Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Smile issues with 9 week old pup

Hi,
I have a 9 week old cane corso.. beautiful dog. I realise hes still a baby only 9 weeks old (we brought him home when he was a bout 6 1/2 weeks old). I don't know if its a real issue or not but he seems to be getting aggressive. Like play biting.. i think. he'll be normally playing and then all of a sudden he'll jump on you growl try to bite ur hand feet.. MY HAIR .,. he loves pulling on my hair. sometimes when hes really mis behaving a lot.. i tie him in isolation till he dosent completely stop whining and barking (he wont stop for 15-20 times). and when hes completely quiet.. i let him off.. and then he'll be calm. I'm just wondering if I am doing the right thing. I don't want this pup to grow up and have any behavioural issues. Please let me know if im on the right track.

thanks

Riti
Old November 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

This sounds pretty normal for a 9-week old pup...especially since you got him so young. Ideally, he would have been with his sibs a little longer and learned from them what is 'too rough' and how hard is 'too hard'. So now you'll get to be his teacher.

Pups of this age often get a little too stimulated and need a time out. Not sure if I'm crazy about tying him in isolation...but I'm not sure what exactly you mean, either Regardless, a time out can do wonders. If play stops when he gets too rough, then he'll eventually get the idea that 'too rough' is no fun. We crate trained our pups and when they needed a time out, we put them in the crate with their favorite toy (in our case, a Kong to chew on) till they calmed down a bit.

If you see that puppy is started to get a little crazy, sometimes distracting him with a toy will do the trick. But if his circuits get tripped, give him a time out. Patience and consistency are key here.

One piece of practical advice. Buy a pair or two of bicycle gloves--the type that covers the back and palm of the hand but leaves the fingers free. Until he learns not to use his mouth, the gloves will save you the agony of hamburger hands. But remember--even if it doesn't hurt, it's your job to teach him bite inhibition, so stay consistent and develop your patience.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM

Talking thanks... !

thanks for the reply.... ya i do realise we brought him home when he was too young...... but i wouldnt have thought about the gloves.. willl definitely invest in those.. and by isolation i sorta meant time out.. i think it does help a little bit.. ya we are crate training him self.. sometimes when he goes a bit crazy we put him back in the crate till he learns to calm down... so i guess i am doing the right thing.. thanks for confirming that !
Old November 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You don't want to make the crate a 'punishment', though--if you crate train him, he should think of it as a safe den, not a prison. So we always put that Kong in with them and let them chew it till they calmed down.

Also, when you play with him, don't get too 'excited'. Keep the voice and the movements calm. It will help him to keep his excitement in check, too

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Smile raising voice

what about yelling and screaming. Sometimes when hes really mis behaving we yell at him.... like really raise the voice... im guessing thats a bad thing to do right?.... we do leave some of his toys in his crate though
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The problem with yelling is that puppy will learn he doesn't have to obey till you get angry enough to yell. That's not a good thing. In addition, if you need to get his attention away from something dangerous, if he's used to loud voices, you'll have a harder time. So grasp your patience with both hands, use a firm tone with normal loudness, and enforce what you tell him. If you tell him to come, for example, and he doesn't, walk (don't run) calmly toward him and follow till you catch up, then grab him by the collar and walk him to where you called him from. No yelling, just bring him back. Eventually he'll realize he's going to have to come after all, and start doing it on his own. Puppies can be very trying on the patience, but your hard work now will pay off in the end.

Have you considered getting him enrolled in Puppy Kindergarten classes once he's had all his shots? It's a wonderful socialization experience and a great opportunity for both of you to learn some new things!

Old November 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Thumbs up

i have been looking into some professional training but i thought he was too young for that ... did not know about puppy kindergarden classes.. thats something else i will look into... thanks again......
and about the yelling.. thats was my biggest concern i wasnt quite sure if its the right approach.. i will try exactly what u told me..... he is stubborn tho.. lol and ur so right abt the patience but either way........ gotta do whatevers best for him.....
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Riti,we would love to see a pic of him,we don't have anyone with a Cane Corso on the Forum.
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

He's a bit young for professional training, but puppy classes would be ideal. Lots of fun, too--for both of you.

Old November 15th, 2008, 07:02 PM

picture :)

here you go i hope you guys enjoy the pictures !!
its actually my bf's pup...... and he has pictures of him too
Attached Images

Old November 16th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww what a little sweet-heart,please do not expect too much from a playful little pup
I don't have a dog,but I am just guessing,screaming at a baby will only make him fearful,the same as with human babies and kittens.
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM

I agree with the others have mentioned. Puppies learn bite inhibition from their mom and siblings, between the ages of 5 to 8 weeks old (for large medium to large breeds). When they are removed too young, it's the new owners who have to teach them. Two things you could also try, is when the pup tries to bite you, yell out a firm " Ouch" several times and if he continues, walk away. It might take a couple of weeks, but he will soon get it.

If you have friends who have an adult dog. You might also try some play dates. Adult dogs will also teach him what is acceptable and what is not. Of course make sure that the adult dog is good with others.
Good luck and enjoy him, they grow up soooo fast.
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM

thanks guys.. for all the posts.. ya i know it breaks my heart if i yell at him i have actually stopped yelling at him.. and i even noticed hes getting a little better with the biting ..
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:50 AM
Master of the Drool!

I have 2 big boys too Rita. I got them at 10 weeks so they had all their lessons from their mom and littermates but when I first got them they like to test... if they get riled up or "play bite" I give them a stern No and then get them to lay down till they have calmed down. I have the 2 crates but if I but one in the crate I get the other crying to get his brother out.. Puppy classes are Awsome!!!! Alot of fun.
Also find a older doggy friend. We have a Lab x rescue whose 10 come and play with the boys and he isn't scared to put the boys in place if they get out of hand. your Little Guy Is way too cute!!!!!!!! Beatiful pics
Good luck on your little man
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!