Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 26th, 2008, 08:50 PM

Is there anything like to much socializing

When King and I are out walking King has to stop and stop everyone most people will stop and pet him, I try to have them stop and have him sit but sometimes they are to fast because he is cute. What my question is is there anything wrong with letting him go up to people on his own? I do try to prevent it I don't want to pull him back in fear of hurting is neck he is 4 1/2 months almost and his weight is 4.5 lbs so farly small. I am alittle worried about other dogs and still only allow him to go up to dogs that we know sometimes there are dogs around that I don't know and King wants to go up to them and I make it a point to ask the owners if there dog is okay with small dogs. Would it also be okay for me to bring King to a doggie park at his age and size?
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM
border collie mama

I really dont think there is such a thing as too muhc socialization. its a good way for him to meet all kinds of people and dogs. At his size and age i definately wouldnt take him to a dog park... one he might get lost ( easier to lose a small dog, imo..) two, other dogs may be too rough with a small dog, three could be stepped on by careless people. if you go to an onleash dog park, therer would be no problem what so ever, since everyone would ( or atleast should) have control of their dog it would be a good thing for him.

Last edited by allymack; August 26th, 2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

aslong as he's got all of his shots i don't see a problem going to an onleash park. Too many accidents could happen at an off leash.
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:11 PM
We're a dog's best friend

Cool

let him socialize with everyone, but really really try to make it so you are in control and people aren't just going crazy at your gorgeously cute dog! He might think 'hello friend ooooh scary person going for my head!'

bring along treats and ask them to only give him one if they can get him to sit. that will calm everything down

also, at his age (unless like aslan said he has all his shots) he shouldn't go to a dog park. i would consider it though if he has got all shots because if he is more socialized than not, he will respond better when a scary thing does happen (mean person, dog bites) and he will get over it and still not be fearful if he realizes that there are more good things in the world out there than bad things

I do!!
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there anything

A tiny dog like that would be better off wearing a harness as pulling on their necks can cause permanent damage to the spine and trachae. One of my dogs is only 4 1/2 lbs. so I had to get her a cat harness as the ones for dogs wern't snug enough (she could walk out of them) and the buckles were too heavy.
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I personally think that too much socializing is not that great. You want a friendly dog that is not a danger to people or other animals, but to have a dog that is encouraged to approach others can be hazardous. I would teach him limits and boundries. While he is young this can be accomplished easily. A command to engage to social 'hellos' is better than letting him be approached and he being encouraged by that approach.

As the dog ages, people will not find him 'as cute' if you will. Because he knows that people are attracted to him now while he is young he will think it the norm when full grown. I also think if ever (heaven forbid) he gets loose and approaches people, dogs or traffic to get to the people and dogs.

We would not want our children to be too social, so why would we want our dogs to be. I would prefer that my dog be a little 'leary' of people - there are some strange people out there that may snatch up the dog one day and does who know what.

Not a professional opinion - just an opinion.