Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 11th, 2007, 10:57 PM

Need drastic help at wits end.

Okay, MY dog is a piece of work. I love him dearly. But I am going to go crazy. Everytime I leave the house a moment later he runs and pees all over. He doesn't go during the night and as long as he isn't mad he doesn't pee in the house. I have a crate which I put away because he just pee's in it and then he licks his pee a few times (Gross) and doesn't care and lays in it. If you raise your voice and say he isn't a good boy he runs away and pee's. He pee's if he is ignore just for a minute while feeding other animals. He pee's. He just pee's. I need help, he can't be peeing when I leave. even if other people are in the house, I leave he pee's. SO PLEASE HELP... by the way he is 9 months old.
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Doggie Wench

It doesn't sound like he's mad, it sounds like he's anxious. Poor fellow. Has he seen a vet to rule out any physical problems first? Does he pee when you are with him or just when you leave?
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:13 AM

he pee's when I am with him once in a blue moon. Usually when I don't pay attention to him or if he is scolded for something. A few months back he got fixed and they did blood work and they said everything is fine. i dunno i feel bad, he knows peeing in the house is wrong. I just don't know anymore. I wonder if he doesn't feel it. He asks to go out. But sometimes he stands there and just starts peeing and as he is peeing he takes off while peeing. So there is a trail of pee. I tell him it's bad to go in the house and praise him like crazy when he goes outside. I wonder if he has weak blatter... sigh.. i dunno what to do.
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:17 AM

well I was in the bathroom, everything was fine he followed me. I went to the kitchen poured a glass of pop my female cousin went in the fridge and all of a sudden I heard a peeing sound I turn around and see King peeing in the chicken. I didn't even say anything but he looked like he knew he was wrong. He was out about 2 hours ago. I dunno sigh.
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

If everything was fine a few months back it doesn't mean everything is fine now, perhaps he has a bladder infection, and yes he may just have a weak bladder, but there are medications for that.

What do you do after you scold him and HOW are you scolding him? In some cases it sounds like he's peeing submissively in response to your reaction.
As far as the peeing when you leave, are you taking him out right before you leave? How often do you take him out in the first place?

Why did you put the crate away simply because he'll lay in it? Most puppies will have some accidents and lay in their pee, it sounds like you gave up pretty quickly because you didn't feel like cleaning him off.

How did you house train him in the first place. You say he knows not to pee in the house, well if he knows it's wrong, then why is he doing it? It's never good to anthromorphize a dog, they don't maliciously pee in your house, they don't reason to themselves, and they don't pee in the house after taught not to do so unless their house training isn't perfect yet, they're challening you (DEFINATELY not the case here), they are anxious, or there is some kind of medical issue. Your dog is not capable of reason to the point of concluding whether or not he should or should not be mad at you and his reactions are largely based on YOUR reactions and his enviroment. For instance, you walk in, see pee, you look mad and your dog sulks away as if he knows he's done something wrong. He sulked away because you're mad, not because he peed on the floor and knows it's wrong. He doesn't necessarily associate his peeing with you being mad and realize that it's the wrong thing to do.

Overall it sounds like you just don't have enough patience for a puppy and your lack of patience and overraction have lead to a submissive peeing problem among other things. It may just sound like that because your puppy does truely have serious issues that you are having trouble dealing with, but that's the impression I get from your posts, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

Your first move should be a trip to the vet, and afterwards and analysis of your training up to this point to see where you went wrong.
Also, where did you get this puppy? Puppies that were kept in cages (such as at a puppy mill or pet store) and forced to lay in their own waste often have trouble with crate training and sometimes house training.
How old was he when you got him, and are you sure how young he was taken from his mother and littermates? Dogs that were seperated too young often have seperation anxiety. A form of seperation anxiety can be eliminating in inappropriate places when you leave because being alone or away from you scares him. Your reaction to such behavior could have caused him to become more anxious and possibly submissive which will only worsten the problem, causing inappropriate elimination at other times. Even if your dog was seperated at an appropriate age, anxiety can still be an issue because some dogs are just more likely to have this problem.

Hopefully I don't sound like I'm just bashing you, but the response to these questions can help get a good analysis of the situation in order to reach the best solution.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; October 12th, 2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM

First off, I don't think you are bashing, you are being honest and I think that honesty is the best.

When I scould him, I raise my voice to almost a yelling at times and say NO, Bad boy. And I put him outside and if he does his business while outside I praise him.

I got him from a pet store. I believe I got him when he was 2 to 4 months old. I do know where the best store got him because the breeder also has training classes and I went to a few free classes.

I take him out atleast 6 times a day.

Sometimes five minutes after I let him out and he pee's he'll pee in the house.

I was cleaning him today I noticed this hard discharge in the hair near his penis tip. So yeah I don't know if that is normal so I am going to be taking him to the vet as soon as possible. If you do have any training tips I'll take them. Thanks for the help.
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM
banned user

My thoughts would be that in addition to having your dog vet checked I would approach the problem from the perspective of management first and training second as there is a distinct difference that can be crucial.
I would suggest also never punish or scold your dog in this case and always remain calm and patient .

It can be difficult to rehab what is termed as a "dirty dog" which is a dog that has no apparent reluctance to lay or sit in it's pee or poo. Strict management/control over the dogs eating times and amounts along with close supervision will possibly be the key to a resolution and with patience,consistancy, and time hopefully you can succeed!

good luck

cheers

Last edited by Blathach; October 13th, 2007 at 11:22 AM. Reason: LAST WARNING, NO SELF PROMOTION!!!
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:57 PM

For what it is worth, here is my opinion.
A. Go to the Vet and check for Urinary Tract infection, etc...
B. Strict feeding schedule at least 2 times a day. Fresh water always out.
C. Start all over in the house training dept. Take him out every hour and say, "Go to the bathroom", do not get mad or aggrevated (sorry I can't spell). Stay out till he pees. When he does say good bathroom, good boy, give him lovins and hugs and take him back in.
D. If you see him going to a corner or circling around as if getting ready to urinate, take him out (even if you just brought him in). Or if he walks and stands by the door.
D. If he ever urinates in response to your anger, ignore it or you will make it worse. He can't help this, it is from fear or low self esteem.
E. Don't let him see you clean up the messes and be sure to use something to totally get rid of the oder. On hard floors, clorox wipes work good. On carpet, use a spot shampoo thing (about $30. at walmart), and then pet odor removal.
E. If you find that you can't fix this problem yourself. Hire a professional that can help with his self esteem. Pet him on under his chin and on his chest instead of the top of his head.
F. Get the crate back out but never put him in it to punish him. Only to sleep or when you are not home. Get a bigger crate and divide it where he can go in both sides. Put an absorbant pad in one side. Put the crate in your bedroom where he can sleep in the same room. The first night may be rough, just don't give in and let him out for whining. Leave the crate open during the day when you are home and put toys he likes in the crate. A few times a day, lure him in with a treat and when he goes in, praise him and give him the treat but let him come right back out. At night when you put him in, give him a treat (a small soft treat that will not dry his throat). Put a cover over the sleeping side of the crate so he will feel safe in it. Leave the T.V on low when you go to work and he is in the crate so he won't feel alone.

I'm not implying that any of this is easy. I have a 7 month Doberman pup and am going through the whole young pup thing. He went through little bouts of the submissive urinating thing. Thank God I had read up on everything so I did not inadvertantly make it worse. I also have an older dog who must go out about every 3 hours so the pup thinks that is what he should do also. He can go for longer periods but wakes up every night at around12:30am, and 3:30am because that is what he is used to. Then time to get up at about 5:45am. I can't remember the last time I had a whole nights sleep w/o getting up. It is all part of it. My older dog can't help himself and my pup is just a pup. I also have a third dog. Anyway, I hope this helps you in some way. It is a hard road but well worth the effort you put in it.

Have a great day, Sheila
Old October 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
The Groomer

oh dear, a pet store puppy, yes then it could deffinately be health or just his temperament. pet store puppies come from bad places. The lady may seem like a good breeder cause she does training classes but no good breeder sells their pupppies to stores to sell. Good breeders carefully place all of their puppies themselves.
Badly bred pups are far more prone to health and temperament issues. I suggest finding a GOOD trainer that combines positive reinforcement with discipline. (not the pet store "breeder") Then discuss these issues with them and they should be able to help you.
But first head off to the vet!
Bear-Pomeranian/shih tzu/terrier and Stryder-Mini Poodle
Markie-Thoroughbred and Vega-Thoroughbred
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:08 PM

I went to the vet. He is fine in every aspect. Things I noticed, when he is overly excited he tinkles. And the other thing, when he doesn't seem to get what he wants, he pee's so now I am looking in to classes. He has been better though. Only once today.

I can not leave water out all the time because he will make himself sick on water. I had him checked for diabets and there i none. I have had all his blood work done. He is in perfect health.

Also he has ony went pee once today in the house which is a big improvement and none the last week. So I am getting there

Thanks for all the help
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:37 AM
border collie mama

good job, you definately are getting there, it was good that you got him checked for diabetes, but keep it up and your/his problems should be fixed soon.