Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 29th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

new pup needs toilet train help

Hi all,
my mother just got a georgous little sihtzu (had to spell it this way, as the new board does not allow me to type the word ****zu, that is funny) cross, he is just devine. anywho, he is 10 weeks and is pretty good at going to the toilet outside. he sleeps in the laundry/bathroom which is a large room. he does both toilet motions outside, he is taken out regularly and a couple of times after meals and is already asking to go out. about once a week he does a number 2's in the shower. i told mum to shut the shower door then and take him out more but now he does it at the shower screen door.mum is really good with dogs and takes him out often and spends all her time with him. i suggested he may just grow out of it with the consistant tioilet training and general obedience training. i just have no idea about this one, it has been so long since i had a puppy. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks all
Old April 29th, 2004, 06:25 PM

I wonder if there is an odour there that he connects to doing #2 with. Did your mom have a previous animal who went there?
Now when he does it outside the shower door is your mom having a shower while he's doing it, or is she not around?
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

now you mention it... the cat litter is in the laundry also.. could that be the problem??? and mum is not around when he does it. thanks
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

It sounds like the puppy is doing really well! However a 10 week old puppy should not be given so much freedom that he can go off and make mistakes in the house.

Each time he messes in the house, it's reinforced - just because it feels good!

When your mom can't watch him like a hawk, she should put him in a puppy pen or behind a gate, so he can't go off and mess in the house. It's better to prevent mistakes than try and fix them afterwards.
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Tell ma atleast the weather is better ...lol and shower stall thats funny!

I trained Sadie in the dead cold and snow storms of winter...and hence today she still needs the paper down for when we don't get her out in time...it's so much easier in the nicer weather. can get out faster, no big bulky clothing to have to put on, boots and hats and coats and mittens and scarf. By the time I'd get my boots on PUDDLE lol!
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:51 PM

No problem Melanie. But as L.R. said he is doing really well for 10 weeks.
It could be the litter or I also have a friend who has a male shihtzu and that is his way of punishing her. But he seems young to catch on that fast, but you never know. I have never done the locking away part for housetraining I found that to be very cruel, poor little pup new to the family, but thats just my opinion. Abbey is fully trained as of 3- 1/2 weeks ago. Not one accident, she goes to the door, it just takes time and consistencey and boom all of a sudden 1 day they catch on, just like that. Tell your mom to have patience but it will happen.
There are many different theories out there, but patience and consistency is the most valuable advice anyone can give. Sorry this seems long>
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor

a big thank you from myself, my mum amd her little boy max. i printed up your advice for her and she was really grateful. i think it was good for her to see that max is normal and still only a little thing so just needs time. she was very concerned about it, she really adores him, so a big thanks, you have helped make their realtionship a little easier. have a wonderful day
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:50 PM

You are so most welcome Melanie. Is your moms baby a little cuddle bunny as well? My little female is but my friends little male is a spunky little ****. Could be because she hasn't got him neutered yet?!