Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 26th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Here is a photo of my doggie hope it comes through
Attached Images

Old November 26th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry you are going through this. What a cute little Furby. Give him a kiss on the head from me. for a miracle.....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Great News

Hi everyone if you haven't already noticed I am so happy today, so thankful, I had my prayers answered, the angels came I kid you not, I am so serious more serious than anything I have felt in a long time! Today the Vancouver Humane Society donated 2,000.00 towards Furby's back surgery, as well as a loan from a man for $1700.00 and the Hospital although they DO NOT DO PAYMENT PLANS after talking with me today and visiting Furby have decided to GO AHEAD WITH HIS SURGERY YEP he is having his surgery tomorrow, the major newspaper here one of them THe Province, to all of you that live in BC you would know, may do a story on Furby because I put it out there, I needed the help, I needed my doggy back again the way he was meant to enjoy his life, I HAVE PRIDE, I AM A GIVER NOT A TAKER, BUT SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO ASK .. and today I did, and it worked, I maybe in a little debt going into the New Year IF THE NEWSPAPER DOES NOT do the story, however if they do, the outpour of donations could be amazing, and all donations would be a tax right off and would be donated to the HUMANE SOCIETY DIRECTLY and Furby's balance of his surgery would be paid and the rest would go to help all the other animals that are in need or maybe in need for the future. The Humane Society is posting an all points bulletin a christmas bulletin on the front page of their website about Furby probably tomorrow so I am hoping all of the surgery gets paid. I am so thankful because over the last 5 days I have been so drained, sick, and worried and now I know that things will be ok. Its amazing what is out there if you just pray and ask, I wish it was that easy for other things sometimes but I am glad that people see helping ANIMALS sometimes is more worthwhile than helping human beings, SO MANY PEOPLE RUIN THINGS FOR GOOD PEOPLE, animals can't talk so we have to talk for them, I know Furby wouln't want to be put to sleep or not walk again if there was a way and TODAY I DEDICATED WELL SINCE LAST NIGHT every effort I could to help him, and it worked! God Bless I will keep you updated of course
Attached Images

Old November 27th, 2007, 09:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's great news, sadsam! and for a successful surgery tomorrow!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Paralysis in

What wonderful news, best wishes for you and your pup.
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow Furby
I am wishing you well and healing and much love.

It's amazing you got all of this help, people are so leary as there are so many scam artists out there. Congratulations at succeeding.

When I was off work from critical illness and we had only one small income coming in with horrible bills to pay we needed to borrow money against our home to cover in total over $12,000 in medical costs for our dog.

So I know how expensiive it can be and how we have to make arrangements to pay things. We had no help, did it all on our own and had to pay all up front at well, it can be very very stressful.

I was worried about him at the vets alone over night because of that issue with sitting in his own waste. Hopefully that will not happen any longer that he'll have round the clock care either at can west or with your family at home.

Be sure to get all relevant information from the surgeon as to what he can / cannot do and how to clean him, move him and how to administer the doses and what to watch for.

Praying for a full recovery for Furby
Old November 29th, 2007, 02:49 PM

:thumbs upHey beautiful people.. a lil update Furby's surgery was a success yesterday, he is recovering was in surgery for almost 6 hours but he will be coming home soon then recovery begins. I just got a job yesterday isn't that great? I start next monday things are turning around! I am off to see Furby right now at the hospital as we weren't allowed the day of surgery so I am going to bring him his favorite food and give him kisses I will update you again after I see how he is... talk to you all later Samantha
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

This is a great update! Thank you we're all pulling for him.
Give him a kiss on his forehead from me.
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Day one post op.. furby in a lot of pain very worried he is really buzzed out on pain meds, his urine is dark ? going to talk to dr. abaout it tomorrow I went there 2x today large incision, I guess I would feel horrible after someone cut right through both sides of my tiny back very worried abaout him tonight already phoned again to see how he was doing they increased his pain meds very scared hope the 's are watching him tonight.. he looks so uncomfortable his legs are still straight out in front of him, he looks like he hates me ...hope this doesn't psychological damage him.. I am so scared for him tonight.. gonna try and sleep did you look at the link I sent for the humane society what wonder people let you know how he is tomorrow...goodnight actually 12:58 am here in vancouver gonna try and sleep
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:59 AM

sorry for all the typos.. typed too fast and stressed out.. I usually am pretty acurate at 120wpm lol.. goodnight
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Of course your dog is in pain, but I would let the neuro do his job - he will know best how to handle pain meds etc. This is not a fun surgery, nor is the recovery, but when the day comes that your pup can walk again then it will all be worth it. When your dog is released he will most likely need a sling to support his back end to do his business (after you carry him outside). Since your dog is small you will need something long and not too wide - many people with big dogs use towels, but our guy weighed 10 lbs. so a towel would have had to have been cut into a much narrower strip. Our neuro gave us one of the slings they use - it was still very difficult though - not so much the wetting but the bowel movements - he had to position himself and then fell over. Dachshunds are extremely strong willed and he found this difficult. Finally I gave him some milk and that acted as a laxative and he was able to "go". Once he was allowed to move about more freely, we slept on a mattress on the floor with him, with every entrance to room blocked. Our neuro had just performed the same surgery on his 2 dogs and was also sleeping on the floor with them. Give it a few more days - sometimes it takes longer for one dog to start to recover more than another dog - with our first guy only one side came back - at day 30 feeling developed in other side. As to level of recovery, you won't know for several weeks whether it will be 50, 70, 90% etc. There are no guarantees unfortunately, but hope for the best. It is very possible that your dog may not be given pain meds when he goes home. Certainly damp weather will bother him - my Dachshunds used to hug the radiators - but just take it one day at a time.
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Wanting to know how your dog is doing? Please give us an update if you can. Thank you so much.
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:55 AM

Sorry been really busy back and forth from hospital will have a complete update tomorrow Furby still in recovery and after a torn uretha from the catheter he is now on antibiotics and has to stay a few more days in the hospital I have been visiting 2x a day bringing treats. Still no full use of legs at all.. but that will take time we are ready for him to come home. Still no control over urination.. he isn't emptying his bladder but do you blame him I am also in the beginnings of starting a new job was supposed to start today but the lady that was to train me was ill.. so tomorrow I start really warn out.. I will let you know if we bring Furby home tomorrow its going to be a lot of work, and with out schedules it is going to be hectic but I am so glad he is alive.. he will walk soon....did everyone see that wonderful website ...the Vancouver Humane Society and what they did for Furby? I hope people actually donate to all those poor sick animals even if its not for furby... I am sure there is a huge bill at the end of this?? anyway sorry that I haven't been posting I will tomorrow when I know more ok... thank you again goodnight
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

It is too soon for full use of his legs as yet. Recovery will be gradual.
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:08 AM

Goodevening or should I say now goodmorning, it is 1:03 am here in Port Coquitlam, Furby is home tonight, asleep in his playpen, I am starting my new job in 7 hours yipee so tired, and worried, its very hard to use the sling to get Furby to pee he hasn't had a bowel movement all night, so we are moving the playpen into our room, hopefully we will get some sleep. The hosptial had h im on a wierd med's schedule 6am is his next doses.. I will have to get up in 5 hours and suck it up he is COMFORTABLE, we can tell he is very happy to be home I thank you all for being here, we will keep you updated everyday. We did phsyio therapy on his little legs tonight, and massaged him, and fed him well and loved him and the smells of home relaxed him. He is on coedine for pain, and diazapam (valium?) for anxiety and to relax his bladder which I can't tell if he is peeing or not it is raining here and muddy and dark ?? also he is on an antibiotic for his urinary tract infection but he is ALIVE, he will be at the vet during the day out where we live and we I will pick him up after work. Lots of running around to do but in a few weeks hopefully he will be on his way to the Furby he was! Anyway he is sleeping so hopefully we can get some sleep. Keep you updated.. if anyone else has any suggestions feel free to let me know.. The walking sling is really going to take some getting used too very complicated if you ask me or maybe I am just stupid ..goodnight xoxox
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

The sling is very hard to use on a small dog as I well know. My biggest problem was that my Alpha guy got frustrated when he fell over trying to have a bowel movement and as I am tall it made it very awkward. As I mentioned before, I think you will need to give him something to make him have a bowel movement - I used milk in desperation because I had it -I know some people used pumpkin (not the pie filling!) etc. But the milk did its job - I gave him about 1/2 a cup. Re the not wetting, this was not a problem for my guy when he came home - not sure about my first pup and his surgery because he had to stay in hospital for 40 days - but my second guy was home on a Thursday - surgery was at midnight on the Monday so I was somewhat appalled considering nearly every disc in his back had been worked on. He also was not on meds, but then he didn't have a urinary infection which can cause problems with wetting. Suggest you really watch how many treats you give him as weight will be an issue. Your vet should be able to help you with the bowel movement and wetting issues. You have to take it one day at a time.
Old December 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM

OH I am so mad I just typed the longest post reply to the last post from Snowdancer I am so choked.. I submitted it and its not here? I am not going to type it all over again.. but to sum up everything quickly.. Furby is getting stronger, he is pooing well he had a bad night last night because the Vet forgot to put his diazapam in his going home bag which relaxes his bladder to urinate and so he piddled all night in his bed I had to clean it several times and him, and the floors it was a long night. I was so angry with them... He is at our local vet during the day ... anyway.. his legs are rigid I STILL CAN NOT WORK THE SLING my Guy has figured it out lol got me anyway everyday is better I am FIRM BELIEVER that healing is better at home for sure.... I am sorry to hear about your lil guy and his early discharge from a major surgery snow dancer that is horrible!! and no medications why didn't you do anything about that? What happened?

Anyway I typed alot more in my original post alot more but I have to get going now its the only time I can do anything I am actually home VERY ILL on antibiotics myself as of yesterday with a flu/cold thing and have missed today at my NEW JOB they don't want me there due to disease control lol.. nobody wants to get sick before christmas. So furby is at the vet I am cleaning the house supposed to be resting.. not a chance.. I don't know what happened to the great post I typed but .. oh well... I will keep you updated have to go not well.. Furby is getting stronger everyday keep praying pray: God Bless you all

Samantha:
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

sadsam - there is a "timeout" feature on this site. I have found it helpful to type a long response in e-mail form on in Word and then copy it over to "Reply" in the forum - that way you don't find yourself ready to "send" and see that you have to sign in again. Actually coming home in a few days is the norm these days - shocked the heck out of me. But as far as pain meds go - well Dachshund disc disease is a little different - and while he had meds at Guelph University, they didn't want to drug him up unnecessarily as it could have made him listless and we needed to monitor his progress. But of course our own personal vet was involved and would have given him pain meds if necessary. Happy that he finally had a bowel movement - that was the worst, especially with the sling. Forget ever mastering the sling with a small dog - especially if you are tall as I am. Just have to do the best you can with it. Furby should be showing signs of movement now - he will plateau though at some point over the next few weeks. I don't know if you will get 99% - 70% is enough to live a good life - as long as there isn't a relapse or need for second surgery. But only time will tell. Horrible process I know. My Dachshunds were difficult in that they were so Alpha and their job was to protect Mommy at all costs - nothing like a totally paralzyed Dachshund in a cage at the vet's trying to take on the Rotti in the next cage by eye contact alone. What a guy!
Old December 9th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Well snowdancer today was a much progress day furby's legs are showing strength and improvement his pain meds are done now.. he is urinating and having regular bowel movements he even used his bag legs to scratch behind his ears last night and wags his tail and responds to my touching his paws by curling his toes around my finger.. he even stood by himself for about 3 min this morning eating yipee. The dr. did some pre-emptive work on furby's other discs to prevent future problems removed the jelly substance from a few of his discs so he should be ok. We know nothing is final but I wiill be very careful that he doesn't do any jumping or anything again... he loves to cuddle out of the playpen he is sleeping great and he is eating like crazy.. keep u updated mine is an alpha male to the max! lol I know how that is.. Goodnight talk tomorrow
Old December 9th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I think you were blessed with a Christmas miracle..... I am so happy Furbaby is on the mend...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi, I am sitting at airport so am logged on. Happy to hear that Furbaby is now showing improvement. The little devils end to get over confident once they feel they are getting better and it is hard to keep them in line! Be ever vigilant and watch for any sign of a second "event" - it can be something as simple as Furbaby asking you to help him with something that he normally does himself. Hopefully this won't happen, but if it does, please take him to vet immediately - they will start meds to determine degree of problem. Here is to many year of enjoying Furbaby - I so miss my guy.
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:35 AM

Well he is acting very different tonight can't sit still.. whining and crying and anxious.. thought he was in pain but I think he just wants to get out of the playpen I have been taking him out of course to cuddle physio and he wants to play ball.. he thinks he is the same as before.. thought he was in pain going in for a recheck and suture removal hopefully tomorrow so hard to juggle a brand new job and a doggie that won't stop crying and so fragile! He thinks he is ok.. but he isn't no more coedine finished.. on baby tylenol since last night recommendation of the hospital...as he was whining.. only 4 pills left of the diazapam still on antibiotics... but he is mending... he is just very anxious...driving me nuts everytime I walk away he starts yelping to get out! stressed and tired...but THANKFUL .. where you off too Snow Dancer? at the airport.. hopefully somewhere hot!
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

We got back last night - just beat the storm. Husband had a meeting in Washington DC so I went along on an AC points ticket. How is Furbaby doing now? Definitely he will fight being confined - if only he could realize how much better off he will be in a couple of months - but he can't - and it is very hard on him and you as I know. I hope the pain meds are helping - Dachshunds are very stoical - my first guy wouldn't cry at all if the vet was in the room - only for Mommy. You just have to take it one day at a time and hopefully one day all of the pain will be worth it - this is an absolutely awful surgery with a long after care. One of our vets had trained in California and had seen a few Dachshunds who had undergone the surgery and she warned me that I would seriously be beating myself up for putting my guy through all of this, but that after a few months, if all went well, I would be very grateful that I did. Hang in there.
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]awprin t:[/COLORWell everyone what a change over the last few days. Wow is all I can say. Furby is walking? YEP walking a little wobbly of course, but he is eating, he is not needing his sling on his back legs YEP ITS A MIRACLE... he is no longer on ANY MEDS except one more antibiotic tonight and then he's done. He had his staples removed last week we are not letting him do too much but he really only is in the playpen when we are not home or at bedtime! He has been a lil constipated and won't eat pumpkin like the vet suggested but we are keeping an eye on him. Wish we didn't have to go away for Christmas amymore but my mum bought tickets for us to go to lovely EDMONTON alberta for Christmas so one of the vet assistant's offered to watch Furby for us at her house when we are gone.. 35/day can't complain. Anyway all is good.. OH yeah furby went down the stairs when my daughter was supposed to be watching him I was furious he didn't seem to hurt himself lucky I was at the bottom of the stairs answering the front door.. and it5 just happened ... bad bad sister
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:03 PM

help

Can some one help me or dog had back surgery Friday 12/21 she should no signs of recovery today and the doctor was not very positive how long did recovery take for others?
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

artmark - What breed is your dog - that information would be most helpful - also how severe was the back problem - every disc in my 2 pups' backs and necks were affected - with some dogs only a couple of discs are affected. Dec. 21 was only 2 days ago. If you answer the above questions, I will give some input - but remember there are absolutely no guarantees with this surgery. Also, was surgery performed by a neuro.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM

megs story

hi just thought i'd drop you a line about my border terrier meg, one of the most precious things in my life, anyway i decieded to go on holiday to america, a trip that was planned and paid for before meg came into my life, but not to worry, my mam who looks after meg while i'm at work said she could go there, so home from home really, 4 days into my trip of a lifetime in florida i rang home to see how meg was missing me, and although my mam tried to hide it i could tell in her voice something was wrong, she told me meg had had a bleed from her back passage and was currently at the vets it didn't look good, i was thousands of miles away with nothing i could do, my mam assured me that she would get the best care, it was awful intitially they thought it was parvo and no hope, but meg got some i/vs and some antibiotics and various other treatments she would not eat until my mam took her some stewed steak, she ate that and the vet allowed her home, i was ringing daily at this point and the holiday became just a blur, eventually the holiday was over and i knew meg was home but mam said she couldn't walk her back end was paralysed, when i saw her i was devastated, apart from the fact i had not been there for her she just looked straight through me as if she was drugged up, but anyway i was home and had to do something, she never lost the use of her bladder, but was unable to walk just dragging her back legs it was awful, her paws became sore and would bleed when she went outside on hard surfaces, meg is insured and besides that my parents had offered to pay for any treatments until insurance came through, so i got to work trawling the internet, for help and advice and was urged to get definite diagnosis, so i ordered a MRI scan through the vet with a heafty bill of £1100.00, anyway it showed she had had a spinal bleed and it required physiotherapy as opposed to surgery, another thread advised me about dressings called petflex, which help protect raw areas of skin so again i flound a supplier for that, then meg started hydrotherapy another hefty pricetag, she wasn't that keen, but this all initially happened in september, and she was also prescribed several medications, one back leg recovered quite quickly but the other did not i got her a little booty to protect her foot and wouldtake her to the local park in the car and let her run the best she could it raised her spirits but was heart breaking to watch, any way about 2 weeks ago we got up and meg was walking properly on all 4s but just for about 5 mins, this has progressed quite quickly, and now it has been over a week with no problems what so ever, she back to normal nature wise and then just as if things weren't going well i heard from the insurance all bills would be paid, xmas is back on for us, and great news but i know how desperate you feel at low times, keep loving them, hope this helps
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM

yes a neuro, it was chronic not acute she is 85lbs Mastif/PIt had tail wag and deep pain sensation before surgery now has nothing, surgeon wants us to decide today what to do next
Old December 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Senior Contributor

My first guy was in hospital for 40 days - feeling returned to left side at day 15 but nothing to right side until day 30 - this wonderful Dachshund wasn't going anywhere - had a very strong will to live and vets were looking into a "side" set of wheels. He was an unusual case - and had the surgery during the days when it was still "new" in Canada - but one of our vets had trained in California and had seen the wonderful results - provided surgery worked. Jump forward several years - this guy had Stage II disc disease as it turned out - can't tell this from the neuro's X-Rays - but nuclear fluid leaks on to spinal cord causing spinal cord death (cannot be reversed) in places. This does not show up until the recovery period - and with the success of our first guy's surgery - and this was a dog who apparently never should have walked - and the fact that surgery was required immediately, we had it done. He paralzyed in 15 minutes - very scary - and started movement day 2 after surgery. The neuro had been so optimistic - he came home on day 5 - I was very scared - and we used a sling. But I could see as the weeks went by that he was only going to get about 70% use back which was enough - but at the follow-up neuro warned us that a second event would take place and that surgery would not be an option - so we enjoyed the time we had left - it ws 10 months to day of surgery. But had I known beforehand, I would not have had surgery done - it is a hell of a thing for pup to go through - but as I said, our first guy was a miracle. Personally, I would be very concerned at this point about your dog, but while I would be preparing myself for what might be inevitable, I think that it is a little too soon - would give it a few more days. Of course Dachshund disc disease is a little different and I do know the high cost of daily hospitalization - whether on meds or not - not to mention the high cost of the surgery and that only a few days' recovery time are included in the surgical cost. Every dog is different - there were several Dachshund Moms in the follow-up waiting room - so dogs had had full body surgery and were doing better than those who had perhaps only a few discs affected - just so many variable. I think you will have to go with your neuro's opinion - because there are so many other variables that could be affecting your dog's recovery. And, as I said, there are absolutely no guarantees - dogs sometimes are better before the surgery - but not to the extent that surgery is not required. My uncle was fully paralyzed due to a health condition - his legs went first and he knew that within a number of years so would his upper body. A new surgical procedure became available and was recommended to him, but it was made clear going in that should procedure fail, full paralysis would be immediate - but if successful he would be in the clear. The procedure failed and of course he regretted having the surgery, but still admitted that he would have always wondered. Please let us know how your dog does and don't beat yourself up if your dog does not survive this - you gave him the best chance he had.
Old January 6th, 2008, 06:37 AM

I can be a great help to anyone that has doggies with back surgery my lil guy 2 year old ****zu is wobbly but walking.. he had surgery November 25/07... he is still in recovery.... I noticed some new posts please fell free to ask me anything.. without this forum I dont know what I would hve done great support we are here!