Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 29th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Cat has a cold even though vaccinated?

Hello all! I adopted my cat, Willow, from the SPCA in December 2007 and she suffered a URI as soon as I got her home. She was vaccinated against URI soon after that, but now she is suffering through some kind of cold. Is that possible? I suppose like human flu vaccines the vaccination is only for some strains and not all?

She's not an outdoor cat and she's my only cat, how could she have gotten a cold? My boyfriend spent some time with other cats at someone else's house recently, could he have brought it home somehow?

So far, she's sneezing a bunch and seems more sleepy than usual, but is eating and drinking normally.

Should I just wait it out?
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your kitty being sick.

I don't know much about URI's but I seem to recall reading something that said cat's can catch colds from us.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

yep ure cat can have a cold even tho its vaccinated.

You can try giving it L-Lysine (from the vet or from the health food store/pharmacy..just open the capsule and put the powder in her food)...it helps fight the cold.

My vet recommends actually giving my cat who has recurring URI plain chicken soup (without onions or garlic or anything). Its warm and gets fluid into them.

It might be the herpes virus (not the same one as in humans), which means your cat may be prone to getting the cold throughout its life when stressed. The virus lays dormant and never really goes away. My cat gets the sniffles here and there but other than that he's perfectly healthy

She can get the hold from humans for sure (zoonotic diseases), but I would think she maybe already had it in her system.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
chronically insane.

The majority of shelter cats get URI's regardless of vaccination. The FVRCP vaccine really mostly protects against the really seriously and deadly stuff such as panleuk.

To break it down
F= Feline
V= Virus (I think?)
R= Rhinotracheitis
C= Calici (and sometimes Calci which are two different things but usually in the same vaccine)
P= Panleukopenia

but the virus that causes the majority of feline upper respiratory infections would be the herpes simplex virus (no current common vaccine) and i think calci virus.

It's kinda confusing because alot of the words look or sound the same. Also chlamydia in cats is another URI thing (not an STD!) which may or may not be included in the vaccination.

In short, the vaccine is generally 99% effective in preventing panleuk which is by far the worst, and effective at atleast preventing severe URI's. But yes, just like with the human flu vaccines the vaccine is not 100% effective and there are tons of different strains. With so many animals being in one building disease can spread fast.