Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 21st, 2004, 08:38 PM

Question Small laborador?

My fiance and I are looking for a small, city friendly, people friendly, other dog friendly, preferably short haired dog. We are interested specifically in laboradors. Does anyone know of a small laborador breed? We just had a bad experience with a Boston Terrier that we got from a rescue league - he was very agressive. Does any one have ideas/suggestions of a good laborador model that would fit our needs? We now want to get a puppy!! Tx.
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:48 PM

Re: Small laborador?

Quote:
Originally posted by ds953
My fiance and I are looking for a small, city friendly, people friendly, other dog friendly, preferably short haired dog. We are interested specifically in laboradors. Does anyone know of a small laborador breed?
I apologize in advance because this is going to sound facetious, but you DO know that the Labrador IS a breed unto itself, and not a classification of breed types, right? Meaning there aren't different "breeds" of Labs.

There is no such thing as a "small laborador breed" (sic). Labrador retrievers are a medium-large dog, generally weighing more than 55 lbs. Typically they seem to be closer to about 65-70. They are by NO MEANS small like the Boston Terrier you had the bad experience with.

As puppies, they are holy terrors (and this comes from someone who raises border collie puppies!). Chew chew chew chew chew chew chew. Probably someone who has had Lab puppies can attest to that.

And I believe the "docile Lab" imagine doesn't start applying until they are considerably older. I was actually out with my border collies recently and ran into a woman with her Lab in the park. She mentioned she was thinking about getting a second dog, probably a BC, and I cautioned that the breed needed a lot of exercise. She said "Oh I know what you mean, my Lab needs about 4 hours every day." I was floored, because my border collies sure don't need 4 hours every day!

If you are looking for a small breed, the Lab is NOT it. And as someone who lives in the city with a very high energy breed of dog, I can tell you that I think what you mean by "city friendly" is not something that applies to the Lab. While a dedicated owner can live anywhere with her dogs, because she will go the distance to give them what they need, Labs need exercise and lots of room to run (play ball, swim etc.) and that can be difficult in the city.

Maybe you are thinking of something else?

RDM
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, yeah...labs can be friendly easy dogs, but they have a ton of energy & are DEFINITELY not small!

I'd give rescue another try (they often have pups) or the shelter, often cute mixed breed pups desperately needing homes there.
Puppies are a lot of work, better start start taking your vitamins, you'll need the energy!
Old January 21st, 2004, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Does any one have ideas/suggestions of a good laborador model that would fit our needs?
LABRADORS only come in one "model" and there are no compact models!

Please do NOT get any dog until you have done TONS of research, or you'll be sending another dog back again.

Boston Terrier are lovely dogs, generally good for the city, people loving and good with other pets. I'm shocked a rescue gave you an aggressive one. This is NOT an aggressive breed, and I think this would be a good breed for you.

But do your homework first! Be prepared to take any dog you get to obedience school and to spend time training,exercising and playing with it.

Good dogs don't just happen - they take work!
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:14 PM

I have two labs right now, bought them when they were puppies. I live in the country were they have LOTS of room to run. I know the labs we have out here are toward the large side of the breed. They are wonderful, friendly family dogs, but they are extremly energetic! If you live in a city with little to no yard, you would have to take the dog to the park for at least AT LEAST an hour a day. Not including other walks to go potty! They love to pounce and play, so you wouldn't really want a pup/young adult if you are living in an apartment. They are also prone to seperation anxiety! Which means if they are the only animal at home when you leave for work, you will come home to a disaster in your home, torn up trash and furniture to mention a few things they can do. I would suggest getting a smaller, dog while you are young and unsettled. When you are able to buy a home, and have room for running, then you can consider getting a larger breed dog.