Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 14th, 2010, 08:26 PM

Beavers killed dog

Busy beavers beating up dogs in Red Deer park; city investigating
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at 20:51 on July 14, 2010, EDT.
By The Canadian Press

RED DEER, Alta. - Beavers who make their homes in an off-leash park are going to be trapped and killed after the death of one dog and at least one attack on another pet in the last week.

Trevor Poth, parks superintendent with the City of Red Deer, said the attacks happened at Three Mile Bend, a conservation area in the north end of Red Deer.

"One attack that was reported to Alberta Animal Services was a fatality of a pet and our understanding is that it was a fairly large dog," Poth said Wednesday.

"We believe the dog was swimming in the water, potentially chasing after the beaver and the beaver turned to defend itself and attacked the dog."

He said another attack was reported directly to the city.

"A dog jumped in the water to swim after the beaver and the beaver turned on the dog and attacked it."

Poth said it's the first report the city has received of any beavers attacking dogs "so it's something we have taken very seriously."

Poth said beavers are a natural part of the park and called the reported attacks "an incident completely out of the blue."

A conservation biologist was sent out to investigate the area, Poth said, and found two beaver lodges that they believe are home to six to 12 adult and young beavers.

"It's just a case that we believe the animal was feeling threatened in some fashion and was defending itself or defending its lodge and family from what it viewed as a predator which was a dog that probably didn't know what it was getting itself into and was being a little bit snoopy," he said.

Because of the severity of the attacks, Poth said it's necessary to trap and kill the beavers to keep park users safe.

Beavers are very aggressive with predators and other beavers, Poth said.

"The problem with beavers is they are territorial. If we were to relocate to an area where another beaver was, they actually do fight literally to the death for their territory, so it's the most humane thing we can do in this situation is to actually eliminate the beavers from the area altogether."

He said they won't prevent other beavers from coming in.

But Poth also said people have to take some responsibility for their dogs.

"In any situation where an animal goes after wildlife or chases wildlife at all we think that dogs should be able to be stopped by their owner. Part of the responsibility of the owners is making sure they have enough control over their pet that they can recall them at any point for the safety of other animals in the park, other pets in the park and other users as well.

"Coexisting with wildlife is a hugely important part of responsible park use."

The certified trapper will be out from dusk to dawn on Thursday night and Friday morning, setting the fatal traps while the park is closed, Poth added.

— By Mary Jo Laforest in Edmonton

©The Canadian Press, 2010
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Wow, kill the beavers for defending themselves????? My dogs swim in various ponds creeks and lakes all of which I'm sure have beavers around. I guess having control of your pet is too much to ask.
Poor beavers, and dog of course but the beavers now have to die for doing what is a means of survival for them.
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:42 PM

Be careful of the danger when taking your dog to off leash trails. As the mercury rises, we tends to spend more time with our pets in the woods and water. There'll be a lot of chances of encountering wild lifes. (There was a cougar shot last week not too far my municipality next to a day-care.)
BTW, watch out for that beaver trap too. A golden was killed by one of these traps illegally set near my office a couple of years back. In this case, the owner was at fault as well. It was not supposed to be an off-leash area.
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW...not sure what to say. I feel terrible for the dog, but I don't think it was right to kill off a whole colony of beavers because they just reacted instinctively...
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Unbelieveable that an animal defending itself is going to be killed under these circumstances. That is just absolutely ridiculous! The owners should not let their dog go after wildlife period.
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG, I just can't believe that . Those poor Beavers. It states this is suppose to be a conservation area Why are dogs allowed to run free in a place that is suppose to conserve wildlife and vegetation????

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
OMG, I just can't believe that . Those poor Beavers. It states this is suppose to be a conservation area Why are dogs allowed to run free in a place that is suppose to conserve wildlife and vegetation????
Exactly L4H. Now I wonder if a cat was killed if the same decision would be made...I am just saying....
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

This really peeves me off. I am speechless and heartbroken. I wish they would think of a humane alternative.
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
This really peeves me off. I am speechless and heartbroken. I wish they would think of a humane alternative.
The alternative in my opinion is not to allow dogs loose.
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:26 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
The alternative in my opinion is not to allow dogs loose.
Precisely!....Why should two Beaver Lodges have to pay with their lives so that Pongo can go for a dip safely. I just can't understand the logic behind this
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

If they are setting out the traps tonight I wonder if there can't be a petition started or something to stop this barbaric human interference.
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I think the off leash dog park should be closed and reopen a new one..somewhere else. But this costs money..and it is cheaper to just kill the beavers, plus the public would proabably be in an outrage, because they couldn't bring their dogs there. So of course it is the wildlife that has to suffer. And this Poth guys seems like a idiot. trapping and killing the beavers, all the while peaching about coexiting with wildlife.

Last edited by NoahGrey; July 15th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...484/story.html

they may not, according to this article....
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Seems like the Calgary article....is trying to sugarcoat it...by using a more "friendly" word. In this case "removed", instead of killing.
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Kill the perpetrator is all they can think of,no matter if a wild animal just tried to protect himself and his family.
It just makes me heartsick,the Beavers stay together as a family,even as the babies grow up,what right does anybody have to kill them
I am sorry for the dog dying,but it's again up to the owner to make sure,a dog does not get in any danger.
Some conservation-areafor whom,the dogs or the Beavers..
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Some conservation-areafor whom,the dogs or the Beavers..
Great point Chico2!
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Apparently some landowner has offered to relocate the Beavers to his property,but if they cannot be caught they'll be inhumanely killed
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Apparently some landowner has offered to relocate the Beavers to his property,but if they cannot be caught they'll be inhumanely killed
I wish people could go up there and protest this. Unfortunately to protest, one requires a permit... - like that is going to happen.

Bless this landowner.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../14789121.html

Now this

Marauding beaver shot dead in Red Deer park
By DAVE DORMER, QMI Agency

CALGARY - Red Deer police are now investigating after someone shot and killed a beaver in a city park, in an area where several dogs have been attacked by a marauding rodent.

A canoeist found the beaver - believed to be three or four-years-old - in the water near Three Mile Bend Recreation Area, in the city north of Calgary, said parks superintendent Trevor Poth.

"It was killed by a gunshot," he said. "We're just shocked and dismayed anyone would discharge a firearm within the city limits."

Beavers have been blamed for a half-dozen attacks on dogs in that area - one which saw a Husky killed - and police are looking into the possibility someone was looking for revenge.

"It does lead one to speculate that but we don't want to confine our thoughts," said RCMP Cpl. Kathe DeHeer. "But at this point in time we can't say whether it's associated to that."

Most disturbing in this case, said DeHeer, is the fact a firearm was used.

"For one thing, it is a public park," she said.

"This could be a very dangerous situation when you have a person discharging a firearm, if they miss the target, the bullet keeps going on until it hits somebody or something else.

Poth said city officials are frustrated by the senseless killing because they were planning to move the colony of beavers.

"We felt we had a good handle on the situation and were making good strides to move forward in a positive way so for us, it's a double whammy.

"The work we invested, someone has turned around and decided to take action into their own hands."

Poth said there is one dam in the area, which is likely home to between five and 12 beavers.

dave.dormer@sunmedia.ca

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey