Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 28th, 2010, 01:31 AM

Question Couple more kitty questions

I'm assuming Gizmo is a Domestic long hair and I've been doing a little internet reading on the breed, which apparently isn't a breed itself so much as a fancy name for a cat of indeterminate breed that has long hair. My questions concern grooming. I bought a kitty brush that doesn't seem to penetrate his fur at all, so I've been using a narrow-toothed comb instead. But I have a furminator brush that I use on the dog, which works very well for getting rid of his loose fur, right down to the undercoat. But I'm afraid that it will be a little too harsh on Gizmo's baby skin. Is it safe, or can someone recommend an alternative brush/comb that will help keep his loose hair to a minimum?

My second question involves bathing. With the dog, I've never found in necessary to bathe him more than a couple times a year, unless he's managed to get himself into something unpleasant. I know shampoos CLAIM they're safe to use daily if you want, but I've been wary of causing skin dryness or irritation. The sites that I've been to recommended bathing Gizmo once ever 1-2 weeks to help avoid matted fur and hairballs. So is that actually necessary, or will daily brushing with a decent comb or brush be enough to keep those issues at bay? He does groom himself, although it's not a daily occurrence -- maybe every other day, unless he's earned himself a squirt of water, usually by getting on my kitchen table and then he'll sit and lick the water out with a very offended expression on his face. I'd rather not bathe him more often than he needs it, but at the same time, if he really needs it that often, then I need to start doing that. He's only had a couple of baths since I brought him home, although he doesn't seem to mind it that much. He certainly hasn't registered any complaints!
Old November 28th, 2010, 07:53 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The Furminator has a brush made for cats too. It is basically the same though so use the dog one for Gizmo too. Or you could try a good slicker brush.
You should never ever have to bathe a kitty unless they have gotten into something that covers their entire body or they have a bad case of diarrhea. Then it is only necessary to bathe the back end if at all. Cats normally do a great job of keeping themselves fastidiously clean. In fact if they stop bathing themselves it can be a sign of illness and they need to see their vet. Gizmo is an indoor cat, right? So what can he get into that is making him dirty enough to need a bath? Bathing cats strips their skin of needed oils and dries it out too much. That can lead to a multitude of other issues. I'm sure Gizmo is bathing himself at night or at other times when you just don't see him. Cats spend a large portion of their day grooming.
If Gizmo is on a good meat based wet diet, not dry food, he should not be getting matts. Especially if you are brushing him daily or every second day. For hairballs putting a small amount of butter on his front feet or even a bit on his front legs so he licks it off will do the trick.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Willing cat servant

The furminator is awesome however just make sure that when you use it you really finish getting rid of the lose fur removed by the furminator. Sometimes cats get impatient and they don't let you finish 100% but like 90% and all that fur could go to his belly and give Gizmo a hard time with furballs.
Pass your hand on him and make sure there's not still a bunch of hairs coming off after the combing.

I only bath cats when something our of the ordinary happened like if for some reason they got a poopy butt (happens sometimes with long haired cats) or spilled something on them while causing mischief, things like that.
Aside that they don't need baths (like you said) I never had a problem with any shampoo making their skin dry if you only use it very rarely when necessary.
If you use a normal brush for cats brush him everyday if you use the furminator it's only once a week or once every 10 days.
Old November 28th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
For hairballs putting a small amount of butter on his front feet or even a bit on his front legs so he licks it off will do the trick.
Just to clarify, do you mean actual, real butter, or something like country crock or parkay? I want to be sure, since I thought butter=dairy and cats = lactose intolerant.

Otherwise, THANK YOU, I thought that whole bathing thing seemed a little hinky, but it was on enough different sites that I had doubts.
Old November 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koteburo View Post
The furminator is awesome however just make sure that when you use it you really finish getting rid of the lose fur removed by the furminator. Sometimes cats get impatient and they don't let you finish 100% but like 90% and all that fur could go to his belly and give Gizmo a hard time with furballs.
Pass your hand on him and make sure there's not still a bunch of hairs coming off after the combing.
You should see when I brush the dog! I try to do it outside when the weather is nice enough, otherwise my living room looks like it's snowing fur inside when I brush him. He's got kind of a water dog type coat, so there's a LOT of hair that comes out from his undercoat. I end up covered in it, and even though I try to swipe the clinging fur off, he still has to shake vigorously to remove it. And then it's half an hour of vacuuming, which both he and the cat hate. Thanks for the advice!
Old November 28th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassy3399 View Post
Just to clarify, do you mean actual, real butter, or something like country crock or parkay? I want to be sure, since I thought butter=dairy and cats = lactose intolerant.
I would use real butter. Margarines are too chemically. Butter contains only trace amounts of lactose and isn't a problem for cats, just don't give them too much. Like 1/4 - 1/2 tsp max. Try offering it from your finger first, most cats like the taste.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM

I have no doubt that Gizmo will love it -- it's hard to keep him out of all my food, regardless of what it is!
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Willing cat servant

Even Scully likes butter and of all the cats I've met (and trust me I know lots) she is the pickiest ever

I can imagine the universe of fur when you comb your doggie with the furminator, if we Scully we got LOTS
I stopped using it on her because in the end there was always lots of clinging fur that was off and she had problems with furballs big time (Had to take her to the vet several times) that's why the advice of REALLY finish the job 100%
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koteburo View Post
Even Scully likes butter and of all the cats I've met (and trust me I know lots) she is the pickiest ever
Please tell me you've got a Mulder to go with your Scully!

The furminator worked well, even if Gizmo thought it was time to play. He certainly did his best to wrestle the brush into submission, and he bit my elbow, the little brat. I'm getting used to that, though. Even if I try to brush him while he's sleeping, he'll wake up and assume it's play time, grab the brush or comb with his front paws and rabbit kick with his back ones.
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Jassy,I am a senior and have had cats most of my life,but never have I given them a bath and I never will.
Except when my Vinnie was found on the street his white fur was filthy,so he had sort of a bath,but never since.
I believe if you give a cat a bath,every 1-2 weeks as you mention,you might even do him harm,destroy his natural oils in his fur.
He is perfectly capable to keep himself clean