Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 19th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Canadian singer and canine friend kicked off VIA train

Both are to blame here imo....

- The artiste should read the rules before boarding a train or any public/private transport with her pet. People are allergic, people are afraid of dogs and if I were one of those people, I'd be bloody upset to see a passenger with their pet.

- Via rail should throw people off their trains immediately when they break their rules, NOT have the train start going and then throw people off. That's just stoopid.

anyone else have on this?

------------------------
http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome

VIA Rail may have barked up the wrong tree when they booted Jann Arden and her dog off a train headed to Ottawa yesterday. Now Arden is speaking out saying she wasn't aware of the policy.

"People seem to think that I tried to sneak the dog on."

Arden says at least five employees saw her with the dog before boarding in Toronto. But it wasn't until she was on the train and it started moving that an employee said she had to get off at the next stop in Oshawa.

The Canadian singer/song-writer immediately turned to Twitter and vented her frustration to some 38,000 followers.

She says she felt abandoned and had to hire a car to take her the rest of the way in order to make her concert on time.

According to VIA's website, all pets – with the exception of guide dogs – must travel in a baggage car. Arden says she travels with her small dog often.

"Maybe it was me just being naïve, but I fly with her all the time, we pre-book her, pay our little fee, put a little tag on her bag."

Arden is in Ottawa as part of her "Uncovering Canada tour." She performed at the National Arts Centre Sunday night.

With a report from CTV Ottawa's Claudia Cautillo
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Interesting when it is a celebraty that things come to light.
Honestly I am glad it happened and I hope that she can raise enough awareness to help process this.
However, had it happened to an 'every day' person would it be such an outcry? I say not.
She should have done her homework just as everyone else is expected to do.
Just my
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM

I read this a few days ago and found it fairly interesting. Like you, BenMax, I find it funny how it's a big deal now that a celebrity is involved. Obviously she should have looked into the VIA rail rules about bringing pets onboard and followed them like everyone else.

However, on the other hand, I can understand why she was upset. Here in Ottawa, it's almost impossible to go anywhere with your dog if you don't have a car. My two are able to fly with me in the cabin of a plane, but they're not allowed on the bus in their carriers, on the train, it's hard to get a taxi, etc. I find it frustrating because you're trying to be a responsible pet parent and take the dogs to training classes, vet appointments, dog parks (as they're not allowed in most parks nearby), but it's almost impossible. Maybe I'm just spoiled after living in St. John's where dogs in carriers are allowed on public transit, but it's overall just a frustrating situation.

I agree that everyone needs to follow the rules... but I wish the rules were a bit more pet-friendly.
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenamlambe View Post
I agree that everyone needs to follow the rules... but I wish the rules were a bit more pet-friendly.
I agree with you 100%. Heck just finding a place to have your dog(s) off leash is a problem and a half.

I don't buy Marko's comment however about fear and allergies however. Seeing- eye dogs have fur and if anyone is afraid of dog A then the will fear dog B.

There should be maybe a 'class AF' on trains for 'Animal Friendly' cars. They really could make a few bucks by being decent.
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
There should be maybe a 'class AF' on trains for 'Animal Friendly' cars. They really could make a few bucks by being decent.
That's a great idea.

I know some people have allergies, but if dogs/cats are allowed on planes... it's hard to use that argument elsewhere. In planes, the air really is recycled and there is no fresh air to be found. And, as for fear, you're right about it not mattering the type of dog. There are people in my building who won't get in the elevator with me and my 8 pound fluff ball. Plus they could make the rule that the pets have to be in a crate of some sort.
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:04 PM

I had read about this not too long ago. The article had some different info, like how she was given a choice to kennel her dog in a provided crate or get off. Honestly, I believe it is up to the pet owner to ask when policies are not posted.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:53 AM

I have looked at Via before to travel with Leo and quickly found no-pets allowed policy so I didn't use them. I thought it was funny because when I was in Europe I would see people getting off long haul trains with dogs (no kennels) and also in Berlin getting on the subway system (saw a couple with a huge beautiful Ridgeback who looked like he road the subway all the time)
While I agree it should be easier for people with pets to get around, I have no sympathies for someone who thinks they can by-pass policies then cry to the media when they don't get away with it.
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
I have looked at Via before to travel with Leo and quickly found no-pets allowed policy so I didn't use them. I thought it was funny because when I was in Europe I would see people getting off long haul trains with dogs (no kennels) and also in Berlin getting on the subway system (saw a couple with a huge beautiful Ridgeback who looked like he road the subway all the time)
While I agree it should be easier for people with pets to get around, I have no sympathies for someone who thinks they can by-pass policies then cry to the media when they don't get away with it.
I agree with you. Too bad she has not walked into a shelter to see animals lined up for euthanasia. I am certain that if she goes to this length for being kicked off of a train..she could reach far and wide about statitics and shelters/pounds. Now wouldn't that just be the best.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:57 PM

Let's see...

Hi,

I also read this story, and I do agree that because it is a celebrity, it made the news...

I just sent a message to miss Arden via facebook, asking to support those of us who do NOT agree with Loews Hotel in Portofino FL, because they are removing the cat colony there...
Being a public figure and artist, her endorsing this cause could be most beneficial...
Being a pet lover that she is, I am hoping to get a positive reply...

Let's see...

sandyrivers

PS for those interested, you can see the links of the news articles on my post in this forum!
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat