there were more we could do. It just breaks my heart to see them scared/hurting. I know we won't have them forever, but hopefully at least a while longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
Rgeurts, big hugs to you and yours. If you ever search my threads you'll see what we went through with my little Tommy; trust me when I say that I really understand what you're going through with your boys. I agree with Hazel - there are reasons sometimes we get the dogs we do. I know that feeling of almost being angry at other doggy owners who have healthy pets as you sit and wonder what will happen next. You're doing such a wonderful job with your boys, and you can tell how much you love them... that means so very much, and I really believe that our babies feel that and know how much we are doing for them. Best of luck and I really hope you get a bit of a break soon from all of the trying times.
Tommysmom, thank you for sharing your experiences, and for the kind words... it's truly appreciated . And yes, angry at other doggy owners is exactly what I feel sometimes, even though I know what's happening to us isn't their fault in anyway, and they have no idea what we deal with almost daily lol. I try not to feel like that, but sometimes I just can't help it. I read through a couple of yours, and will read more tomorrow. How is he doing now? And do you know what started his problems (I haven't found a thread yet that says exactly what was going on )?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
Sending prayers for Thorin and Nookie and strength for you and your husband.

We had an episode of vestibular disease with our oldest dog and it honestly didn't sound like what you described. My vet also said strokes are not common in dogs. My sweet rescue Scottie had a year of declining and critical health so I don't take good health for granted. When dealing with an ill pet, you realize that each day spent together is a precious gift.

for a full recovery.
Thank you very much ScottieDog
The time we do have with our boys is most definitely precious to us. Thorin has had good health, for the most part until about a year ago. Now with the cancer, bladder stones, colitis and whatever happened the other night, we realize how fragile he is. Nookie, on the other hand, has been sick his entire life (not that he's very old, 15 months now). He's been doing a lot better, but we know we could still lose him anytime, so we cherish every moment. I think it's just so much harder knowing we could lose them both. But we'll make it through this, we always end up ok

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about both of the dogs! Wow, you sure have your hands full. Thorin is certainly in my prayers. I hope he recovers fully. It must have been so scarry for you. Of course Nookie too is in my thoughts. I just don't know where to begin or how to say I'm thinking of you all. I know having just gone through Shadow's recent issues it's scary as heck. But with Shadow, she's had a full life and I know I can't stop the inevitable. But your two are still so young, it's just got to be heartbreaking to see them struggle so. Bless you and your hubby for doing so much for them both. You are truly earth angels for your pups - and I have to agree, they were sent to you for a reason.
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
So glad to hear Thorin seems to be a bit better. More for continued improvements and a full recovery.

Sorry to hear Nookie had another seizure. I agree it doesn't seem to end for you guys. Hoping for better tomorrows for you and hubby and the furkids.
Thank you so much
I'm hoping for a full recovery, but it's not looking like it at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about both of the dogs! Wow, you sure have your hands full. Thorin is certainly in my prayers. I hope he recovers fully. It must have been so scarry for you. Of course Nookie too is in my thoughts. I just don't know where to begin or how to say I'm thinking of you all. I know having just gone through Shadow's recent issues it's scary as heck. But with Shadow, she's had a full life and I know I can't stop the inevitable. But your two are still so young, it's just got to be heartbreaking to see them struggle so. Bless you and your hubby for doing so much for them both. You are truly earth angels for your pups - and I have to agree, they were sent to you for a reason.
Thank you so much DD
Thorin has had a good long life also (he's 11), but until all this happened recently, he was in great shape, and very puppy like. I'm just not ready to lose my precious boy

I spoke with our vet today. Thorin has improved a bit, but is still twisted to the right and somewhat walking like a crab and is still very weak in the rearend. She's thinking now, from the description we gave her, that the cancer has spread to his brain (it wasn't her we saw on Saturday). She did say that if the cancer has spread, the brain is a good place for it to go because this type of cancer, when spread to the brain, responds very well to CCNU (chemo). We have an appt. on Wed. She will give him a thorough neurologic exam and try to determine if it is skeletal, muscular or neurologic, then go from there. I'm 'ing that we have more time with him. Him and Nookie have really bonded. Nookie will be heartbroken right along with us

Old May 16th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Rguerts I just dont know when this is gonna stop for you! Again my prayers are going out to you and the boys! I am praying that he will come through this and give you some more time.

Stay strong MF!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry, I thought Thorin was younger than that. But 11 is still too short a time isn't it. Poor sweet soul. Shadow is pushing 14 now, and it's so hard to watch them struggle. All my thoughts and prayers for your two "superloved" pups. They'll always be pups in our hearts.
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I can with certainty say that all of us here,love Nanook and Thorin and that we all hope their will finally be a light at the end of the tunnel for all of you,it's been enough suffering.
Would you put Thorin through Chemo at his age,does the vet think he can handle it??
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I keep praying you'll get better news. no one will be heartbroken for a very long time!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought Thorin was younger than that. But 11 is still too short a time isn't it. Poor sweet soul. Shadow is pushing 14 now, and it's so hard to watch them struggle. All my thoughts and prayers for your two "superloved" pups. They'll always be pups in our hearts.
There's no need to apologize
He really doesn't look old at all. In fact, whenever we have both Thorin and Nanook together and talk about our "old" boy, people always think it's Nookie
Nookie looks the older (and acts, some days). Even the holistic vet we see thought Thorin was around 6-7. I had asked about putting Thorin on Recovery for arthritis and she said "well, once he's older I would consider it, but at his age I don't think we have to worry too much". I told her he was 11 (this was his first visit there) and she just couldn't believe it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I can with certainty say that all of us here,love Nanook and Thorin and that we all hope their will finally be a light at the end of the tunnel for all of you,it's been enough suffering.
Would you put Thorin through Chemo at his age,does the vet think he can handle it??
We initially said we would not do that as his quality of life is more important than quantity. Dr. Marsden had said he didn't think we should do it, so we didn't. But, Thorins last blood test and chest x-ray were great, so Dr. Marsden said it wouldn't hurt to try metronomic chemotherapy. If Thorin reacts badly to it, we will stop after the first dose and there is no permanent damage. The type of chemo he will be on is CCNU (Lomustine), which is about the mildest chemo treatment (and given orally), but the best for this type of cancer... so I guess we have had a bit of luck in all of this. For anyone who is interested (or may have to consider chemo at some point), the first two links are to metronomic chemo and the second to CCNU:

http://www.dogcancerblog.com/metronomic-chemotherapy/
http://www.nature.com/nrclinonc/jour...c.2010.82.html

http://www.tirgan.com/ccnu.htm

It seems like metronomic is relatively safe and a great option for people who are against chemo for their babies, but want to extend their life (and still maintain quality of life) for as long as possible. If Dr. Marsden is for it, so are we. He hasn't steered us wrong yet and has done wonders for Nookie. Our family vet, Dr. Stelfox, is also very knowledgable when it comes to cancer. If I remember correctly, she is one of the founders of the cancer therapy subsidation society and the one who set up the chemo within the clinic. I trust her as well.

Old May 16th, 2011, 09:28 PM
owned by Tucker

Thorin and Nanook prayers for the both of you and fodr the both of them
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Has Shadow improved at all? And yes, they will always be our "puppies"

Old May 17th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Robyn,that kind of chemo seems better,hopefully there will be some improvement in Thorin
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:58 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope the meds work well for Thorin! And I'm so thankful that you're getting such good veterinary support now! It helps so tremendously when you've got vets that listen and have open minds! When does Thorin start chemo?

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Mickey, my angel

Sending more to you and your DH and more for Thorin.

I read the information you provided on the metronomic and it sounds very promising as well as being much safer than other forms of chemotherapy. I know you won't know anything for sure until the veterinarian runs further tests tomorrow.

Keeping you in my thoughts.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Robyn, this is the first time I have read this post and I am so sorry that Thorin is going through these troubles. You can count on us for good thoughts and prayers for all of you. patti
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Live well, laugh often

Glad Thorin is feeling a bit better. Lots of hugs to all of you .
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all SO much for the good thoughts, hugs and prayers! You have no idea how much it helps the soul to know people do care

Hazel, we are set to start his chemo tomorrow evening. We have been trying for over 3 weeks now. The first appt. was cancelled as he and Nookie had Kennel Cough, then the 2nd appt. was cancelled because he had a bout of Colitis and the last was cancelled because he was still having mucousy poos and had licked the pads on his right foot completely raw , so he's stressing about something. He did that a few times when he was younger, but this is the first time in a few years . He's my neurotic boy

We have our appt. with Dr. Stelfox tomorrow evening for a neurological exam, blood work and urinalysis, then if all is well and the sores on his paw are healed/poos back to normal, we will start the chemo.

Old May 17th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Good luck at the appt tomorrow. Hopefully it will finally be the right time to start treatment!
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, we started the chemo tonight! I just hope and that he can tolerate it. She did a neurological exam and said he's doing very well. She thinks he definitely could have had a stroke, but if so, it was minor. She thinks the cancer may have spread to his brain, which is another reason to start the chemo. Apparently the only tumors it's effective on is brain tumors, otherwise, chemo is usually only effective on the free floating cells. So I think we're doing the right thing by trying. Like she said, if he doesn't tolerate it, or it drops his white count/raises his kidney values, we will discontinue and no permanent damage from 1 dose. Just the thought that we could have him another 18-24 months, in relatively good shape, makes me very happy

Old May 18th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Doggie Wench

If he doesn't tolerate it, are there any signs you're supposed to look for ?

I so admire you and your dh, Rgeurts . this works for Thorin .
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
If he doesn't tolerate it, are there any signs you're supposed to look for ?

I so admire you and your dh, Rgeurts . this works for Thorin .
That's what I asked her too
She said vomiting/diarrhea is acceptable for the first 3 days, as long as it isn't excessive. So if he vomits more than a couple times in a 12 hour period, or has consistent diarrhea, those are some of the signs and we will take him in to keep him hydrated. She said the biggest signs will come from the blood test and urinalysis next Thursday. If his kidney values have increased or his white blood count has dropped too much, we will discontinue it. If the blood work is at acceptable levels and the vomiting/diarrhea aren't too bad, we will go back 3 weeks from this Friday for a second dose. There will be 6 in all. We decided not to do the metronomic dose, but instead, opted for smaller doses of the normal therapy. The reason for this was Nookie. He's at risk for contamination, so we have to keep him and Thorin apart for the first 72 hours. After that, the risk is gone. If we do metronomic, we will have to keep them separated permanently, until the chemo is done (about 4 months). She said she would rather not do chemo than to separate them for that long, not to mention it would be almost impossible. 3 Days every 3 weeks is hard enough. So, we'll see how it goes. If it looks like he's going to suffer on it, we will end it

LP, the admiration is mutual, you're a wonderful human being

Old May 18th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
... we have to keep him and Thorin apart for the first 72 hours.
I hope this isn't going to be too difficult for you . But yeah, it's a much better option than 4 months. Is Nookie still at daycare? Maybe that'll help at least during the day.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Live well, laugh often

Wishing all the best for Thorin's treatment .
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I hope this isn't going to be too difficult for you . But yeah, it's a much better option than 4 months. Is Nookie still at daycare? Maybe that'll help at least during the day.
It won't be too bad. Hubby and I will rotate staying in the basement with Thorin and we will keep Nookie upstairs. The basement isn't bad, it's a walkout with picture windows along the entire south wall, and it's finished, so comfy and bright! I think the hardest thing will be that Nookie will keep trying to get to Thorin, he just adores him. But it's only for 3 days
And yes, Nookie still goes to daycare, so it's only the evening we will have to worry about. I work tomorrow, then I'm off until Monday, so lotsa time to take care of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Wishing all the best for Thorin's treatment .
Thank you TeriM! I'm hoping for the best! You never know unless you try, and the chemo regimen he's on is the mildest, and given orally, so I'm 'ing he will tolerate it. Once it's done, we will have up to 563 days (average lifespan with chemo) instead of maybe a few months.