Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

why does she try and cover her food like it is a turd???

No tsure if i asked this before,but quite often when i put her wet food down she wlaks up smells it and takes her paw and seems to be trying to bury it with invisible kitty litter like one of her turds......We went out to eat and i bought her striped marlin(nothing on it at all) for a special treat,put in her bowl and she did the same thing,BUT,when i sat on floor and hand fed it to her she ate all of it!!!!!! What is this all about,no matter what type of food(chicken ,tuna etc) she has been doing that.......eventually she will go eat it,but this morning she did not,and i cant keep it out all day because the ants will be all over it within 20 minutes........
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Think wild

One of my cats does this. If they had something outside, and didnt plan on eating it, what better way to save it then to bury it. So really, thats what they're doing. Trying to cover it up, to eat later.

Thats why cats use litter boxes eh. Its to mask their scent, so other wild animals don't know they're around. In the wild cats dif small holes and then cover it over when done.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow!! That does make perfect sense and i never would of thought of that,i just thought she doesnt like the food i am giving her,but then thought she cant possibly hate every different flaovr.thank you for answer.....so why do you think she wouldnt eat her $10.00 awesome marlin i bought out of her bowl ,but ate it with me sitting on floor hand feeding her?????
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:27 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho View Post
so why do you think she wouldnt eat her $10.00 awesome marlin i bought out of her bowl ,but ate it with me sitting on floor hand feeding her?????
cos she's a spoiled brat
my cats does the same thing sometimes
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
so why do you think she wouldnt eat her $10.00 awesome marlin i bought out of her bowl ,but ate it with me sitting on floor hand feeding her?????
She probably wasn't hungry enough to be bothered doing it herself, then was like o well sure if you'd like to hand feed me that's easy. One of my kitty's liked using invisible wall dirt to cover up food etc., cat's are silly creatures.
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

she is most entertaining,and if she wants to be hand fed,so be it,this is burger king she can have it her way.Now i get how some people say i am so and so and i am owned by my pet,because whatever it takes for her comfort i am here to do.I love her to death,and she can have whatever she wants.She is getting spayed next month,that is gonna be hard no food or water after 8:00 pm..Do you think this will calm her down,because in the morning she is unstoppable with attacking my feet?????and dhe can get rough.