Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM

My cat hasn't pooped in 2 days

My husband and I recently lost two cats and it has taken us a little while to be ready for another cat. Last week we finally decided it was time and we adopted Zoe. Zoe is a 1 year old long haired cat. We had her spayed and brought her home last Thursday. She did great for the first few days, but now she hasn't pooped since Monday (it's Wednesday). She threw up a few days ago, but she is still eating and drinking. We called the vet and they suggested that she might have a hairball that is stuck. Yesterday we gave her the hairball medicine that comes in a tube (which she hates) and some pumpkin (which she loves). Still no poop. After what happened with our last two I am super paranoid and trying to resist the urge to overreact. How long do I give the treatment to work before rushing her to the vet? Please help.
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear about your other 2 kitties

I would be taking her in today! Two days is too long, especially if there is vomiting involved.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Having to deal with this myself, do see a vet. It may save you an enormous vet bill in the future.
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:03 PM

I would take her in to the vet for some meds, it will be a lot cheaper, if they work, than waiting and taking her in for an enema. Easier on her, too.
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
I would take her in to the vet for some meds, it will be a lot cheaper, if they work, than waiting and taking her in for an enema. Easier on her, too.
Indeed...I learnt the hard way....and it cost a heck of alot more...and worse..the cat endured alot more stress and discomfort.
Great advice.
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:55 AM

I would also have to agree, the vet sounds like a very good option right now. But also, when my cat was clogged the vet said to try some dairy products in moderation as this can sometimes give cats diarrhea which obviously isn't a good thing either but if there is a blockage it could soften things up enough to push it out. It worked for me but obviously seeing the vet would be the best bet. Oh and just for the record I just gave her 1/4 cup of skim milk and a tsp or two of plain yogurt per day and within 4 or 5 days she had diarrhea and was unclogged so I stopped. Hopefully this helps and good luck!
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:22 AM

What goes in must come out.

Are you sure that she isn't pooping somewhere and you just have not found it?
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
What goes in must come out.
Not necessarily that easy for some cats. They may require some intervention. Mine has been 3 times at a clinic to help her relieve her discomfort due to impacted fecal matter.
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Thanks so much for all the encouragement and advice. We visited the vet last night and she was indeed constipated. He gave us some medicine and said if she didn't go by Friday we would need to bring her back for an enema. We brought her home and about 2 hours later she pooped! I've never been so glad to see poop. Anyway, I'm not totally convinced that it was enough, so we're keeping a close eye on her, but I feel much better. Thanks for all the support!
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBH View Post
Thanks so much for all the encouragement and advice. We visited the vet last night and she was indeed constipated. He gave us some medicine and said if she didn't go by Friday we would need to bring her back for an enema. We brought her home and about 2 hours later she pooped! I've never been so glad to see poop. Anyway, I'm not totally convinced that it was enough, so we're keeping a close eye on her, but I feel much better. Thanks for all the support!
I understand only too well about celebrating poop!
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

KBH,we all love a good poop
Sorry about your other two kitties,but I am Zoe finally pooped
Maybe she needs a change in diet?
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I understand only too well about celebrating poop!

Me too YEAH POOP....YEAH POOP!!!!!!!

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:21 PM

I'm happy to hear your kitty had a poop! In hospital and residential care, humans start receiving laxatives and stool softeners on day 2 if they haven't had a bowel movement, and on day 3 will get an enema. I would definitely not have let it go longer than that in your kitten. Stool retention can lead to build up of toxins, tears, infection, all kinds of bad things. Hopefully it was just the stress and the change of hormones for her, and all will be well now!
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:09 AM

We're doing okay, but she's still not pooping as much/often as I would like. I am thinking that a change in food might be necessary. Right now we are just feeding her hairball control MeowMix. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good high fiber cat food?
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
We're doing okay, but she's still not pooping as much/often as I would like. I am thinking that a change in food might be necessary. Right now we are just feeding her hairball control MeowMix. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good high fiber cat food?
The cost will be more...but there is a new prescription formula available from your vet called Royal Canin Medical diet.....Gastrointestinal FIBRE RESPONSE
Be sure it is the Fibre Response formula and not just the older FIBRE formula....it is newer and several people here have had excellent results from it, including myself.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

KBH,I believe MeowMix could be the problem,too much junk
If you can get her to eat canned,it's the better choice for any cat.
There are several different kinds,grain-free being the best,even Fancy Feast is better than MeowMix dry.
My cats like Wellness,Natural Balance canned and some others,here available only in Petfood stores,not grocerystores or departmentstores.
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM

We put our cat on Wellness, but I still occasionally have to keep an eye on her. When I see her appetite is off, or that shes straining in the litter box and or throwing up, I immediately give her the Lactulose syrup and Laxatone for a couple of days. My husband insists she needs more fiber, so we give her a little Frohms duck kibble once a day along with the Wellness.
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Lindapalm,I have a bag of Blue Buffalo dry,they get as a treat once daily,just a little since one of mine is kind'a hefty
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Right now we are just feeding her hairball control MeowMix. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good high fiber cat food?
She may not need high fibre food, which can actually cause constipation in some cats (fibre isn't natural to a cat's digestive system). But more importantly, she could probably use more moisture in her diet, so a switch to a good wet food is what I would recommend first. I'm of the opinion that the Gastrointestinal Fibre Response food should be a last resort in situations where absolutely nothing else has helped. The ingredients are pretty bad, so while you may improve the constipation issue (or maybe not, if extra fibre isn't the answer), you could also end up with diabetes, IBD, bladder/kidney issues, dental disease, etc.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:39 PM

Chico2, I'd like to try the Blue Buffalo, but I have to stick with the Frohms cause they are very tiny pieces. Hazel has half of her larynx closed, so she can't swallow chunks too big, and shes too dumb to chew them up into small pieces. I don't know if the Frohms helps with constipation, but my husband thinks so, so I give it to her to make him happy.
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Linda,actually the Blue Buffalo/for cats is small round thingysit is not something my cats eat by the bowl,rather it's a replacement for Temptations as a treat.
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:50 PM

I'll have to look into the Blue Buffalo and see if they sell it at our pet store, thanks.