Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old November 5th, 2004, 12:31 AM

Bichon Poo

My boyfriend and I have decided that a Bichon Poo is a breed that we would like to consider adopting. If anyone knows of any we live in London and are willing to travel. We are preferably looking for a younger dog. Thanks for the help with this.
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Senior Contributor

A "Bichon Poo" is not a breed. It's a mix of Bichon and Poodle and the shelters and rescues are full of mixed breed dogs.

You can check all the listings for ON shelters. You can also try the Pom and Small Breed Rescue - they often have small mixes for adoption.
http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/ON56.html
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:38 AM

Thanks Lucky. I've been keeping my eye on petfinder waiting for the right dog to come up. One of the issues that I have been finding is that a lot of the dogs are not good with cats. Just so I don't seem stupid I did realize that a bichon poo is not a breed. Bad wording on my part! A bichon poo is the mix that we are most interested in because we have had good experiences with them. Of course we are open to other small breeds as well.

As for the Pom and Small breed rescue they will not adopt out to someone under 25 years of age which is unfortunate.
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:20 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy82
As for the Pom and Small breed rescue they will not adopt out to someone under 25 years of age which is unfortunate.
What .... really
Old November 5th, 2004, 08:45 AM

Yep--apparently age=ability to care for a living creature.

I do not agree. Just because you are 25 (not 24 or 23 or whatever) does not mean you have the money, time or ability to care for a rescued pet. In fact, I think age is a completely illogical way of eliminating people from adopting. There are a lot of people in this age group---just starting out after university who would love to adopt a new small breed dog to be the first addition to their family.

People want younger adults to learn how to make the right choices but are then discriminated against bc of age. If rescues won't allow younger 20 something's to adopt then they often go to the newspaper or pet store....I'd say that's a worse choice.

Also, I don't know about any of you out there---but correct me if I am wrong---there remain a lot people over the age of 25 that could be deemed less able to care for a puppy/dog than a younger 20 something with time, energy and enough spunk to keep up with an active pet.

....all I'm saying is that there are many other important factors that should be used to determine placements before age comes into play.
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

You are so right lilkirk. Age should have nothing to do with ability to care for an animal. I have been caring for my dogs since I was 16. My parents felt you have to earn the right to have and care for an animal. I know people in their forties I would never leave an animal with even for a day and they think they know what they are doing. Idon't know if all the rescues discriminate like this but keep checking.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:46 PM

So true Mastifflover.

The only rescue I can refer that allows individuals younger than 25 is the Chihuahua Rescue and Transport---of course this won't get you your Bichon Poo mix.
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:01 PM

Hi,
I have three bichon-poos for adoption.Two males one female 10-11 weeks old.Please contact me at kimc7622@yahoo.ca
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:05 PM

How much is the adoption fee for the puppies Kim and what does it include?
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:00 AM

To anyone who wants to adopt from Kim, or anyone else calling themselves a rescue, ask questions first, not later, you may be in for some heartache.

Some questions to ask

Where did the dog/puppy come from? Most rescues get their dogs from shelters for free, or pay shelter fee's. Never from pet stores or puppy millers, as this only enables them to continue their cruelty. Kinda defeats the whole propose of shutting them down doesn't it? If a "rescuer" is buying puppys from a puppy miller at a reduced cost, you have to wonder WHY?? perhaps there is a medical problem making it impossible to sell them at a petstore? This could mean huge vet costs, and plenty of heartache, better to reasearch fully before adopting.

What vet work has been done? Reputable rescues always spay and neuter their pets before placement, do heartworm tests, microchipped, shots, etc. Make sure a full vet check has been done, not just a screening. Ask to speak to thier vet if you are concerned about anything.

Ask the rescue for references! If they are good at what they do, other rescues will know! There are many good rescues out there, no need to support the brokers out there in it for money, and using the good name of "rescue" to do it. The animals only end up paying for it, as well as the adopter.