Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM

Great news about the stray I found!

I had found a stray last monday who was VERY skinny and very lethargic. I took her and my other dog, Ozzy, to the vet and both are free of any icky viruses. The stray, who we have named Sharon, does not have heartworms and is now very healthy and gaining lots of weight. She is very sweet and loves Ozzy. They play all day and are very happy together. Sharon did not have a microchip so no luck in finding her original owners. We have decided to make her an addition to the family!
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Senior Contributor

awww thank you for taking her in....can we see pics?
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janedizzle View Post
I had found a stray last monday Sharon did not have a microchip so no luck in finding her original owners.
That's not true. What of someone has only placed ads in the paper? What if someone called their local animal shelter and filled out a lost report?

Thanks for taking care of this poor stray.

ACO22
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
-

I agree ....found ads in the paper are usually free and not all dogs have microchips.

Even though she was skinny and lethargic it doesn't mean that she was uncared for. She could have been stolen, got loose from someone, got picked up by someone else who lived in a different location and then got loose again, got lost from a vehicle while travelling, etc.

Someone "could" be desperately missing their pet and I think you "should" advertise more to see if her owners are looking for her. Did you contact the spca and all the pounds and shelters in your area as well? Did you put up posters saying that you found a dog? Have you checked all the lost & found pet websites on the internet?

I really thank you for looking after her and nourishing her back to a healthy state but you should think of someone that may "truly" be missing their pet.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
banned user

I am glad this poor dog has found you BUT I hope you have exhausted all avenues to try and find the owner other than just looking for a microchip....call all the shelters in the area, look for all the postings in shopping centres, on posts and all the pounds in the area. Having lost a dog many months ago, it is heartbreaking not to know what has happened to your dog....so many are picked up and dropped off miles from home and the owner has no way of knowing where they have gone unless wonderful kind folks like you try and reunite them with their caring families.
There are so many of us here Sable, Billie, Spencer, Penney and many more who have just vanished but not forgotten...please make sure you have tried to find the owner.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
NOT a senior member

I agree with the other posters. I have found strays and although I have been "tempted" to add them to my family, you cannot really know that they are not lost instead of a homeless stray unless you have exhausted all avenues.
The best place for stray dogs IMO is at a place where an owner can locate them, and this would be at the humane shelter or city pound. This is the first place that most people look if their animal is lost and missing.
You can always check up on the animal later if you are interesting in adopting it, and some shelters will actually ask you if you are interested...should the owner not come forward.
Years ago I had lost a dog, and hoped and prayed that someone cared enough to bring him to a shelter where I knew he would be safe and I could find him. My biggest fear was him being hurt, killed, or even someone wanting to keep him for their own. Thanks goodness we found him.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
I am glad this poor dog has found you BUT I hope you have exhausted all avenues to try and find the owner other than just looking for a microchip....call all the shelters in the area, look for all the postings in shopping centres, on posts and all the pounds in the area. Having lost a dog many months ago, it is heartbreaking not to know what has happened to your dog....so many are picked up and dropped off miles from home and the owner has no way of knowing where they have gone unless wonderful kind folks like you try and reunite them with their caring families.
There are so many of us here Sable, Billie, Spencer, Penney and many more who have just vanished but not forgotten...please make sure you have tried to find the owner.
Shirley, I often think of you and the others that have lost your beloved pets and are still trying so hard to find them.

I hope that one day you will all be reunited.