Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM

English Bulldog-like temperament

Hello all!

Up until recently I have always wanted a Bulldog. Not only do I find their appearance great, but those I've known have always had highly appealing personalities.

I was on the verge of owning my first when I began reading about their numerous health issues do to the over breeding of certain traits. Now I question whether I truly want to own one. The initial cost is high, the vet bills are apparently high and I feel as if I would be supporting a form of cruelty. No offense is intended to current bulldog owners. I still love the dog, but am not sure if supporting the constant genetic deformation of would be an ethical choice for me.

So now I'm searching for potential alternatives. My main concern is finding a dog with a similar personality. A dog that is loving, affectionate, but is low- energy and loves sitting and sleeping, and doesn't need constant energetic play time. A dog that can be alone when I'm working (I work at home, but don't want something yipping at me or tearing up the house while I can't play).

As well it must be less than 50 pounds. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all!
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor

English Bulldog

I agree that certain breeds seem to have more genetic health issues than others but no dog comes pre-trained, there is work involved in all aspects and behaviours you desire but a reputable rescue org can give you great info on a specific dog that they have in foster so check out Petfinder for a dog that appeals you, you might end up with a pet that will fit in to your life style and at the same time you are saving a life.
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:19 PM

I appreciate advocating adoption, and have adopted each of the 12 dogs I've had throughout my life. However, at this time in my life I can't handle another yippy ball of energy (as was "Yippy" my recently passed beagle cross, who was ever so docile when I found her at the humane society, and then turned into a ball of pure energy after a week, despite my training efforts).

I'm looking for a dog breed that is generally known to be calm, because I can't keep up with another Yippy

I know that training affects how a dog behaves and I know temperament can vary between individual dogs, but speaking generally Bulldogs are known to be much more "relaxed" than other breeds (just like you can say that generally Jack Russels are high energy dogs).

Any help is appreciated.

(BTW please don't post the "dogs for seniors lists" found on the web. They are all quite poor quality. Sample line from such a list: 'this dog is high energy, barks constantly, needs constant walks, but is good for seniors as a watch dog b/c it barks at everything that moves(even though is 1/2-a-foot to the top of its head).

Last edited by Pugalicious; August 29th, 2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Molly's mama

I really think it would be difficult to generalize by breed. With every breed, you will experience a range of temperments and personalities. SO much of it has to do with how you raise your dog!!!!
My in-laws have a bulldog and she is anything but docile. She is one of the most stubborn dogs I have ever known, not to mention all of her health problems.
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree with MollyWog. Looking for a certain 'breed' in your situation may not be the best road to take.

Instead, as mentioned I'd reccomend going to your local rescue and meeting different dogs they have there. Are you open to adopting an older, more 'retired' dog? It sounds like this may be the best fit for what you're looking for. ANY young dog will be a bundle of energy, regardless of breed.

My friend currently owns an english bulldog, and she is anything but 'calm' and certainly doesn't want to sleep all day...not to mention, extremley stubborn - obedience training has been very tricky and required a LOT of patience.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Interesting that the perception of the English bulldog as being calm. I have fostered a few thus far and they are pretty energetic.

That being said, all dogs are different. It is not breed specific as to what is calm and what is not. Absolutely the norm of certain breeds such as the visla, border collie, labrador etc... require quite a bit of exercise. Again, there is no rule of thumb. Just as an example: in a shelter sits a beautiful husky X GSD X lab who is young, calm and gentle....totally out of the norm of such breed mixture.

Great advice has been provided. Go to a rescue group whom can help you as most dogs are in foster homes and they will be able to match you with what you are looking for.

Best of luck to you and I commend you on knowing what you can and cannot handle. You are not impulsive and responsible as to your limitation. That alone is commendable.
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:17 PM
banned user

You are spot on - Bulldogs are extremely easy going dogs - and it's a real shame that people have turned them into the sad freaks that they are today. My two cents would be to start looking atthe large breeds - they seem to be (for the most part) relaxed vs. the smaller ones.

oops - I just read the "smaller than 50lbs" Good luck on your search!
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecker View Post
You are spot on - Bulldogs are extremely easy going dogs - and it's a real shame that people have turned them into the sad freaks that they are today. My two cents would be to start looking atthe large breeds - they seem to be (for the most part) relaxed vs. the smaller ones.
Brecker, where are you getting your information? This is completley untrue....

As mentioned, english bulldogs are FAR from calm and easy going. Many large breeds have a lot of energy and require a lot of excercise and walking.

As has already been stated above, it's best to look at the individual dog and NOT the breed.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree with Bailey - they are not all that easy. Very stubborn to boot. Training them is like training a bull to shake hands....ok a slight exaggeration
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Molly's mama

sad freaks??? what??
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:40 PM
banned user

Lets follow the OP's requirements shall we?

Bulldogs do not require "alot" of exercise period. AND, they do NOT require constant energetic playtime!! He didn't mention if they are smart or stubborn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, yes they are a genetic massacre, and should never had been bred with these physical attributes. Just one of many examples of us humans being idiots with nature.

Anymore questions?

Last edited by brecker; August 31st, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:48 PM
Molly's mama

The OP did indicate that he/ she is looking for a dog with a Bulldog - type personality. I would definitely say that being stubborn/ difficult to train, is indeed a part of the Bulldog personality. However, I think that calling them sad freaks would be taking it too far.
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Lets follow the OP's requirements shall we?

Bulldogs do not require "alot" of exercise period. AND, they do NOT require constant energetic playtime!! He didn't mention if they are smart or stubborn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, yes they are a genetic massacre, and should never had been bred with these physical attributes. Just one of many examples of us humans being idiots with nature.

Anymore questions?
Brecker, it's a very common misconception that bulldogs don't require a lot of excercise, which bulldog owners quickly find out. True, they get tired more easily, but after a quick rest - most are more than happy to get right back up and play to their hearts content again. (Especially young ones.) Not to mention their stubborn streak which at times can be more tiring for owners than the actual 'excercise' factor.

Bulldogs usually only live to be around 8 years old, and so compared to other breeds you could say they get "old" faster...which is another reason people tend to say that they are more docile than other breeds. Of course, this is the farthest thing from the truth.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:19 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Brecker, it's a very common misconception that bulldogs don't require a lot of excercise, which bulldog owners quickly find out. True, they get tired more easily, but after a quick rest - most are more than happy to get right back up and play to their hearts content again. (Especially young ones.) Not to mention their stubborn streak which at times can be more tiring for owners than the actual 'excercise' factor.

Bulldogs usually only live to be around 8 years old, and so compared to other breeds you could say they get "old" faster...which is another reason people tend to say that they are more docile than other breeds. Of course, this is the farthest thing from the truth.
It is not a misconception at all. They are lower than the average dog for exercise needs. Why are we debating this? Are you saying that they should run the same distances of a Border collie or retriever each day? Let's not start a "misconception" that they need lots of exercise
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Bulldogs are extremely easy going dogs
This is what you said. This is not true.

I agreed and already stated that bulldogs get tired much more quickly than your some of the other breeds, but to say that they are 'easy going' or 'calm' is false.

Not to mention that the OP is looking for a dog that is happy to sleep all day, which again - the bulldog breed doesn't do. Assessing a dogs individual needs/personality/age is the only way to aquire a dog that the OP is looking for.
Sure bulldogs may rest more often than the breeds you've mentioned, but this is not to say that they don't play hard or that they don't need consistant excercise to satisfy their needs. I have seen MANY a destructive bulldog because owners assume that they are aquiring a docile animal. So yes, it IS a misconception.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Bulldog traits

Hello Pugalicious,

Perhaps we can help, if you describe some personality traits that would fit well with you and your family
As this thread indicates, bulldogs vary and non of us have had common experiences with the dogs we have loved.
I have a bulldog in my house now, and would be pleased to discuss with you what my experience has been. I can tell you that there are lots of bulldogs out there to be loved! There are many bullies who have been purchased by irresponsible owners who did not have even the slightest clue about what was involved. It is adult bulldogs, who I have observed can be quite dominant, seem to make the adoption and foster lists quickly.
If you are interested in a bully- there are lots out there...
Let us know about the personality list. I currently have the calmest Dogue De Bordeaux in the world, though he is too big for your description.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Joanne
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Just to add

The reason I suggest an adult...
I agree with the breeding techniques being harmful to bulldogs, and as a result I think we (as people) now have an obligation to assist this breed. They need lots of TLC to maintain a good quality of life and there are lots of bullies who are not treated as well as they should be.
I can understand the feeling to not perpetuate breeding for this particular dog.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Are you saying that they should run the same distances of a Border collie or retriever each day? Let's not start a "misconception" that they need lots of exercise
I don't think anyone suggested this extreme. So how about some suggestions for the OP Brecker. What is your suggestions based on your experience? (not being rude, just giving you an opportunity to respond).
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:48 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
The OP did indicate that he/ she is looking for a dog with a Bulldog - type personality. I would definitely say that being stubborn/ difficult to train, is indeed a part of the Bulldog personality. However, I think that calling them sad freaks would be taking it too far.
Some people like a more independent type dog who isn't drooling at your feet to be told to sit or stay 25 times a day. It's the Independent "trait" that is appealing vs say a Border Colie who lives and breathes your every move while starring constantly at you. Does this make sense?

The Bull-dog genetic make-up is indeed very sad (no offense) if you would just research the breed. Just because we could do it, doesn't mean we should have. I realize most people don't get this, and that's fine.

I really think we should re-consider the dog in general and what we've done to them, good and bad. (another thread perhaps?) I'm more focusing on the purpose of a dog and what that means. *ducks for cover*
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:51 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I don't think anyone suggested this extreme. So how about some suggestions for the OP Brecker. What is your suggestions based on your experience? (not being rude, just giving you an opportunity to respond).
He gave us a limit of 50 lbs - so I'm clueless. I'd never own a dog that small

Bigger the better when it comes to temperament!
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Some people like a more independent type dog who isn't drooling at your feet to be told to sit or stay 25 times a day. It's the Independent "trait" that is appealing vs say a Border Colie who lives and breathes your every move while starring constantly at you. Does this make sense?

The Bull-dog genetic make-up is indeed very sad (no offense) if you would just research the breed. Just because we could do it, doesn't mean we should have. I realize most people don't get this, and that's fine.

I really think we should re-consider the dog in general and what we've done to them, good and bad. (another thread perhaps?) I'm more focusing on the purpose of a dog and what that means. *ducks for cover*
Most here are quite dog savvy so I guess we realize more than credit given.

So back to the topic, what breed would you suggest? And really is it still breed that should be recommended for the needs of the OP? I think not.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:57 PM
banned user

Quote:
And really is it still breed that should be recommended for the needs of the OP? I think not.
?? You are wrong IMO. Breeds were bred with certain character traits, so he should start here, at least it's a proven way to start.

Let's work backwards.. Do not get a sporting or herding breed - that's a start.
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
?? You are wrong IMO. Breeds were bred with certain character traits, so he should start here, at least it's a proven way to start.

Do not get a sporting or herding breed - that's a start.
Brecker, I think the point you're missing here is that individual dogs have very different personality traits. I adopted a seven year old standard poodle years ago, and despite what you'd normally read about the breed (active, high excercise requirements) this was the most laid back dog you'd ever met. This was partly due to his age, and his good training history. He was happier to lounge around at home or for nice walks than he was to bolt around at the off-leash. He had a very low-interest in other dogs, would rather chase a ball for 15 minutes and be done.

In this OP's situation, for what they are looking for, it's NOT best to consider breed first.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Let's work backwards.. Do not get a sporting or herding breed - that's a start.
Ok so how about listing those breeds then based on your observation/recommendation/experience. Would a puggle be an option though not a 'breed'? How about a mix bulldog? But I guess based on the mix it either would or would not suit the OP. Or would it?
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Ok so how about listing those breeds then based on your observation/recommendation/experience. Would a puggle be an option though not a 'breed'? How about a mix bulldog? But I guess based on the mix it either would or would not suit the OP. Or would it?
Good questions BM! Curious to hear the answers.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He gave us a limit of 50 lbs - so I'm clueless. I'd never own a dog that small

Bigger the better when it comes to temperament!
So if you never owned a dog of 50lbs or less, why would you assume the bigger the better when it comes to temperment?

To the OP:

Breed has nothing to do with what may fit into your lifestyle. I have had some lazy rotties (Ben in particular), GSDs and even a pit (all out of the 'norm' of what was to be expected. In saying this, there were attributes about them that were breed specific.

The very best advice was given above. Go into petfinder, find a dog that you like, ask the rescues or shelters questions and find out all that you can about the dog that fancys you. You will be very surprised as to what dogs are available that fit your height, weight and temperment discription. Don't limit yourself based on a breed as suggested, base it on the character this particular dog has. If in a foster home environment, you will get all the information that you need and from there you will know whether or not he/she fits in your lifestyle.

Good luck to you on this very exciting venture.

(Brecker, I mean you no disrespect). Just want to add that.

Last edited by BenMax; August 31st, 2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: because, because, because.
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:31 PM

I also agree that bulldogs have been bred to a genetic mess, JMO of course.

I understand what all of you are all saying but on off all the breeds you can think off name a few that are lower energy than a bulldog. Yes they need exercise, they are dogs after all, but on average they need less exercise than most breeds.
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Less active: Just guesses of course but I will stick to 'breed' specific without actually meeting the dog (as stated, they are all different in nature - but here we go anyways):

Basset hound, Dacshound (spelling sorry), Pekingnese..oh boy this is hard...I can't think of any others. (where the heck is the scratching the head icon???)
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM

Bassets are a hunting breed and everyone I have known needs plenty of exercise, they just do it slower, which is of course why they were bred with short legs. Dachshunds, minis perhaps I dont know any, but standards need a fair amount of exercise. I guess a few of the toy breeds would qualify.
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
Bassets are a hunting breed and everyone I have known needs plenty of exercise, they just do it slower, which is of course why they were bred with short legs. Dachshunds, minis perhaps I dont know any, but standards need a fair amount of exercise. I guess a few of the toy breeds would qualify.
Some Bassets I have seen *don't* need a lot of excercise, but then again this goes back to what everyone has been saying. Some traits are breed specific, but as far as energy 'levels' go - this all depends on age, the dogs history & specific personality.

Which toy breeds are you referring to? Most that I can think of are quite the opposite of low energy dogs.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)