Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM

More Cat/kitten questions

Hi all,

I know I've bugged many of you hear about my 2 cats not getting along. After we moved they started playing with each other a bit, and were tolerating each other quite well.

Over the past few weeks we've noticed Clover the kitten (almost 1 now) getting a bit more agressive with Pepper (3 years). She'll jump on her from the top of the couch and after pepper gets angry shell come swinging a bit while pepper hisses and backs away with her ears down. I find that this only happens when clover is really wild (first thing in the morning and when I come home after work). Other than that they do fine. Pepper still growls at her when she is in her way but they sleep in the same rooms, sleep with us at the same time and are not marking or screaming.

In my opinion, Clover is trying to play with pepper. Now that she is grown up, I think she sees gettig a reaction from pepper as fun. Pepper doesn't see it that way and I don't see them playig as much anymore. I'm just curious if this is just a maturity issue still taking place or if there is anything else.

Thanks all!
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Catlover2

Clover is still in the bratty teenager phase, and yes probably enjoying getting a rise out of Pepper. I think Clover should settle down in the next 6 months or so. I wouldn't worry about it as you say they get along well other wise. Clover just wants to play rougher than Pepper likes now and is bigger & stronger....same thing goes on in my home with my two. If it doesn't escalate beyond play times, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's getting more serious with Pepper being stressed because of it, you will have to intervene, but for now I think it is just "a maturity thing".
If it bothers you, redirect Clover with a stuffed mouse or foil/paper ball or something to distract her if she's bugging Pepper.
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, Clover has hit the teenage stage . She is bolder than when she was a kitten. In about 6 months she should settle down and behave.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Clover might bring the kitten back out in Pepper and then watch out!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:57 AM

I think as long as there is no hissing they are just playing. Now that Gizzy has come out of his shell more, Forest does his bored meow, starts licking Gizzy's head and then starts play-fighting with him. It looks like it gets really rough but mommy has to be brave and hope Gizzy will fight back and kick some Forest butt! lol
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Thanks everyone! I think it is Clovers way of trying to play with Pepper as well. Pepper does hiss though when she is getting chased. Sometimes she gets in defensive mode as I think she thinks the kitten is trying to hurt her. Clover will jump on top of couches and run after pepper while she walks by the couch, etc. For the most part they are just normal, but this seems to only occur at high energy states (morning before eating, and night before eating). Once food arrived no issues
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sweet Pea does hiss at Jasper during play, if she thinks Jasper is "winning" the play fight, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sounds like things are going great!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Sweet Pea does hiss at Jasper during play, if she thinks Jasper is "winning" the play fight, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sounds like things are going great!
Thanks! I worry sometimes as Pepper seems frightened. But she does chase Clover every once in a while herself. One thing that Clover does is that she stands on her feet quite a bit. I've never seen a cat be able to stand up for so long and she uses that a bit when fighting to get taller.

Thanks for your help!
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM

That would be the meerkat pose you are talking about Usually domestic cats can't do it very long but Bengals can do it as long as they want, it's cute!