Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 16th, 2004, 01:23 PM

Dog with allergies

HI - this is my first time here, but it looks like a great site and forum so far!
I have a beagle mix named Bailey we recently adopted- she is 8 mo old.
since we got her she has been scratching and biting alot eventhough the vet sees no sign of fleas. 2 nights ago she suddenly broke out in hives. we gave her benadryl and got her to the vet in the morning. they assumed a reaction to the wormer she had had the day before and changed to a new one. (she has not taken the new one) the hives went away and we continued the benadryl, and last night she again broke out in hives! the benadryl seems to help, as they are mostly gone now, but I am trying to find out what is causing! my ideas are possibly the margarine she had the meds with both days or possible grass ...... any ideas to help us determine the cause?? her fur is getting very thin in places with all the itching.
Thanks so much!

Kari
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi and welcome to the board!

There are so many things that can cause this reaction - anything from her food to chemicals on the grass to soap used to wash any blankets she sleeps on to seasonal allergies.

Where are the hives appearing? All over, or just on certain areas?
What kind of food is she getting?
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:52 PM

thanks so much for your quick reply - the hives are appearing everywhere: leags, sides, back, tummy, head and muzzle....... she is eating Ol'Roy high performance formula food (pertty inexpensive food, but has worked well with ouir other dog and had not had atleast the hives in the firs couple weeks) I am on a tight budget, so have resisted getting the expensive foods- but maybe I need to try something.....?
I only wash our things in All free and clear allergen reducer detergent becasue my son and I are allergic to many things (ironic, huh?)
there are so many possibilites for allergens, so Im trying to narrow down the most likely causes ;-)
does this info help at all??
Old June 16th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Ol' Roy is on the bottom of the food line..generic, cheap WalMart brand.
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:02 PM

I know- I guess Im a bad, bad mommy........ it was actually recomended by a breeder so I gave it a try because I liked the price. It was fine with our older dog. Im ready to try something new, any recomendations for some good food hopefully without breaking the bank?
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to you and your fur babies

Well if she has been this way since you got her,then I highly doubt that it's being caused by the dewormer.

I take it this was not much of a breeder....All the licenced responsible breeders I know would never recomend Ol'Roy.

There are many premium brand dog foods.

Wellness
Innova
Canidea
Chicken Soup for the pet lovers Soul
Nutro

Prices are different from place to place.

Where are you located?
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:26 PM

I am in western washington (state) in general are prices for the premium foods better in stores like Target, etc or pet stores or...? I havetn checked around much, so I guess I need to do that. I dont know why a breeder would recomend that food, but my older dog has always been happy and healthy and had a nice coat on it so I didnt question....... but now its time to switch to something good
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Premium brands are found at pet food supply stores.At least the ones I have listed.

Just right the ones I listed down,then got to different pet food supply stores.Then you will be able to see the price differences.

I have my 2 GSD's on Eagle Pack Holistic.

Just remember when switching,do it gradually..Mix the new with the old...More old then new..Then gradually less of the old.

Also,the first 4-5 ingredients in the food should not contain corn.
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:38 PM

hi im also on a tight budget if you have a family doller store near they have BENEFUL BY PURINA for $4 a bag (4lb) and my vet says its a good choice and my dogs love it good luck
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Thanks for your help Mona- i guess I was thinking of Iams and Eukanuba that I have also seen at Target, etc....... are they not as good?
I have heard there are foods that can help dogs with allergies - any idea what specific ones these are?
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesstarbright
hi im also on a tight budget if you have a family doller store near they have BENEFUL BY PURINA for $4 a bag (4lb) and my vet says its a good choice and my dogs love it good luck
Purina is crap...Sorry to say.....Read the ingredients...

Kari,I think I may have a link to them somewhere...I will look for it....
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog was eating science diet for sensitive skin,cause he would constantly bite at skin,i came here was told that food is no good,put him on nutro he is now eating solid gold,hasnt bitten at skin since...............
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

P.S. And believe me i am broke myself,but i figure if i eat chef boy ardee,he can eat the good stuff,he's worth it
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
Purina is crap...Sorry to say.....Read the ingredients...

Kari,I think I may have a link to them somewhere...I will look for it....
mona you seem to know good food for dogs but why is purina crap and why is corn bad and why hasnt my vet told me this ? thanks
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Stay away from Iams....

http://www.iamscruelty.com/iams.asp

I had my previous GSD on Eukanuba....It's not the best.
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Thanks Heidi (and i totally agree )
is that "solid gold" a type of nutro? I have to get the kids and get to work- but I am going to go look tomorrow.....
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:55 PM

thanks mona- I hadnt heard taht aobut Iams! I guess I am really out of the loop
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesstarbright
mona you seem to know good food for dogs but why is purina crap and why is corn bad and why hasnt my vet told me this ? thanks
Have you read the back and seen the ingredients in the Purina foods?
Corn is the number one cause of allergies in dogs.

Like I have said,the first 4-5 ingredients in food should not be corn.

As for vets.I'm sorry to say but nutrition was not on their to learn list.Vets of all people see dogs and cats with allergies to food.They should know that corn is the cause in most pets.

Take a look at this.

http://www.megapetfood.com/page/page/656609.htm
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Is corn bad for cats as well?

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
Have you read the back and seen the ingredients in the Purina foods?
Corn is the number one cause of allergies in dogs.

Like I have said,the first 4-5 ingredients in food should not be corn.

As for vets.I'm sorry to say but nutrition was not on their to learn list.Vets of all people see dogs and cats with allergies to food.They should know that corn is the cause in most pets.

Take a look at this.

http://www.megapetfood.com/page/page/656609.htm
wow i see now thanks
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
if you have a family doller store near they have BENEFUL BY PURINA for $4 a bag (4lb)
YOU FEED YOUR DOG DOLLAR STORE FOOD???
Sorry, but I just had to say that. I'm glad you know better now and I'm sure you'll switch your dog's food.
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

There are not too many foods that are WORSE or cheaper than Ol' Roy. If the "breeder" feeds this, I'm afraid this breeder is not good.

This could very well be the cause of your dog's problems.

Please give him better food, and continue to feed for at least 2 months to see if the problem resolves itself.

There are many foods that are good. Solid Gold is one of them.

Quote:
if you have a family doller store near they have BENEFUL BY PURINA for $4 a bag (4lb)
In addition to this being crappy junk food, foodstuffs at dollar stores is often way past the expiry date.

If someone cannot afford to feed their pet properly, or get it adequate medical care, I question why that person would have a pet at all.
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,this goes for cats too.
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled
YOU FEED YOUR DOG DOLLAR STORE FOOD???
Sorry, but I just had to say that. I'm glad you know better now and I'm sure you'll switch your dog's food.
No spoiled i dont feed my pets dollar store food you can also get it any place its just happens to be cheaper there
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

The brand name is solid gold,i feed him [gsd]huchenflaken lamb for adult dogs,great stuff............
Old June 16th, 2004, 11:08 PM

Thanks everyone-
Lucky Rescue: we did not get this dog from the breeder who said that food - she was adopted from the humane society. our other dog was already eating that when we brought her home- I know not a good choice anyway, but he was healthy and good looking, so unfortunately we didnt think much about it - maybe she is jsut more sensitive that him now I know better, and am goign tomorrow to get some good food!
one thing taht confuses me though, is that today she had been fine and once again broke out in hives this evening before she had even eaten anything! which makes me think its not the food (although I am changing it anyway ) I kept her inside today and only took her for walks instead of letting her play in the yard because the vet said it was likely grass or something. this sounds ridiculous, but is it possible for dogs to be allergic to cats?? the only thing she had been around was the kittens who were crawling on her! I am so confused and frustrated by this!
Thanks again for all your help! and Im sorry Ive been such a bad mommy with the bad food- I promise I know better now!
Old June 16th, 2004, 11:11 PM

one other thing - is there a food that is good for both the dogs even given the age difference? (8 mo and 11 yrs) it is obviously much easier if i do not have to have two different kinds
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Kari,you are not a bad mommy,we all learn as we go...I always used to think,if it's advertised on TV"Vet-recommended"it has to be good,but that's a joke
I also did not think Pet-Food manufacturers would make food that would make animals sick,or abuse dogs and cats in testing(IAMs and others I am sure!),but $$$$$ seems to be the bottom line..
Also,I would suspect some vets,will tell you what you want to hear,knowing full well you are feeding your animal crap.
The first thing my vet asks is always"what do they eat?"as with people,the right nutrition is VERY important.
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

While the dog may have allergies to the food this thread reminds me of Moley (my pet name for Molson the Sharpei spelling?).
Every year when it starts to get hot Moley starts to look more like a patches, loosing hair all around his face at first then on the body if his dad doesn't get him to the vet right away for his yearly meds, you can see moley going nuts scratching and his demeaner changes to agrivation (understandable). I'm not sure what causes it but when he gets his meds he is fine then the hair grows back. I will ask him what it is and what meds he gets
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:16 AM

Thanks Iggette-
I would appreciate hearing what that med is - sounds like something for seasonal allergies - which is what my vet is leaning toward as the cause for all this. They believe it isnt as likely to be food as it is something contact or inhalant - however, even they are saying anything is possible at this point.