Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 3rd, 2005, 09:28 PM

Charley came into contact with animals with fleas...

It would appear that my parents' dog and cat have fleas. I found a large number (ohhh soooo gross) while trying to untangle a knot in the dog's fur... Actually, at first I found the tell tale black flecks and figured he was just dirty... The the flecks started to move...

So, the question is, if Charley got his last dose of Revolution on the first of November, do you think he's still covered for flea protection? All the other animals in my house were also treated on the First of November... Do you figure we're ok? I've combed him out, and checked, easy to do since he's mostly white, and didn't find a thing but with a total of 3 cats and 2 dogs in this house it could get out of control pretty fast.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome!
Old December 3rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
-

You should be fine. Check his belly between his back legs. If he has any you will be sure to see them there.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 11:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Having just cleaned up a bout of them in my house, I was told to Advantage my dogs anyways even though the last Sentinel was Nov 1. It appears they are not protect over the winter months, they just won't be bringing any in from the outdoors.

And let me tell you, after the laundering and daily vacuuming,(UGH!) I'd just treat them.!!! Better safe than sorry.
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:28 AM

You could always ask your vet if doing one more treatment of Revolution is a bad thing... It might save you a ton of trouble..
Old December 4th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I honestly would advantage everyone... if you ask the vet for the largest size, and the ml per body weight, then it won't be costly to do the whole gang and you'll have peace of mind.
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:38 AM

I'll call them Tomorrow

I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks everyone, at least I'm not the only one who has the vet on speed-dial
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Vet update

I just wanted to let you know that the vet said that since Charley's been on the Revolution since the spring, and that he came into contact within the first few days of December, that there shouldn't be a problem and that the Revolution should still be effective. Since his coat is white, they didn't feel more meds were needed if I couldn't see anything (that and all the other animals in the house have also been on the Revolution since spring so they would also be protected).
Old December 7th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Thanks for posting that... it's good to know for future reference. Also great that you didn't have to do the whole gang!