Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old November 16th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Bichon-Poo

Hi Everyone,
I am new at this, but I am interested in purchasing a Bichon-Poo for my 2 daughters for Christmas. I live in Mid Western Ontario. Does anyone have any idea where I may find this puppy in time for the holidays? Any suggestions welcome
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Look in rescues, since it is a mutt, a COE breeder would not breed them, Look in petfinder.ca. They should have a bunch close to what you are looking for.
You do realize that the dog will be your, not your childrens. You pay medical, food, spaying. Walking, and so on and so on. It is a horrible idea to by a pet for your kids unless you want one as bad. If not the dog will end up in a shelter.
Please consider rescuing. There are so many mutts needing homes.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Puppies should not be given as christmas presents. They are living breathing creatures, not toys, sweaters, or part of a gift basket. The whole family should be involved in the process of getting a pup. Do you even know if this mutt will be a match for your family's lifestyle? Have you or your daughters researched Bichon's or Poodles? Have you looked at the many mixed-breed pups available in shelters? How old are your daughters?
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Thanks for your concerns...
I realize the value of a dog in a family home. We have had a dog for many years (Eskimo Spitz), unfortunately she has passed on a little more than 2 years ago. We are finally ready to welcome a new dog to our family. I thought Christmas time would be a special time to make this happen. We are all fully aware of the responsibilities that go along with providing a good home to a puppy.
I have looked into shelters, but have had no luck. I was hoping someone reading this forum could help me.
Thank you for your concerns. Oh my daughters are 17 and 11.
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I doubt that any of the members here could help you find a breeder of such a dog unless there is a puppy mill being investigated right now. If you read the forum some, you will see that a majority of the members here are involved in rescue in some way, shape, or form and would NEVER recommend to someone that they find a "breeder" of a designer mutt to buy a puppy from.

Both poodles and bichons have some serious genetic health issues that should be tested for before the adults are used for breeding. People who breed two breeds together to make a designer mix is looking to take your money and couldn't care less if the pup is healthy in a month much less years down the road.

What we are trying to tell you, in the nicest way possible, is that to buy a designer breed puppy is to support a puppy mill. To rescue a mutt that may or may not be a bichon-poo is to save a life. I wonder which your daughters would prefer?
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:45 PM

WOW tough crowd,

As I stated in my earlier post I have checked shelters, thats where we found our last dog and we gave her a great home for 8 years, until she died. I would love to rescue a dog again, The dog has to fit in my family and our lifestyle however.
I have NOT asked for the name of a puppy mill or a breeder of hybrid dogs as implied by your response. I asked if anyone knew where I could locate a bichon-poo. I never once said I was opposed to purchasing a puppy from adopt a pet or pet rescue.

Obviously new members are not welcome in this forum.

My quest for a new furry family member will continue....but not here.
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Aside from checking shelters, have you looked on Petfinder.com? They may have the pooch you are looking for.

Please do not turn your back on this forum. It really is a wonderful resource for petowners and petlovers. I've learned a lot from reading other posts and have had help with a few "pooch" issues of my own. There are a lot of really knowledgable people here that are willing to help.

I wish you the best of luck in finding the perfect fit for your family.
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry if I misunderstood, but most people looking to purchase a puppy of a specific breed or mix are looking for a breeder.

So, my next question would be - would any similar small mix work?
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Here is a link that changes daily. http://www.classifiedextra.ca/search97cgi/s97_cgi
Good luck with your search, and be wise about where the pup comes from.

Ebony - miniature schnauzer
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Tee34
I tried to send you a pm, but you are not accepting them.

I know of a rescue who gets the "rejects" from a bichon/poodle designer breeder.
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

We do welcome new ppl here with enthusiasm - tho I admit I sometimes miss someone's intro but not yours. Can I ask why tyou want a Bischon-Poo and not a Bishon? Have you researched these hybrid trendy "mutts". I do not know what they look like tho I have a neighbour who has a wonderful bichon and I myself shared 17 yrs of my life with much beloved poodle. Why would you not search for one of those breeds, both wonderful dogs whose pedigree and history can be so much more easily verified than than a Bichon-Poo. If you've done the research, you must know there is no better reason for obtaining a hybrid and often the prices are ridiculous and they can not be regsitered,. This is why ppl are assuming you want a rescue or unscrupulous (even if sometimes well meaning) breeder who sells the hybrid designer dogs.

We are a tough crowd I suppose but it is only because we love animals and advocate for them and do not want to see any animal or person taken in by some of the claims made of the new designers breeds. (Speaking for myself anyway). I see labradoodles being sold for prices far above any tyical breeders of labs would charge and that is not fair to you or to the dog, even if they are well cared for.

If you have thoroughly studied this issue and sincerly just like the "look" of the Bichon-poo, I am certain you can find them in rescues rather than paying some horrendous fee. And, you would be saving a life. You will not get a better puppy if you purchase a bichon-poo from a breeder.

Here are some bicho poodle mixes seeking homes: (Note that rescues will not call these lovable pooches bichon-poos - it is not a recognized breed and there is nothing at all wrong with being a mix.)

Marshamallow http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=5381646

Monty http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=5341102
Hamilton http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=5067077
Speedy http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=4841560

I especially like Hamilton

and Marshmallow

There are many others on Petfinder. Good luck finding a dog.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76
Puppies should not be given as christmas presents.
I have to agree with this.And my reason being is that christmas is a busy time for families.All the hustle and bustle.Doing some traveling to other family members homes.It gets way to busy,and it would be way to much for a new pup.May I suggest maybe getting one after Christmas when all the hustle and bustle is all over with?

Since I am thinking you want to adopt,not buy this breed of pup,have you looked into a breed rescue?.What area are you in and how far are you willing to travel?

Try looking at petfinders...They have many mixed breeds listed there..

Does it have to be this mix?What about either breed?You can try looking for either breed in a rescue.Or once agin searching petfinders.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:20 PM

I think everybody is "tough" on you because bichon-poos sound off alarm bells here. No reputable breeders would breed them, so the only place to get one with a clear conscience is from a rescue.

Can I ask why you settled on a bichon-poo and not a bichon, or a poodle or a shih tzu or any of the other small, white breeds?

If ever you do decide to get a dog from a breeder, please come back and ask for info on how to find a good breeder. Some of the people here (like mona- sorry mona...) are very knowledgeable about breeders and have a lot to offer that can save you tons of trouble and misery later on.
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Bichon-poo

Yesterday on Live with Regis and Kelly they had an entire segment on these "designer dogs".

Regis said something to the effect of "years ago we called them mutts." I just wondered if anyone had seen that and what they thought.

Cyberkitten I think I'm half in love with Hamilton. What a cutie !!! After the new year I'm going to call the rescue agency where I got Joey. I think my husband might like a bigger "manly man" dog this time. LOL !! He's known as the guy with the foofie dog.

Tee, good luck with your search. It sounds as though you are heading into it with your eyes wide open. And your girls are certainly old enough to be responsible with a pet.

Prin mentioned shih-tzus and I have to say that we hadn't considered that breed before we got Joey. But now I think that they are wonderful. There's an awful lot of dog, and a whole lot of personality in a small package !
Old November 17th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Designer dogs = mutts for profit. That's my view on it, but I don't want to hijack the thread. I think there's actually another thread somewhere talking about regis and their moronic statements...

You definitely don't need a designer mutt to have a small, healthy dog with a load of personality.
Old November 17th, 2005, 06:29 PM

I think she's gone....

Ebony - miniature schnauzer