Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Pet free photography

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Talking Something for chico2...and anyone else who wants a peek...

hazel went to the Butterfly House at the Beaver Creek Reserve today
and was reminded of chico2 everywhere she turned.

chico, you'd love this place!! There were monarchs everywhere!

There were monarchs on parsley...
Name:  DSC_1424.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  25.1 KB

...on asters...
Name:  DSC_1426.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  28.6 KB

...and on lantana.
Name:  DSC_1427.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  93.9 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

There were old monarchs...
Name:  DSC_1428.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  19.4 KB

...and young monarchs.
Name:  DSC_1476.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  83.9 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Cools pics.

I haven't seen any monarchs around this year. I want to know where they're at

Maybe it's partially because I don't have many flowers this year. My petunias croaked when it hit 107 degrees awhile back and I didn't replace them. My hostas went downhill when it got to 107 too, but they're perking back up again and flowering.
Usually I see some butterflies around my hummingbird feeders but all I'm seeing are hummingbirds and not even many of them this year
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

There were monarchs on lobelia.

Name:  DSC_1450.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  DSC_1482.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  DSC_1494.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  98.3 KB

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The black-eyed susans were hosting a few...
Name:  DSC_1485.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  20.8 KB

...as were the hollyhocks...
Name:  DSC_1488.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  74.8 KB

...and a few monarchs even visited the nectar feeders.
Name:  DSC_1496.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  84.3 KB

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

But mostly, there were monarchs on the Joe-Pye weed!

Name:  DSC_1452.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  DSC_1454.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  DSC_1420.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  28.9 KB

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM

Wow that's a lot of Monarchs! Do they have other kinds of bflys there too?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

madame hazel is going to try to remind me to get some Joe-Pye weed for the garden next year...
I couldn't believe how the monarchs went after it!

Name:  DSC_1464.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  93.7 KB

Once the season is over (I think the week after Labor Day), they take the mesh cover off the butterfly house and let the butterflies go.
The monarchs will fly south to Mexico and return next year.
So maybe next spring, some of these very monarchs will stop at your house, chico!

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
Cools pics.

I haven't seen any monarchs around this year. I want to know where they're at

Maybe it's partially because I don't have many flowers this year. My petunias croaked when it hit 107 degrees awhile back and I didn't replace them. My hostas went downhill when it got to 107 too, but they're perking back up again and flowering.
Usually I see some butterflies around my hummingbird feeders but all I'm seeing are hummingbirds and not even many of them this year
107!!!!! *gasp* Way too hot for life!

We've had an exceptionally moderate summer, though, MBIE, and we haven't seen monarchs in any great numbers, either. I have to go to the Reserve to see them

Hummingbirds, however, are another matter. We're still hanging nectar for the migrating birds--the migration is starting to wind down, though. Going through less than a gallon of nectar a day now.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Wow that's a lot of Monarchs! Do they have other kinds of bflys there too?
Funny you should ask!

Eastern comma butterfly partaking of a little yummy rotting apple core.
Name:  Eastern comma A.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  21.3 KB Name:  Eastern comma B.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  94.6 KB

A cabbage white on some goldenrod.
Name:  Cabbage white.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  82.6 KB

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Senior Contributor

As far as butterfly attracting flowers go my Bougainvillea always attracted a ton of different butterflies (and lots of monarchs) and hummingbirds. I just ordered a new one since the last one I brought in for the winter the cats knocked off a cabinet and then my dog ate it
I can never find them at any garden stores or anything (though that's where I got my first one) but you can order them online and they're stunning.

They don't survive the winters, but they're super easy to keep potted, cut back and bring in over the winter. Just over the summer they will grow into a huge vine (just attach them to a trellis or something) and grow lots of flowers. They're a low water plant too, which is nice.

Not trying to threadjack, I just had to share since that's my favorite flower and I try to convince everyone else to get one
Maybe if more people buy them more stores will carry them.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A mustard white on tall boneset.
Name:  Mustard white.JPG
Size:  74.7 KB

Two cabbage whites ensuring the next generation (cover your eyes! ).
Name:  DSC_1470.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  96.3 KB

And two star-crossed lovers... A bit of a mismatch, but they say opposites attract.
Name:  DSC_1497.JPG
Size:  90.6 KB

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

There was a clear-winged sphinx moth hanging around just outside the butterfly house,
partaking of some phlox and totally unconcerned that there were a bunch of pesky humans gathered around with cameras.
Name:  Clear-winged sphinx moth.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  26.3 KB

And finally, inside the butterfly house but not a butterfly, I found this character.
Name:  DSC_1463.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  78.0 KB

hazel loves walking sticks!
The walking sticks aren't a planned part of the show--they just make their way inside and hang out with the visitors.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; August 24th, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
As far as butterfly attracting flowers go my Bougainvillea always attracted a ton of different butterflies (and lots of monarchs) and hummingbirds. I just ordered a new one since the last one I brought in for the winter the cats knocked off a cabinet and then my dog ate it
I can never find them at any garden stores or anything (though that's where I got my first one) but you can order them online and they're stunning.

They don't survive the winters, but they're super easy to keep potted, cut back and bring in over the winter. Just over the summer they will grow into a huge vine (just attach them to a trellis or something) and grow lots of flowers. They're a low water plant too, which is nice.

Not trying to threadjack, I just had to share since that's my favorite flower and I try to convince everyone else to get one
Maybe if more people buy them more stores will carry them.
Low maintenance, eh? Sounds like hazel's kind of plant! How do you keep them over winter? And does that mean you keep them in a pot when they're outside all summer?

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, you CAN plant them in the ground, but then you have to dig them up and bring them in for the winter, which disturbs their root system and they have kind of sensitive roots, so I don't do that.

They do just fine in a pot all summer and will still grow into a long vine, that's how I grow them.
When it starts to get cold you cut the vine back to about a foot and bring it in the house over the winter. If it's in a warm room with lots of sunlight it might keep growing but usually they just go dormant until you bring them outside when it gets warm again.

I ordered mine from here http://www.bgi-usa.com/, and they also have all kinds of info on care.

My plant ships out tuesday so I'll see then in what condition and stuff it gets here. They had lots of good reviews though.
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:02 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Let me know! Will you start them outside this fall already?

Old August 24th, 2009, 12:19 AM

Cool Walking Stick

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 24th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Let me know! Will you start them outside this fall already?
Yeah. It should have a couple of months out there, it usually stays warm here for awhile.

I'll post pics when I get it, it's kind of a neat white and pink strain. The normal ones are just pink.

It MIGHT keep growing in my house because I'm going to put it in my back room where it will be fairly warm and I'll have plant lights up for my tropical plants, but they're hard to grow indoors, so we'll see.
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww Hazel,thank you for telling me,I blame getting a new PC etc..
Beautiful,beautiful pics and yes,I would have loved it

It seems I am getting more Monarchs right now,a little late,isn't it?
Any plant I buy has to say"attracts Butter-Flies".
We have a Butterfly-place here too not too far away.
Maybe we'll go before they are all gone.
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Look at all those beautiful butterfly's!! and a walking stick? don't think I have ever saw one.

I love the marking of the caterpillar on the leaf
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I thought you might enjoy them, chico! I wasn't expecting quite that many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
It seems I am getting more Monarchs right now,a little late,isn't it?
I think it's about the right time for them to head south. Around here, the major push is through September.

When I buy plants, I look for the ones with both hummer and butterfly markers on them! I may just buy a flat from a catalogue nursery cuz we're so far from the place that sells native plants here. But every time I go into town, I try to find at least one plant to bring home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
Look at all those beautiful butterfly's!! and a walking stick? don't think I have ever saw one.

I love the marking of the caterpillar on the leaf
Walking sticks are really cool! We get them here, too, only ours are green and not quite that big.

The caterpillar is a monarch-in-waiting...you should have seen the milkweed plants in the butterfly house--chewed to ribbons! I think they need more milkweed plants if they're going to have that many monarchs again next year.

Old August 25th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Half Way To Crazy

are they always that color??

The monarch caterpillar

the only caterpillars we see have very fuzzy fur in all colors.
the one I saw this morning that Archer wanted to eat was a pale yellow with long black kinda spikes coming out of it's back
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I think the monarch caterpillar might start out brown when it's very small, then turns greener with the striping as it grows. But that's just a guess--I don't remember for sure.

Bendyfoot might know. I think she's into bugs.

Old August 25th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I think the monarch caterpillar might start out brown when it's very small, then turns greener with the striping as it grows. But that's just a guess--I don't remember for sure.

Bendyfoot might know. I think she's into bugs.

BENDY Where are you????
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Geek Club CEO

AAAKK!!!! I'm here, I'm here!!!

Even little wee bitty baby monarch caterpillars have the distinct white/yellow/black stripes...it's their defense mechanism: a bright, bold warning that says "DANGER! I'M POISONOUS!!!"
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Cool! Tri-colors from birth!

Old August 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Geek Club CEO

Old August 25th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Bendy what about pale yellow caterpillars with black spikes coming out of their backs. what kind of butterfly's are they??

guess I will have to tell Archer that they are not good to eat or play with. lol lol
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Geek Club CEO

are the spikes fuzzy or just extensions of the skin?
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
are the spikes fuzzy or just extensions of the skin?

fuzzy...........

I should have gotten a picture butIwas more worried that Archie was going to eat it.