Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Question:
I have a Siberian Husky who needs her nails clipped but she throws herself when we try to clip them. She came from a rescue so I don't have a lot of background on her (how she was treated).

Any suggestions to try and calm her so we can clip her nails?

Thanks Debbie

Answer:

Debbie,

You could find in the drugstore some homeopathic complex that would calm the anxiety of your dog. Each city has its own homeopathic distributor and brand. You should consult your local druggist or vet for a good suggestion. (If they know how to handle homeopathy)
The product should be given every day, for a few weeks before trying again to cut the nails of the dog.

You should consult your veterinarian anyway, sometimes it's best to let the vet trim a difficult dog's nails.

Paul Guindon dmv
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, Qc
514-334-7280
Old January 20th, 2003, 10:33 PM

also, another recommendation would be to get your dog used to
nightly massage times, where you relax the dog , give them a simple little massage behind the ears and neck. after they are
relaxed, massage their feet a little. get the dog used to you
touching them, and they will soon learn it's a good thing to get
massages and in time a manicure too!!! if possible, lay the dog
on a high surface(kitchen table) have someone hold a treat in a
tight fist by the dogs nose, to distract the dog, while you clip away. good luck
Old January 26th, 2003, 03:24 PM

i have the same problem with my dog - i have been making sure every day that i am rubbing her paws and getting her used to having her feet touched. i'll make sure i'm really happy and upbeat when i'm doing it and lots of praise.
the next step is actually taking out the clippers and touching them to her paws but no clipping yet. i'll just gently touch her paws with the clippers and say in a really cheery voice "good girl! goooood girl... " and then say "clip clip clip!" if this is going well you can actually pretend to clip the dogs nails. this gets her used to the clippers and calm down a little. my dog is reeeeally nervous about nail clipping, so i only do one at at time. ie, monday i will do one, tuesday i will do another, etc etc. if she acts up or starts to freak out, i just do the paw rubbing and pretend clipping, and that's it for that day. i have also heard another thing to try is to put a towel over the dog's head so they can't see what you're doing - this calms down some dogs although it hasn't really worked for me. hope this helps.
Old April 5th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Debbie,

I have an 85lb Rottie mix who is a big sweetie, but she absolutely won't let me trim her nails. She won't bite, but she won't stay still long enough for me to trim them.
I now just take her to the vet to have it done. My vet only charges $6 and my old vet only charged $7. It's definitely worth it to me to not be the cause of her stress. Also, I walk her on pavement for at least a mile a day to help keep them short.
Good luck!
Old April 11th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Unhappy

I have 2 chihuahuas who hate having their nails clipped. At first, ChiChi (blonde male chi) didn't mind until I clipped Baby's (mocha female chi) nails and she yelped. Now, he reacts the way she does (bites, squirms, etc.) so that I can't clip his nails either.

Why can't they be as calm as my cat, who practically sleeps through the trimmings I give him.

Unfortunately, the Chi's aren't very social dogs around strangers, so when I take them to the vets they nuzzle them and attempt to trim their claws but the dogs always go through what seems to be panic attacks (throw up, tear up, squirm, growl, etc.)

I'm so desperate for help. One of the technicians at the Vet's office told me about giving them some Benadryl to calm their nerves, but I'm concerned about this being an effective method. And if it's ok to give it to them, what type (children/adult) and how much?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you might be able to provide.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Lightbulb How can I calm my dog to clip her nails

Try clipping his/her nails when he/she is in a sound sleep....I tried this on my 12 week old pup and she doesn't even flinch:
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:58 PM

Um... you know it has been 5 years since this thread was originally posted?

Since then there have been dozens of threads about this subject...
Here are a few...
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....=cutting+nails

But it's good that you're getting your pup used to the cutting early.