Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Thomas tested FIV+ Need your help/Ontario

Hi everyone, Not sure if this is the right place to post and if not I do appologise.. My Mother In Law Betty was feeding a beautiful stray cat she named Thomas for about a year. He would come each day for food, have a good sleep and a bite to eat..He would cuddle with her on the couch and then want out again. She had to move from her home as she is showing signs of dementia but was so upset to leave Thomas. Her 17yr old cat does not like him at all. She tried to have them live together but it was too upsetting for her to try and make it work. I stepped in and my vet agreed to neuter him, needle, deworm and deflea him for nothing. We made a donation though. He sadly tested FIV+ and now placeing him is going to be difficult. I have several rescue cats and one is a fighter and I am working with him on that. I also just adopted a partially disabled dog from Greece so my hands are full. I have called rescues and no one can help. I need to post him somewhere for adoption and wondered if there were any rescues in Ontario that would be willing to find him a home. In the US there are all kinds of FIV+ rescues but I have yet to find one here. <edited> He is healthy otherwise and is the sweetest boy. I will try and post a picture. Not a great one but will try and get more. If you can help me in anyway as time is running out. My vet agreed to 2 weeks to care for him while I find him a home and that time is almost up..I am just sick about it...Thank you so much for any help or suggestions..
Attached Images

Last edited by hazelrunpack; July 10th, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Mickey, my angel

Oh, what a difficult situation, especially with such a short time left.

Is there any way you can find anyone to keep him temporarily, or temporarily keep him separated from the others in your home to give you more time to find a suitable home or a rescue for him? I see you have your hands full already so can understand that this might be difficult.

I cannot help you but I do understand and sympathize with your situation. I live in Manitoba and my Punky is FIV positive and is living with two other cats who are negative. In this case it is a workable and low risk situation. They get along very well and there is never any aggression between them. They were already together before it was discovered that he was FIV positive.

Did you try Jazzpurr in Windsor Ontario? From what I read somewhere they do take FIV positive cats. If they have no space right now they might be able to offer you some other suggestions.

Here is their website:

http://www.adoptapet.com/adoption_rescue/69596.html

Hopefully some others will come on with some other suggestions.

that you can find a home for this deserving boy.

Edit: Just noticed Windsor, Ontario is about 5 hours away from where you live. Oh, well, I might still consider contacting them anyway. Maybe they know of some other places you can try.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; July 10th, 2011 at 12:59 PM.