Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 21st, 2008, 02:19 PM

Wellness concerns

hi all

havent written in quite some time... life is busy and health concerns with family and pets kept me busier...

need to post about wellness food here both cat and dog and would like some feedback. i have read about several whose cats were turning their noses up at wellness, both in these forums and in other pet forums.

I have fed both dog and cats wellness for almost a year with no concerns, until the last month. My kitty pantera has never, ever turned her nose up at food, some she leaves and comes back to.. depends on the consistency others she gobbles up. two weeks ago she vomited, then flat out refused to eat wellness turkey and salmon. i took her off it immediately, started her back on merrick, and while she eats it more slowly because of the chunks she is eating it all.

My dog riker has been on wellness core, and in the last few weeks have noticed an eye that is a bit runnier, last year zero goop in the eyes, and stools are darker. i hope i am wrong about this but i do know there was an ownership change with wellness, and am extremely concerned about any quality changes we dont know about yet. i am thinking of switching him over to natures variet instinct or something similiar in the next few weeks. I know my cat was not just being finicky.

anyway would like any feedback from all feeding dogs or cats wellness, and also would like to make you just aware not to just let this go... hope i am wrong and its all nothing... but with all the food recalls/takeovers/quality issues.. i think we should monitor this...

thanks for listening to the ramble.. look forward to the feedback
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Humm - I don't feed wellness, so I cannot comment - but I am certain others can. I can't wait to read what they say since I am planning on changing my cat and dog food.
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:41 PM
-

I don't feed Wellness either but I would think that ir does have something to do with the change of ownership. I wonder if they changed manufacturing plants as well?

That's why I prefer to feed a brand that has it's own manufacturing plant.
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM

We have been feeding our guy Wellness core since we found out about CANIDAE's changes. He has much less gas since switching and no complaints, but starting a week ago one of his eyes did start to run a bit -- could that be from food? I never knew that food can affect somethign like eye gunk... will be watching his closely, if anything will seem off, i will have to swtich (here we go again..........)

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM

No issues here with the Wellness grain free canned food our cats get. I guess we'll keep an eye out for problems.

We tried our dog (Shabbado) on Wellness Core but she ended up with dry fur and itchies. The only food that gave her bad eye gunk was Evo red meat. She's being fed raw now without any issues at all.
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:13 PM
Owned by Saints

I feed Wellness canned.. no issues here either. Although I didn't get the turkey and salmon this time.

Maybe shoot them an email and give them the code on the can. Can't hurt to check...
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM

thanks for the feedback... a friend of mine had the same experience with the herring version of wellness grainfree canned a afew weeks ago as well.. which is why i thought i would post
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I feed wellness indoor dry (not the core) and no change in their eating habits here. Also feed a variety (different flavours all the time) of the cans and the indulgence pouches.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi
I just ordered wellness today for the first time.

I ordered the:
turkey
chicken
beef

The turkey and salmon u mentioned is that two different kinds or turkey and salmon mixed together in 1 can?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:19 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Hi
I just ordered wellness today for the first time.

I ordered the:
turkey
chicken
beef

The turkey and salmon u mentioned is that two different kinds or turkey and salmon mixed together in 1 can?

Debbie

Here are the different varieties of Wellness canned...

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_w...can_index.html
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Owned by Saints

I just opened a can of the chicken and herring this morning for Louie and Demon. No issues with them eating it.

loopoo do you know the expiry dates on those cans?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I have been feeding my dogs Wellness Core for about 4 months, and noticed that the kibbles were a different shape & size in the last batch that I bought. It was a very noticeable difference, so something has changed. I hadn't been impressed with the results I was getting anyway, but had planned on giving it more time as I had just switched off Canidae. All the dogs had nasty ears and goopy eyes on the Canidae, and the goopy eyes seemed to clear up on the Wellness, but the ears have not. I also notice that my little mutt has terrible gas on the Wellness, and my newfie girl has dry, flaky skin. I will be switching them off the Wellness soon.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM

my cans were may 05 2011 dated not sure of the dates on my friends who had the chicken/herring cans
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I don't feed Wellness either but I would think that ir does have something to do with the change of ownership. I wonder if they changed manufacturing plants as well?

That's why I prefer to feed a brand that has it's own manufacturing plant.
Rainbow, did Wellness have a change of ownership? I haven't heard about any changes of ownership? The only thing I've heard about with Wellness was a few months ago when they started selling their food at more chain stores, specifically Petco. There was concern that with their food being offered at Petco, quality would suffer because of more demand. But when I spoke to Wellness at that time, they assured me there was no change of ownership, no plant change, and no recipe or ingredient changes planned. They are already manufactured at a large third party plant (my one issue with them all along, but their quality has always been good and they use human grade inspectors onsite, so I've always still recommended them). I haven't heard of any of that changing since I last spoke to them. Have you heard something? I don't feed Wellness either, but I follow all the major foods very closely. Has anyone contacted Wellness to ask about the issues some are seeing with some batches?

Last edited by Smiley14; October 23rd, 2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM

i believe that catterton sold its shares of wellness to berwind corp some time in aug. they do own eagle pack as one of its food companies i think? last i read.. somewhere but would need to find it is that wellness at that point was looking for a new manufacturer facility. thats about all i know.. if anyone can find anymore please post.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Posted Friday, August 15, 2008, 4:08 p.m., EDT

Catterton Partners, a private equity firm based in Greenwich, Conn., has sold its investment in Old Mother Hubbard Inc./Wellness Pet Food of Tewksbury, Mass., in a reported $400 million deal.

Various financial publications have reported Berwind Corp., a family-owned investment management company based in Philadelphia, acquired the company from Catterton and the Scott family, which bought the pet food maker in 1961 and later recapitalized under Catterton. Berwind does not currently plan to respond to requests to confirm the deal.

Berwind’s strategy, however, is to pay cash for 100 percent ownership of its portfolio companies. It implements a buy-and-hold strategy, targeting companies with high gross margins. It has stated in plans to invest $1 billion over the next three years on platform companies and bolt-on acquisitions.

Berwind currently considers Eagle Pack Pet Food of Mishawaka, Ind., which it acquired last October, as one of its platform companies.

Deborah Ellinger, former chief executive officer of Old Mother Hubbard, is no longer with the company.

TheDeal.com reported that Catterton had hired Lehman Brothers Inc. to sell Old Mother Hubbard/Wellness last year, but that the auction was scrapped amid pet food recall concerns. Catterton, which reportedly invested $45 million in the company, maintains an investment in Nature’s Variety of Lincoln, Neb.

Old Mother Hubbard has annual estimated revenues of about $150 million, FactSet Flashwire reported.<HOME>
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys!!!
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM

We've had both our dogs on Wellness Core for about 3 months. I hadn't noticed a change in the kibble in our last bag purchased last week. We probably haven't gotten the new batch yet.

Our beagle has some eye gook, but our vet attributed it to his seasonal allergies. I can relate as my allergies have been bad in the past month too. Our other boy has not had any issues on it at all.
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Mmmm, funny that the original offender in this thread was Turkey and Salmon. I opened a can of it the other day and put it on the plates for the kitties. I pulled out a piece, probably 5 or 6 inches in length, of what looked like fishing line. I think it was plastic but still, either way, it didn't belong in the food. Although...... fishing line..... maybe the food really is fresh!
Anyway, I have sent off pics to Wellness at their request. Waiting for second reply. They are sending coupon(s) to replace can.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I had an issue with Puddles and Jasper going off Wellness back in the summer. I ended up feeding Jasper Instinct and mixing some Fromms with Puddles Wellness.

They haven't had a problem with it lately.

14+ A fishing line . Thought Wellness was made in a human grade facility with human grade meat??

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:24 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Well, if it was fishing line I could actually see how it would end up in the food. Line does have a habit of getting tangled so if it got tangled around a fish fin or something and not noticed it could potentially end up in the food. I don't know. I'm fishing here. (No pun intended) It could have been plastic. They haven't asked for it to be sent to them yet. We shall see. I would think they would want to identify it.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Owned by Saints

After reading your post I picked through the can of Turkey and Salmon I'm currently feeding Louie and Demon. LOL No fishing line but I did find some tiny bone fragments. After the issues I had with Felidae canned I'm getting frustrated.

I'm seriously thinking about switching everyone to frozen raw.
Old November 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I feed my gang Wellness grain free, and am getting ready to switch. I don't think they are finding it as appetizing as they used to, and the price has gone up in the last two months.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/