Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old April 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Newbie @ BARF diet

So...I've been owned by samoyeds since 1988 and my better half has been nagging me to feed the dogs a barf diet for about 17 years. I found a wonderful butcher @ the farmer's market who sells meat/organ/veggies mix. I bought a couple of tubs and safe to say my sammy girls snarfed the stuff down like it was their last meal. That was one month ago. We haven't looked back. They get barf in the am and kibble in the pm. (we travel a fair bit) We suppliment with probiotics, seagreens, salmon or flax, or codliver oils. The senior girl (age 12) looks & acts much younger. She gets glucosamine, & yucca. People are amazed at her energy. We've tried bison, chicken, beef & lamb, & oh yes elk. Thanks for everyone's knowledge. I'm enjoying reading the posts.
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM

I just found out that my senior sammy with the wonderful results with Barf is not only allergic to chicken but TURKEY as well. She started scratching and licking her paws last night. :sad: Ah well. I guess it's red meat for her!!!
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Learning fast

Glad you found a nice supply, I got our first batch of 'mix' from the local meat packers ($30 for 50lbs) and together with pork riblets I think I may ahve found a cheap month of food. Slightly off topic, I am hearing of a few people using yucca extract, where did you get your information, are you using it for bad joints?
I am hoping to add it to Missy for her hips, she has Glucosamine and Chondrin + MSM but if there is something better that would be worth trying I'd give it a go.
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Congrats on the raw food find!!!
Rose is 12 and we go for 1 hr. walks everyday. She "walks" better when I give her glucosamine/condroitin & yucca. I suspect she has rheumatism as she is slow in the am but ambulates well when she gets going. The info on Yucca was in the March 2007 Whole Dog Journal. The article is Joint Decisions. Catchy title.