Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old April 25th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Red face My Cat Likes Sucking Earlobes

In fact she's sucking my earlobe right now. Um, is this OK? It seems to me it doesn't hurt anyone so I just let her do it....plus that keeps her off the keyboard.

I am a first time new mom so I have lots of questions...

Any thoughts on the earlobe sucking? Lately it's been accompanied by a lot of nuzzling on my ear and face and neck.

How often do you scoop? How often do you overhaul the box? So far my nose knows...and its about every week for the overhaul and every day for the scooping.

How do you keep them off the dinner table and kitchen counter?

How do you decide on a good vet?

Also how do you pick a good name? We call her Kitty Cat, Honey, Sweety, Bunny and Bunny Rabbit.
Old April 25th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

HI!
Is this an adult cat or a kitten? If you don't mind her sucking your earlobe, then there's no problem! Cats and kittens often suck blankets, hair,earlobes etc.if they have been taken from their mothers too soon. It comforts them and is similar to a child sucking his thumb. She probably drools and purrs too while doing this?

If you want her to stop this, make a sharp sound when she does, like "AH AH!!" then pet or play with her when she stops.

The box needs to be scooped every day, and changed completely when the litter is too soiled or gets low. If you can smell it, it needs cleaning!

Keep cats off the counter by not leaving food around. If the cat is already in the habit of jumping on the counter or table, get some double-sided tape and put a few strips on the counter. Cats HATE anything sticking to their feet, and this should discourage her after a few tries. If there is nothing to eat, and sticky stuff on her feet, she'll give it up.

To find a good vet, ask around to pet-owning friends or co-workers for references. Is your cat spayed?

As to a name, pick one and use it every time you call her to eat, or play or to get treats, and she'll learn it.
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:07 PM

She is approximately 6 months. I really don't mind, I just want to make sure its not bad for her. She used to suck on my boyfriend's earlobe too but now she seems to prefer mine. Yep, there is some drool and lots of purring. Although I think she felt asleep on my ear last night. LOL. All of a sudden the purring stopped and then she twitched and started up again.

So far my scooping and changing is consistent with what you suggested. I'm allergic to cats and I've noticed the more meticulously cat owners take care of the box, the better it is on my allergies. So its in my own best interest to be pretty diligent.

Well, it looks like her name will be Kitty Cat since that's what she responds to. My family has already taken to the nickname KC.
Old April 25th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Nice to read about a caring owner,ear-lobe sucking,that's sooo cute
Your'e also allergic to cats,well,it just goes to show,you can live with cats and allergies,no need to dump them in a shelter,like some morons do...
At our HS that is the most common excuse
Good Luck with Kitty-cat(very imaginative name )!!!
Old April 25th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

My 7 month old kitten loves to suck on my finger...He also has his own fleese blanket that he sucks on.It's a throw-fleese one.He actually carries(drags) it around...It's so cute..

Do you have a pic you can post of her?

I actually like the name KC.

As for the allergies,we have heard it so many times of people getting rid of their cat/kitten because of it....You need to stay on this site so you can be our back up....
Old April 25th, 2004, 04:41 PM

KC Good old Miami name

KC is a name with a lot of history.

KC and the Sunshine Boys

Harry Wayne Casey (known as KC for short) formed the Sunshine band in 1973 in Miama, Fla. He is so famous he has his own star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

Your cat is already famous.......

and I am a KC fan
Old April 25th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I remember KC and the Sunshine Band

It was one of the first 45's I bought when I was 6/7 years old at a garage sell on my street LOL
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I liked KC and the Sunshine Band I was also 6/7,well maybe a few years older
Kitty-Cat is a cute name...there is a beautiful longhaired Tabby a few houses away from me,his name is Kitty also very original
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:16 PM

Unhappy

I just wanted to stick up for some of us with allergies! I know ome people can tolerate their allergen(whether it be cats, dogs, or peanuts...). Some just sneeze a lot, and all they have to do is take an allergy medication of some sort to stop the symptoms. On the other hand, being anaphylactic(basically means deathly allergic... throat closes up and breathing stops, as well as body swelling when you come in contact with your allergen) to nuts and peanuts myself, I know where some people are coming from. Not to say that all people that "dump" their cats are doing it because they are seriously allergic to them, but it is a logical reason for getting rid of one! Don't bash anyone for saying their allergic. That's why I have an outdoor cat and dog, as I have family members who are allergic! I still love them every bit as much, and they get a ton of attention, but they remain outside. I have a family history of allergies, and my mother used to run the Peterborough chapter of the Allergy/Asthma Information Association (AAIA). So I have quite a bit of experience with allergies, and I hate to see people being bashed because they have allergies and need to find another home for their pets. It's better that they take them to the Humane Society than dispose of them otherwise, like just letting them go somewhere or shooting them!! Please at least think about this. For anyone that would like to talk more about allergies, feel free to email me at horsecrazy100@hotmail.com. I'm glad to talk to anyone!
Old April 26th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescuekitty,I hear you,but why get a cat to begin with if you have allergies I am sure someone severly allergic to cats must know that beforehand.
Old April 26th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a crush on KC.....

Here is a pic of Casper sucking his blankie..

I agree anita.Also why get a dog?I'm sorry,but it bothers me when people have allergies and the pets are stuck outside.Pets are part of the family.That also means being inside with the family.Either curled up by your feet,or hogging the bed...LOL
Attached Images

Old April 26th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Unhappy

'but they remain outside...'

sigh

Not mine

Love from a distance.... I could never do and it's not fair to them.
I too as Anita pointed out why get a pet if you or someone else has an allergy that causes the pet to have a less enjoyable life outside of the family?

If you love them but your family has allergies you can always volunteer at a shelter giving love to those that need it!

If your family member or yourself is 'that' allergic, what do you do after you hold and stroke your cat and play with him/her? Do you go indoors remove and wash your clothing and shower immediately?

Anyone with a serious allergy as you have pointed out would be immediately affected by the dander that you have brought in on you.

To me it's selfish and to think you say you have 'more' knowledge then most people because of the association to your mother who ran an allergy awareness program - is even moreso baffling.

Sure you may love your pets but someone else could love them more and share with them the things they deserve to have, not just look at through a door or a window and wish for!! I wonder if they understand the allergy situation, of it they just figure they're not loved enough to be allowed in the family home.

The more I go on about it the more t'd off I get!
Attached Images

Old April 26th, 2004, 09:57 PM

First of all, many people develop allergies after being exposed to the allergen...
Second of all, my animals have very happy lives and would much rather be running around outside than being locked up inside. I don't care whether you agree with me. Many animals live outside and are happy that way. We live on a farm and have lots of room for them to run and play... I would never call it "love from a distance!" We love them and spend lots of time with them. So do you then think that barn animals have a cruel life because they do not live in the house? I love my horse, donkey and goat just as much as my other animals, but they're not coming in the house either!
Thirdly, After cuddling with the animals and playing with them, I do come in and wash up and change my clothes. Every animal deserves a loving home, and we can give them just that. Whether or not you agree with the fact that they live outdoors, that's fine. I'm not here to prove myself. I feel they are happier that way, and so does anyone who's ever met my dog. He's a Springer Spaniel and very high strung, even at 10 years old. He would not do well as an indoor dog anyway....
I didn't say I have more knowledge than other people, but living with a serious allergy and teaching others about their allergies most of my life has led me to a great deal of knowledge... Not that I may be any more knowledgable than any of you
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescuekitty,you are more knowledgable than me about allergies,I don't have any allergies that I know of.As a matter of fact I've never heard of so many people being allergic to this and that as in Canada,I usually call it a Canadian desease. Before we came to Canada I very rarely heard of anyone with allergies,but maybe it's all the pollution we now have in the air.
Maybe your cat/dog are happy outside,but I bet they would like to curl up in a warm bed with you,just like my cats do every night,that's where they belong,they are very important family members and it's a good thing we have a King-size bed or hubbie would be on the floor
Awwww Sadie,nite,nite
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

They don't have the option to speak to you and tell you that they'd rather be indoors though do they.

So your springer is active...your point is? Leaving them to exercise on their own w/o you participating in play and fetch is what makes a dog hyper indoor.

Your correlation between domesticated animals (cats/dogs) in comparison to barn yard animals (donkeys/goats/horses) is ridiculous.

So just explain to me one thing....why do you have them to begin with?
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
So just explain to me one thing....why do you have them to begin with?
Luba, if you ever get the answer to that, please let me know. It's something that puzzles me every time I see dogs around here (that people deliberately went and got) kept in garages, pens, or chained outside.

What are the thought processes?...I can only conclude it must be something like this:

"Okay, I'm allergic to dogs/have new hardwood floors/can't stand the hair/don't believe in dogs in the house/don't want them on the furniture/am too lazy to train one/can't afford a vet so I think I'll go get a dog!"(??)

If I didn't want a dog around, I certainly wouldn't go and get one!
Old April 27th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Well if you want a story about backyard dogs that went bad, I've got one.
When I first moved into this basement suite, the guy upstairs got two German Shepherds. They ended up being in the fenced in backyard, but one of them was a bit neurotic to begin with and barked all day and all night. The other was relatively quiet. They did get their walks every day, and had a back room on the house with food and water to go to when they were wanting shelter. For some reason though, they wouldn't go in there, and given Vancouver weather they would just lie about in the backyard in mud puddles all day long. Could never understand that one.
Anyhoo, they barked and barked. I didn't have much to do with them because they weren't my dogs, and I wasn't interested in taking them on as a project because I just didnt have time at the time. Finally it became a neighbourhood war, and everyone hated the house I live in because of the barking dogs. The woman next door called animal control a number of times, but they would come over and leave because the dogs had shelter and food and water if they chose to use it.
So, this went on for quite a while. I had people showing up at my basement suite door at 6:30 in the morning yelling at me because the dogs were barking. I freaked on one of them and told them they weren't my dogs. I'm a little surly first thing in the morning.
Anyhoo, it eventually got so big that it hit the local community newspaper with a full page article. One day I got home, and the guy upstairs said that one of the local tv stations showed up and filmed a segment!
Eventually the owner got taken to court over noise violations, and the dogs ended up on a farm out in the country where I understand they are quite happy.
Happy ending, but certainly one of the nastiest years of my life.
Bob will never be a backyard dog, that's all I can say.
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so tired of people saying their dog likes living outdoors,or it's in their breed.My sister is on a farm with 3 Huskies and a Border Collie.Yes they love the outdoors,but not to live there 24/7...My 2 GSD's LOVE the outdoors.But they also love to hog the bed at night.My step-father has allergies.But guess what,they have a little dog and a cat.And he manages just fine.It's called medication.

And I have to agree with Luba.It is ridiculous to compare domestic animals to barn animals.
Old April 27th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

My story,I told a while ago about Crystal,the Great Dane/Husky mix who belonged to a FORMER friend of mine.She was outside 24/7 year around even in -25C,she had a makeshift-shelter,but it certainly never got warm.
If she did get to her food quick enough,the mice would eat it.
My then friend,told me the VET said she should be outside since she is part Husky,which is BS.
I argued until I was blue for this poor dog,but there was no way she would ever be let into the house,not even the basement,she was according to them dirty and they would not even touch her.
I contacted HS but like they always say,all that is required is food and shelter.
Well,my former friend could not wait to get rid of her and when she got some kind of sore on her neck,I discovered it because I cuddled her,instead of treating her they had her put down a 7yrs old.
Here's a picture of Crystal,does she look like a Husky to anyone?
Attached Images

Old April 27th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

oops,sorry about the crooked large pic!!
Old April 27th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

What a sweetie...And those sad puppy dog eyes...

Is that a lump on her neck or just the pic?

Nope,no husky in her.
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:17 PM

There's not a lick of Husky in that dog. Just my opinion. They had the dog put down because of a lump? Just a question, but what the hell did they get the dog for in the first place. They thought it was dirty? If you lived in a freaking box outside 24/7, with mice eating your food with nobody touching you or talking to you, you'd be dirty too! My opinion, if you couldn't live in the conditions your dog is living in, you shouldn't have a dog. Try it, I have. I got into Bob's kennel one time to see what it was like. He just stared at me like I was a weirdo. Kind of reminded me of the old days hiding in the box the TV came in when I was a kid. Curled up on his bed one day too just for kicks. Not bad. A little sparse in the centre, but that's because he seems to push all the padding to the outside. He likes it that way I guess. Anyhoo, you should have to prove to the vet that you have a valid/verifiable reason to put a dog down. I suppose if that was the case, you'd just find more dogs wandering aimlessly on country roads.
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

No Mona,it's the picture..she had what seemed to be a bug-bite on her neck and it got infected,could probably easily have been cured.
I live about two hours away from them and when she called me and said Crystal had a braintumor and had to be put down,I knew she was lying...and I do not need friends like that.In a way it was a relief to me Crystal did not have to spend any more cold nights outside alone,but I am sure she would have loved a nice warm bed.
Bob,the dog belonged to her husband and when they got married the dog was put outside and the husband did not care too much.
I would say,don't like my dog,no marriage!!!!
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sweet Crystal

cropped for ya

The husband shoulda been the one put outside!!!
Attached Images

Old April 27th, 2004, 05:40 PM

I'm not here to argue... I know we love our animals, and we take good care of the ones we have. If you don't agree with it, so be it... I'm not here to prove myself to you. My animals are happy the way they are... In fact, when we are at my cottage and my dog comes in at night, he whines and wimpers and barks to get back out... He much prefers being outdoors! But I'm apparently in the wrong according to all of you, so I'll just keep my mouth shut. When I found this board, I thought it would be a nice place to chat with other animal lovers. As it turns out, most of you are so bent on proving you are the only right ones that it's not nice or enjoyable at all... Sorry for interrupting your day, as you obviously think I'm a piece of "scum" by the way you are telling me things. My animals are loved. And I don't see the difference between the goat living in the barn and the dog living outside with her... They are both well loved and well taken care of, have shelter to get out of the elements and food and water available to them. I am not like you friend, Chico, who left their dog outside and thought she was "dirty". We take good care of our animals, spend lots of time with them, and love them. Just because they don't live in a human "house" does not mean they don't consider their house a home...
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a better look at her in the one Luba fixed.Something is just not right by her neck on the left side.She is over weight or something.And has bumps on her leg...Poor baby....I love Great Danes.My aunt raised 5 on her farm.Along with a Newfie and a St.Bernard

Yeah,something tells me the new wifey didn't want her in the house.

Of course the dogs going to whine.All the dog knows is to be outside.

How can they call a house a home if they are not IN the home?

Question for you.At what age did your dog start living outside?

Sorry,but we think our pets should be part of the family.That means laying by our feet while we watch t.v...Or laying beside us while we are reading or on the computer.And us looking down at them while they nap.THAT is being part of the family in my eyes.
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Quote:
when we are at my cottage and my dog comes in at night

I guess the allergies just POOF go away at the cottage?
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:22 PM

Well, regardless, can we not just make a truce, and think that he is happier outside... He lived outside before we got him at three months old, and has lived outside ever since.. Dogs and cats originated outside....
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:25 PM

No, they don't go away, but it's a lot easier to clean up the hair and dander... The floors are painted wood, not carpet like home. And usually the person with the allergies stays home...
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So your dog stays outside at home because you have carpeting?

(smh)

Somebody ever suggest to you with your unlimited amount of access and knowledge to remove the carpeting?

3 mons old living outside and this wasn't enough for you to say, hey this dog needs a better life.